Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Currie lift! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/currie-lift-252615.html)

fourty4magjr 06-29-2013 09:53 PM

Currie lift!

Just dumped a huge chunk of change on the tj! Currie lifts on its way with antirock sway bar and double adjustable arms. Getting ford 8.8 regearing the dana 30, driveshaft, SYE, tires and wheels, brake lines and all that garbage. I'm going to be getting all this done in the next couple weeks so stay tuned! Anyone have any suggestions or tips/pointers? Oh and making a trip to rausch creek around the end of July! :dance: fun times are ahead!

BLK00TJ 06-29-2013 10:19 PM

It's a good kit. Not much different than other kits, but I'd say to keep your front axle-side upper bolts to use. To use the bolts supplied requires drilling or filing the upper brackets for the bigger bolt that isn't really needed. I tried and the bit just bound up inside the bracket because of the hardened steel. Make sure to use a cheater bar on the jam nuts for the control arms. The torque spec for them is really frigging tight. Lastly, when you install the CAs, take note of the orientation of the grease zerks and make sure they are protected from rocks and easy to grease. Some have had luck with 90 degree zerks but I haven't tried them. If you have to choose one or the other, choose protection. Enjoy!

fourty4magjr 06-29-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK00TJ (Post 3912668)
It's a good kit. Not much different than other kits, but I'd say to keep your front axle-side upper bolts to use. To use the bolts supplied requires drilling or filing the upper brackets for the bigger bolt that isn't really needed. I tried and the bit just bound up inside the bracket because of the hardened steel. Make sure to use a cheater bar on the jam nuts for the control arms. The torque spec for them is really frigging tight. Lastly, when you install the CAs, take note of the orientation of the grease zerks and make sure they are protected from rocks and easy to grease. Some have had luck with 90 degree zerks but I haven't tried them. If you have to choose one or the other, choose protection. Enjoy!

Yes sir the zerks will be protected I don't care how hard it is to get to them lol. And you are talking the bolts for the control arms?

BLK00TJ 06-29-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourty4magjr (Post 3912781)
Yes sir the zerks will be protected I don't care how hard it is to get to them lol. And you are talking the bolts for the control arms?

Yes, the control arms. The uppers need to be drilled out for the bigger bolts. It's easy for the rear, but the front axle end is a bugger because they are hardened steel with ribs inside.

One thing I forgot is you may want to pick up a set of Black Magic control arm washers. They are a great addition to any JJ control arm.

Big Cole 06-30-2013 06:18 AM

Rent a strut compressor and order a couple cans of kroil. Impact wrench will expedite the job as well

All Terrain TJ 06-30-2013 06:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Instead of drilling the front uppers you could install a front axle JJ kit for $160.
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...6&categoryId=2
Then you will have JJs at all CA pivot points. I used this kit and very happy with it.

Attachment 267017

Attachment 267018

Just a suggestion. :thumb:

Leslee 06-30-2013 09:00 AM

savvy kit

Can that kit be used with the stock arms also?

Jerry Bransford 06-30-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cole (Post 3913120)
Rent a strut compressor...

Totally not needed, he'll have the suspension torn down far enough the old springs will fall out on their own. :)

fourty4magjr 06-30-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ (Post 3913126)
Instead of drilling the front uppers you could install a front axle JJ kit for $160.
XJ/TJ/LJ/MJ FRONT END HOUSING JOHNNY JOINTŪ KIT
Then you will have JJs at all CA pivot points. I used this kit and very happy with it.

Attachment 267017

Attachment 267018

Just a suggestion. :thumb:

Yeah I'm going to skip the kit and reuse the stock bolts for now. That kit might come along when the stock mounts go to sh.... Poo lol. But these are the kinds of tips I was lookin for thanks guys keep em coming! I'm super excited to GE this stuff done! Ill get back from vacation in two weeks!

fourty4magjr 06-30-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cole (Post 3913120)
Rent a strut compressor and order a couple cans of kroil. Impact wrench will expedite the job as well

I have some kroil for my firearms stuff works great dont really have any air tools but can get some if the stuff gets tricky. I do have that new handheld craftsman impact driver that I will be trying out when I start putting the lift together

fourty4magjr 06-30-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3913366)
Totally not needed, he'll have the suspension torn down far enough the old springs will fall out on their own. :)

Yes sir! Definatly not worried about that lol :)

Savvy Off Road 06-30-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslee (Post 3913342)
Can that kit be used with the stock arms also?

Yes sir! The 9102K kit is a good addition even with stock arms.

fourty4magjr 06-30-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvy Off Road (Post 3914305)
Yes sir! The 9102K kit is a good addition even with stock arms.

Haha hey you guys going to send me some awesome free stickers for spending so much on your kit LOL! thanks for having such an awesome addition to the already awesome kit (double adjustable arms).

fourty4magjr 07-05-2013 11:32 AM

Will 4.5 inches of backspacing work with 33s? Or am I going to be stuck buying 5 wheels too?

65southbound 07-05-2013 12:06 PM

Man I love the Currie/Savvy products.

I'm currently researching if I can use their arms with a 6" coil..

Not to thread jack! I bet you are one happy dude! Good luck with the wrenchin'.

Jerry Bransford 07-05-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourty4magjr (Post 3929729)
Will 4.5 inches of backspacing work with 33s? Or am I going to be stuck buying 5 wheels too?

Assuming you mean 33x12.50 tires, all you'll need to do to run that size tire on a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing is to add one or two washers under each of the two steering stop bolts. That slightly increases the tire's inside sidewall clearance away from the suspension just enough so it clears when the steering wheel is cranked all the way to the stops. That also very slightly increases the steering radius but not enough to notice, at least I can't.

fourty4magjr 07-05-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3929890)
Assuming you mean 33x12.50 tires, all you'll need to do to run that size tire on a wheel with 4.5" of backspacing is to add one or two washers under each of the two steering stop bolts. That slightly increases the tire's inside sidewall clearance away from the suspension just enough so it clears when the steering wheel is cranked all the way to the stops. That also very slightly increases the steering radius but not enough to notice, at least I can't.

Well that has been done already so you think I will be fine running those with the same wheels I have? I had some rubbing when I had the steering wheel turned all the way with the 31s I have now but it was only on the one side. But I put washers on the both of the steering stops to stop them from rubbing

fourty4magjr 07-05-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65southbound (Post 3929830)
Man I love the Currie/Savvy products.

I'm currently researching if I can use their arms with a 6" coil..

Not to thread jack! I bet you are one happy dude! Good luck with the wrenchin'.

Haha yes I am but my wallet is unhappy and I am one of those people who hates spending money so it was tough to let it go but I will be worth it once its all said and done! :punk:

fourty4magjr 07-10-2013 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
750 miles from home hanging out on myrtle beach SC! All my stuffs waiting for me can't wait to get back home to the jeep and the new lift! It will be a fun weeks worth of work when I get back!

Water Dog 07-10-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourty4magjr (Post 3930046)
Well that has been done already so you think I will be fine running those with the same wheels I have? I had some rubbing when I had the steering wheel turned all the way with the 31s I have now but it was only on the one side. But I put washers on the both of the steering stops to stop them from rubbing

I'm currently running 16x8 with 4.5" bs wheels with 33x12 MTR's and they rub the control arms just a little at full lock (haven't added any washers yet. When I was running the same size tire in AT's, they didn't rub at all, so you should be good.

fourty4magjr 07-10-2013 06:08 PM

I'm going to be stuffing the 33s on the jeep before the lift gets put on since the tires are in and don't want them holding them to long they should fit with te 2 inch right?

All Terrain TJ 07-10-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourty4magjr (Post 3947510)
750 miles from home hanging out on myrtle beach SC! All my stuffs waiting for me can't wait to get back home to the jeep and the new lift! It will be a fun weeks worth of work when I get back!

Don't rush the vacation, they are to short as it is. Those goodies will still be there when you get home. Have fun!

MosesTJ 07-10-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourty4magjr (Post 3947510)

1st world problems.... Enjoy the vaca! Wish I was there.

BigDeaner 07-10-2013 08:54 PM

Subbed. I wanna see this one step by step.

fourty4magjr 07-10-2013 10:40 PM

Oh dot worry I'm going to hate leaving but be excited to come home to the goodies LOL! And I will be sure to take plenty of pictures along the way!

fourty4magjr 07-10-2013 10:42 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to make a photobucket account so I can get all the pics up:D s

fourty4magjr 07-14-2013 09:00 AM

Are there any digram for mounting the tj hardware on an 8.8? I also think savvy forgot to send my rear coils... Uh those are kind of important lol. Going to be giving them a call on Tuesday unless they answer emails everyday

All Terrain TJ 07-14-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourty4magjr (Post 3960492)
Are there any digram for mounting the tj hardware on an 8.8? I also think savvy forgot to send my rear coils... Uh those are kind of important lol. Going to be giving them a call on Tuesday unless they answer emails everyday

What hardware are you needing diagrams for? Is it the lift or to weld the mounts on the axle?
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Gerald chimes back in this thread. Savvy has great customer service.

tailhole 07-14-2013 11:12 AM

Going to want to move the rear upper spring seat back a little. And done forget your bump stops.

Also after you adjust your pinion your shock is going to hit the lower spring pad. I just cut a notch out on mine.

All Terrain TJ 07-14-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailhole (Post 3960789)
Going to want to move the rear upper spring seat back a little. And done forget your bump stops.

Also after you adjust your pinion your shock is going to hit the lower spring pad. I just cut a notch out on mine.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. Wouldn't you align the bottom spring perch with the top one during setup. If so wouldn't the shock clear the lower perch? My 8.8 is still awaiting fab work but that is how I am planning on setting it up. Maybe I'm missing something.