Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Best "Unobtrusive" Subwoofer? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/best-unobtrusive-subwoofer-252652.html)

Rmoran 06-30-2013 04:07 AM

Best "Unobtrusive" Subwoofer?

Hello, I'm looking to buy a 2-door JK Wrangler. Noticing the unique Wrangler layout of the back basically being flat (I won't have my rear seats in), I feel like a subwoofer just sitting there would look weird and get in the way. This being the case, I'm looking for a decent subwoofer that won't be a burden on my cargo space much like the factory installed "premium sound" package's subwoofer (like this). I'd even settle for a bassy sound bar. Recommendations?

Neral22 06-30-2013 05:38 AM

I put a "boss" 8" flat sub under my passanger seat. It sounds great, has an amp in it already. $100. No its not competition, but it throws plenty of bass to fill the voids. Also get aftermarket speakers and head unit. Im glad I did. :)

Jma20a 06-30-2013 12:43 PM

do a search, there are many threads on this topic.

Mattk11 06-30-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmoran (Post 3913076)
Hello, I'm looking to buy a 2-door JK Wrangler. Noticing the unique Wrangler layout of the back basically being flat (I won't have my rear seats in), I feel like a subwoofer just sitting there would look weird and get in the way. This being the case, I'm looking for a decent subwoofer that won't be a burden on my cargo space much like the factory installed "premium sound" package's subwoofer (like this). I'd even settle for a bassy sound bar. Recommendations?

You can put up to a 10" sub under each front seat. I know because I have two 10" Sundown SD-2s, one under each seat. I have made several others for people with Rockford Fosgate 10s, Alpine Type R 10s and the new JL Audio shallow 10.

No big box in the back and excellent bass performance with the top off.

Luck881 06-30-2013 08:42 PM

Yesterday I installed a Kenwood KSC-SW11 under my drivers seat. It fit perfectly between the seat mounting points.

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

BrunoBronosky 07-21-2015 11:54 AM

11 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck881 (Post 3914879)
Yesterday I installed a Kenwood KSC-SW11 under my drivers seat. It fit perfectly between the seat mounting points.

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Do you have to remove the seat to get it in and out? I view that as a positive thing. Makes it harder to steal.

jjk454ss 08-23-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrunoBronosky (Post 20374257)
Do you have to remove the seat to get it in and out? I view that as a positive thing. Makes it harder to steal.

I'm curious about this too. I'm looking to upgrade my sub real soon.

JCDriller 09-01-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk11 (Post 3913937)
You can put up to a 10" sub under each front seat. I know because I have two 10" Sundown SD-2s, one under each seat. I have made several others for people with Rockford Fosgate 10s, Alpine Type R 10s and the new JL Audio shallow 10.

No big box in the back and excellent bass performance with the top off.

I've even got on of Matt's 8" boxes new if you want to relocate your factory sub under your seat. I'll cut you a heck of a deal on it:) I'm going with a 10" SD-3 sub and RF amp.

Mattk11 09-02-2015 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCDriller (Post 21172074)
I've even got on of Matt's 8" boxes new if you want to relocate your factory sub under your seat. I'll cut you a heck of a deal on it:) I'm going with a 10" SD-3 sub and RF amp.

Hey JC, I know you don't mean put the actual crappy cheap factory subs under the seat. That enclosure you are selling is made for a Sundown SD-2 8". That 8" will outperform most shallow 10" subs on the market. It is an excellent SQ sub with outstanding output.

JCDriller 09-02-2015 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk11 (Post 21174098)
Hey JC, I know you don't mean put the actual crappy cheap factory subs under the seat. That enclosure you are selling is made for a Sundown SD-2 8". That 8" will outperform most shallow 10" subs on the market. It is an excellent SQ sub with outstanding output.

I'm not that knowledgable about stereos, I did assume you could just relocate the factory sub using a 8" box. I certainly don't disagree that it's worth upgrading, which is what I chose to do. I assumed some may just want to relocate their factory woofer.

NC25T 09-02-2015 02:50 PM

Good to know a 10in sub will fit under the front seats. Where did you mount your amp with subs under the seats?

JL audio has a sub enclosure that fits on the rear tire well

Mattk11 09-02-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC25T (Post 21183602)
Good to know a 10in sub will fit under the front seats. Where did you mount your amp with subs under the seats? JL audio has a sub enclosure that fits on the rear tire well

Amps fit up under the dash. Yes JL has a nice "stealth box" that isn't stealth. It isn't a great solution if you have a cover on your rear storage space in the summer but it sounds great with the top on. I've replaced a couple of them here locally for people. But it should be noted that the seat brackets are different in the 2 door than the 4 door so there is limited space in a 2 door for under seat subs. I think only one of those dinky 8" all-in-one kicker type boxes might work.

NC25T 09-02-2015 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info!

Local shop had a jeep in doing one of the $700 stealth boxes..... As states not so stealthy! I stopped by the audio shop a few days before I ordered my JKU to see what they have done in them. They had two 2015's that they were doing systems in ... I wasn't able to stop by when they were completed to listen to them :(

Excellent ideas with the 10's under the seat and amp under the dash....

Mattk11 09-07-2015 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC25T (Post 21190530)
Thanks for the info! Local shop had a jeep in doing one of the $700 stealth boxes..... As states not so stealthy! I stopped by the audio shop a few days before I ordered my JKU to see what they have done in them. They had two 2015's that they were doing systems in ... I wasn't able to stop by when they were completed to listen to them :( Excellent ideas with the 10's under the seat and amp under the dash....

$700 is a great price for a Stealthbox. The couple of guys I know that used to have them paid $900 plus install. Install ended up being $200-300 and a pain because they had to buy extra trim pieces for the back that added a couple more hundred. Luckily they kept the old stuff when they dropped my enclosures in.

nirwhistlr 10-02-2015 09:10 AM

Mattk11's enclosure is no joke. I'll be installing my this weekend and will get pics up soon.

xsf18cdf 10-08-2015 01:04 PM

Subwoofer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmoran (Post 3913076)

Buy a 2015-16 and they come "unobtrusive" and sound great!

Gary

mfdacosta 12-28-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattk11 (Post 3913937)
You can put up to a 10" sub under each front seat. I know because I have two 10" Sundown SD-2s, one under each seat. I have made several others for people with Rockford Fosgate 10s, Alpine Type R 10s and the new JL Audio shallow 10. No big box in the back and excellent bass performance with the top off.

Great info Mattk11!! Love the Sundown SA-2s under the seats. What enclosure did you use for these? Also any suggestions on a decent 5 channel amp to power these plus the front and soundbar speakers? Leaning toward Rockford p1000x5.

Mattk11 12-28-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfdacosta (Post 23212225)
Great info Mattk11!! Love the Sundown SA-2s under the seats. What enclosure did you use for these? Also any suggestions on a decent 5 channel amp to power these plus the front and soundbar speakers? Leaning toward Rockford p1000x5.

I custom made fiberglass enclosures that fit the seat pan and inside the seat brackets. Gives me .6 cu ft and fits the newer Sundown SD-3 10" shallow sub. I power my pair with an Alpine 1100 watt sub amp, then run a separate 4 channel Arc Audio amp for my main speakers.

mfdacosta 12-29-2015 08:04 AM

Nice! Do you sell those custom enclosures?