Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   Worried Noob (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/worried-noob-252633.html)

JeepRay 06-29-2013 11:51 PM

Worried Noob

Quick back story. I was going to buy a car earlier this year when my wife fell in love with a brand new Mazda cx5. I couldn't let her pass it up she was so excited about it. So we got her that and I took on her Nissan Versa. I hated it. Other than the sound system I absolutely hated driving that little go kart. Plus I kept getting invites to go hunting and there's no way to take a compact hatchback down trails and carry a deer home

Fast forward to today. I came across a 2004 Wrangler sport with 4.0 inline 6, 102,000 miles, hard top, step rails, roll bar speakers, brand new black steelies and tires. While I couldn't talk them down on the price, I was able to get them to give me a good price on the versa, put 3k down and I'm only financing $6500 with $115/mo payments.

Here's where I'm worried. I have two kids, one in a car seat, the gas mileage on the versa was much better, the versa had less miles on it and I've never bought a car with 100k+ miles on it before. I did get them to put in a 2year 24k miles powertrain warranty though.

I'm just having a little buyers remorse. Not because of the jeep itself.... I just feel I may have made an irresponsible decision buying a jeep with that many miles when I had a perfectly good grocery getter that I didn't like because it wasn't my style. And when my wife wakes up in the morning.... I gotta feeling she's gonna be maaaaad at me... Here comes the silent treatment.

I've heard you jeepers are a friendly bunch.... Make me feel better please :confused:

Wranglin4Life 06-30-2013 12:36 AM

For starters welcome to the forum.

Now, 102k on a 4.0 liter wrangler is nothing unless you don't take care of it... Even then they are hard to kill. While the versa may have been a gas sipping grocery getter the wrangler is a much more capable vehicle. It can go more places and you will have a lot more fun in it. Your kids will love it when the top is off!

With your wife, I don't know her but in my experience it has always been easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. With that said good luck and congrats on getting a wrangler. They are very fun vehicles, but be careful because they can be money pits. Not with maintenance but with all the goodies that are made for them.

MrSig 06-30-2013 04:02 AM

http://r23.imgfast.net/users/2314/13...3032514546.gif and enjoy the forum!

dabolt55 06-30-2013 06:38 AM

Welcome, like Wranglin4life said, if they took care of it your good to go. Ex. mine '01 had 139k on it. paid $8500.00.. It has been nothing short of a like new feel.... Good luck to you..:thumb:

Beastmaster 06-30-2013 09:38 AM

The first time you take her off road topless (the Jeep, not the wife:redface:) I think you'll have her sold. :thumb:

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

HillbillyJeeper 06-30-2013 09:58 AM

Jeeps are not for every family, but some uf us build our whole lifestyles around them. At one time my wife and I had 2 two door wranglers and 4 kids. We had to take 2 vehicles when we went anywhere. Now she has traded hers for a Journey and I traded mine for a ridiculous Heavily modded JKU rubicon. I takes time to adapt your life for a Jeep sometimes but if you guys truly fall in love with it the way we have you will get thru it.
If the wife doesn't adapt and enjoy it as you do and the kids are a problem... Let DHS take the kids and divorce the wife, take the TJ and give her everything else. LOL Kidding. Make sure you include the wife and kids and get that thing off road and it will work out.

SilverSport 06-30-2013 01:49 PM

Welcome Aboard! :wavey:

JeepRay 06-30-2013 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said. I'm happy with it.... I just think I may have gotten too excited jumped the gun on this one. Got it over the weekend. The financing is still not final until the bank approves tomorrow and just as importantly, the car I traded is in her name. I'm wondering if she refuses to sign the car over if the contract is null and void as the deal is contingent upon the car being traded. I told them it wasn't in my name and I'd have to get her to sign the car over. If she's not happy with the deal, I can't (and don't want) to force her to sell the car. I wonder if I'd still be on the hook if she's not down with trading her car.... I dunno. It'll work out one way or another I guess.

n00g7 06-30-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepRay (Post 3912859)
Fast forward to today. I came across a 2004 Wrangler sport with 4.0 inline 6, 102,000 miles, hard top, step rails, roll bar speakers, brand new black steelies and tires. While I couldn't talk them down on the price, I was able to get them to give me a good price on the versa, put 3k down and I'm only financing $6500 with $115/mo payments.

STAHP!

What is the actual price of the jeep? You're trading in on a 100k mi vehicle AND putting 3k down AND financing 6500?

I just did a quick flick through autotrader, and....

2008 4dr
Price $16,800
Mileage36,688

2007 2dr
Price $16,899
Mileage50,360

2011 2dr
Price $16,998
Mileage30,909

2007 4dr
Price $17,500
Mileage37,982

The 4dr will be WAYY more kid friendly and the JKs simply have A LOT more room than the TJ. I wouldn't buy a JK, but you should.

MrWascom 07-01-2013 08:31 AM

The 4.0 is next to impossible to kill, mine had 108k when I bought it, it now has 115k only about three months later, and those are possibly the hardest 7000 miles I've ever put on a vehicle, and it turns right over, and runs like a top. I was iffy about it too, but it was one owner, all service records available down to the oil changes, and had been a Georgia jeep all it's life, same county even. It was clean as a whistle, not a drop of mud on the entire jeep, and now I'm having a hard time finding a part of my jeep that isn't muddy. She's got the journey, so y'all have a family vehicle. Just get her out on a trail, like everyone else is saying. She'll fall in love with it.