Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Homeowners ins+trampoline = fail....help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/homeowners-ins-trampoline-fail-help-252608.html)

bostiguy 06-29-2013 09:16 PM

Homeowners ins+trampoline = fail....help

After owning our home for about 4 years now and having a 5 year old daughter, I recently went out and bought her a trampoline with a complete enclosure net.
You pretty much couldn't fall out of this thing even if you were trying.
So, I tried to do the responsible and right thing, I called my homeowners insurance to inform them of my new purchase, more than willing to pay an increase in premium.
I was told they don't cover trampoline and through much of my research I have determined most insurance companies won't even offer any coverage because of the risk.
Today I received a noticed from my insurance company that they are dropping me in about 6 weeks if we do not completely remove the trampoline. This sucks because we are great at paying our premiums and everything else they could ask for.
Now obviously the first conclusion may be to just get rid of the trampoline but I REALLY don't want to break my little girl's heart, she loves this thing. God forbid she play outside, get fresh air and exercise. Our yard is completely fenced in, the trampoline is fully enclosed, she knows she is not allowed to play in it without securing the zipper...

this sucks, any ideas? :banghead:

n00g7 06-29-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostiguy (Post 3912514)
this sucks, any ideas? :banghead:

Give it to your neighbor, they won't be silly enough to call their insurance company.

I don't mean it in a bad way, but why would you call them?

PecosRiver 06-29-2013 09:22 PM

Remove the net, cover it with a table cloth, and surround it with chairs. PICNIC TABLE!

OK, seriously? Remove it and store it for a month or two and bring it back after you are inspected.

Good warning for all here, DON'T TELL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY SQUAT!

n00g7 06-29-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecosRiver (Post 3912535)
Good warning for all here, DON'T TELL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY SQUAT!

And don't invite kids of parents you don't know REALLY well to come over and play. People will sue you for anything these days.

Umbrella insurance is also a good idea, then you don't have to worry about informing the bean counters of your activities so much. Play with lawn darts and accidentally skewer the neighbor kid to the fence? You're covered!

bostiguy 06-29-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3912528)
Give it to your neighbor, they won't be silly enough to call their insurance company.

As I stated, I was willing to do the right thing and pay for a premium increase. I didn't think they would cancel me.
Really though, it's all jokes until someone may get hurt, you know, an accident. I was planning to cover my butt and be protected. Yet again, being a nice guy and trying to do the right thing backfires.

btw, what is umbrella insurance? I'll look into that if it's an option.

Jeep.chick 06-29-2013 09:41 PM

Umbrella policies.... A must when you have a family to protect!

Barmanvarn 06-29-2013 10:16 PM

That doesn't make sense. If that won't cover it fine but why drop you completely?

I'm confused.

Jeep.chick 06-29-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3912663)
That doesn't make sense. If that won't cover it fine but why drop you completely?

I'm confused.

Bc he is identified as a higher risk..
But it is dumb!

Barmanvarn 06-29-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep.chick (Post 3912667)

Bc he is identified as a higher risk..
But it is dumb!

Agreed. Dumb.

I say find a different insurer. Hell, just tell them you got rid of it. It's not like they are going to come and check. And if they do and decide you drop you then no biggie as your back where you are now anyways.

Still makes no sense. Higher risk of what? Risk of injury from something they don't cover? As long as they convey they don't cover it then than satisfies the agreement.

Tweak 06-29-2013 11:30 PM

When I was 14 or 15 my parents made me remove the diving board from our pool. I was heartbroken and they wouldnt tell me why. The worst part is that I was the one removing it, cutting the studs out of the cement. Now I know why LOL

PhotoWrangler 06-29-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3912528)
give it to your neighbor, they won't be silly enough to call their insurance company.

+1

PhotoWrangler 06-29-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostiguy (Post 3912580)
Really though, it's all jokes until someone may get hurt, you know, an accident.

You cover your butt by posting a sign that says 'jump at your own risk', in case anyone decides to trespass and jump without your knowledge. Of course the whole trespassing thing should cover any liability.

And then you don't allow anyone jump on it that you would feel may sue you... in other words, only your child and family members are allowed.

Calling the insurance company for anything other than a damage claim is like painting a bulls-eye on your roof.

it_felt_so_good 06-30-2013 12:20 AM

Being a nice guy in 2013 doesn't work anymore man. Lol. Sorry to hear.

PhotoWrangler 06-30-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it_felt_so_good (Post 3912896)
Being a nice guy in 2013 doesn't work anymore man. Lol. Sorry to hear.

Being a nice guy still works usually... in most situations.

But being a nice guy to a corporation who is out to screw you anyway, doesn't.

aelwero 06-30-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoWrangler (Post 3912827)
You cover your butt by posting a sign that says 'jump at your own risk', in case anyone decides to trespass and jump without your knowledge. Of course the whole trespassing thing should cover any liability.

And then you don't allow anyone jump on it that you would feel may sue you... in other words, only your child and family members are allowed.

Calling the insurance company for anything other than a damage claim is like painting a bulls-eye on your roof.

no amount of signs and fences will protect you from liability in that case... swimming pools, trampolines, swingsets, etc, are all considered "attractive nuisances", meaning by having them you are "tempting kids to trespass", and are liable for their stupidity... you have to take "reasonable care" to prevent access to the trampoline. All gates locked, fences high enough to prevent climbing over them, nothing lying around that could be used to climb the fence (boxes, trash cans, the little plastic garden hose reel... anything a kid could use as a boost).

I had the same discussion with the insurance folks about the trampoline AND the pool... mine will cover personal injury and death liability for anyone except my family (separate coverage for that), so long as I'm meeting the "reasonable care" standards.

calling the ins. co. wasn't a bad call if you ask me... a bad call would be continuing to give them your money ;) There's plenty of others that will cover whatever you want/need them to.

RoadiJeff 06-30-2013 07:56 AM

Move the trampoline to a relative's back yard for a month or two. Take your daughter over there to play on it until then, explaining to her that it will be back soon.

As soon as it is moved tell your insurance company that you reconsidered the trampoline and you got rid of it, which you actually did. You just don't need to tell them for how long. :D

Of course you know that any accident which involves the trampoline will not be covered by your insurance, so consider the risk. You might not even be able to get an umbrella insurance policy with the trampoline. My insurance company will not give me one because they say my 1000cc motorcycle is a high performance sport bike.

BlueRidgeYJ 06-30-2013 10:10 AM

My honesty has handicapped me, too. It is such a shame we live in a society like that.

I, too, would look into new ins companies, if nothing else than due to how they handled this.

Fwiw, my brother broke his arm, twice, on our neighbors trampoline. The neighbor broke his arm, several fingers, and thumb, in (cumulatively) 5 incidents, so I get why they don't like em (and I am sure there were other claimable incidents I don't remember off hand). Of course, we had exposed springs and no nets on square trampolines - a different beast altogether. Before they could sell the house, the tramp got trashed and the pool got filled in.

Now my 4y.o. nephews have an inflatable slide and bounce castle, lmao. America is the first society EVER in history to view our children as a liability instead of an asset.

Titaness 06-30-2013 10:53 AM

You are allowed to have a trampoline . You have that right just as the insurance company has the right not to cover you nor injuries that occur because of your choice. That's kind of the way it is. Before losing your homeowners scout around for others that cover trampolines and check if maybe it's a township issue. Sometimes, it's an issue with your township an not just the insurance company. Also, check if there are other safety measures that make this super fun play equipment acceptable. Maybe there is something more than just a net that will make it acceptable .

n00g7 06-30-2013 11:54 AM

I will also say this, if you don't like driving children to the ER, don't keep the trampoline.

Hoagie. 06-30-2013 01:02 PM

Good call trying I would have tried to cover my a too that's a bummer though. Good heads up since I just bought a house!

travillac 06-30-2013 01:19 PM

Same here but our insurance just told us we could keep it IF we put the net around it. Funny thing is that it DID have it but my boys thought that meant wrestle mania cage matches all day and eventually tore it up so I removed it. Soooo that was the end of the trampoline. I put it in the free section on Craigslist and it was torn down and gone in about 30 mins of posting it.

connochr 06-30-2013 01:40 PM

My insurance company said no trampolines and no "aggressive breed dogs" or I will be dropped. Thats after being dropped by Allstate because I live in a "Hurricane zone" which apparently is the entire eastern shore of America. Insurance companies are great!!!

aelwero 06-30-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3913632)
I will also say this, if you don't like driving children to the ER, don't keep the trampoline.

Lol. I'm much more likely to need a trip to the er than my kids... double backflips are a lot easier at 16 than at 40. I get all discombobulated and can't tell where down is.

The kids are all pretty cautious. Watching me land head first a couple times might have something to do with that ;)

bostiguy 06-30-2013 08:56 PM

I appreciate any help that has been offered. But I want to explain to those who so easily say, "why would you call the insurance company?". I called because I thought I would be covered but just have to pay a little more on the premium. I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I could have coverage for any accidents my daughter could have while playing.
Yes, in hindsight it was maybe a mistake but now I may be able to offer some insight to someone else and they won't repeat my mistake.
If anyone can either post or pm me an insurance company you think may cover a trampoline I would certainly appreciate it.

aelwero 07-01-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostiguy (Post 3914928)
I appreciate any help that has been offered. But I want to explain to those who so easily say, "why would you call the insurance company?". I called because I thought I would be covered but just have to pay a little more on the premium. I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I could have coverage for any accidents my daughter could have while playing.
Yes, in hindsight it was maybe a mistake but now I may be able to offer some insight to someone else and they won't repeat my mistake.
If anyone can either post or pm me an insurance company you think may cover a trampoline I would certainly appreciate it.

You totally did the right thing, and the smart thing. I called mine too, but had different results.

Do you qualify for USAA? They will even cover damages to or theft of our trampoline. If the wind tears it up, I can get the tramp replaced minus deductable.

n00g7 07-01-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero (Post 3915583)
You totally did the right thing, and the smart thing. I called mine too, but had different results.

Do you qualify for USAA? They will even cover damages to or theft of our trampoline. If the wind tears it up, I can get the tramp replaced minus deductable.

It's a TRAMPOLINE! You don't inform your insurance company if you have guns in your house, why would you tell them you have a trampoline? Install it with maximum safety factor and use it, no reason to tell them. Do you call car insurance company every time you install some trinket?

aelwero 07-01-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3916877)

It's a TRAMPOLINE! You don't inform your insurance company if you have guns in your house, why would you tell them you have a trampoline? Install it with maximum safety factor and use it, no reason to tell them. Do you call car insurance company every time you install some trinket?

If the neighbors kid jumps your fence and breaks his neck on it, and you get sued, and your insurance company doesn't cover trampolines (and swimming pools, and swingsets, and treehouses, etc.) Then you're footing the bill for the damages, the court fees, the lawyer, etc...

That's what insurance is for. If you think the insurance company is such a bad thing, then why have insurance in the first place?

You don't tell them about your guns because insurance will never cover liability for them. If a neighbors kid gets a hold of your gun and shoots someone, or you fire your "unloaded" gunwhile cleaning it and injure a neighbor, you're going to jail for negligence... There's no accident factor with guns.

n00g7 07-01-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero (Post 3916979)
If the neighbors kid jumps your fence and breaks his neck on it, and you get sued, and your insurance company doesn't cover trampolines (and swimming pools, and swingsets, and treehouses, etc.) Then you're footing the bill for the damages, the court fees, the lawyer, etc...

That's what insurance is for. If you think the insurance company is such a bad thing, then why have insurance in the first place?

You don't tell them about your guns because insurance will never cover liability for them. If a neighbors kid gets a hold of your gun and shoots someone, or you fire your "unloaded" gunwhile cleaning it and injure a neighbor, you're going to jail for negligence... There's no accident factor with guns.

Umbrella insurance takes care of all of this, financially.

Wranglin4Life 07-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3916877)

Dude, ease up off him and quit giving him shit about doing the right thing. Weather you agree with it or not, doing what he did was the right thing. He is trying to make sure his child is protected... You must not be a father.

Your comparing apples to oranges with the car insurance...

n00g7 07-02-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life (Post 3921225)
Dude, ease up off him and quit giving him shit about doing the right thing. Weather you agree with it or not, doing what he did was the right thing. He is trying to make sure his child is protected... You must not be a father.

Your comparing apples to oranges with the car insurance...

Right thing for who? Do you work for Geico?

Another example: Hi Mr. Insurance Agent, I'm thinking about doing a high performance driving event on a racetrack, will you cover me if I crash, I didn't see anything relative to this in my insurance policy.

Expect to no longer be their customer in 1...2... NOW. If you had read it, saw nothing excluding the activity, and went and did it, you'd be covered. Now you're not, because you did "the right thing"? (nah) you were perfectly covered beforehand.

The simple lesson here is: the only thing you should communicate with is your contract, if insurance company didn't explicitly exclude what you want to do, you're good to go AND DO NOT ASK, you're well within your rights.