Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Quadratek winch (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/quadratek-winch-252732.html)

dancin1 06-30-2013 04:24 PM

Quadratek winch
 
How many here have the Q9000 winch ? What do you think about it ?

mrkswthwrth 06-30-2013 08:48 PM

I just recently got a q9000. The day I put it on I got stuck on a log that was just a little too tall to drive over. Winched myself out without a problem. Today I got stuck going through a creek. The winch pulled me out over a foot high bank. Also used it to pull a few big lilac stumps. It was cheap, easy to use, and it has never let me down.

Salem50001 06-30-2013 09:00 PM

My father and I both got the same one which was the higher costing one because of the location of the solenoid. It's the one that costs $360. We have done several tests with them and they have performed wonderfully. Haven't put them to hard use while in a trial but we feel very safe having them there. Also I should note that we are not hardcore rock crawlers but more of the mudder and weekend warrior.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5452e4ab.jpg

OverkillYJ 07-01-2013 09:16 AM

I have seen those fail twice on one Jeep within a few months of use. I was just out with the guy on Saturday and we had to mess with it for 5 minutes to get it working. Seems like his selenoid is crapping out this time. The first time it was his motor.

Salem50001 07-06-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverkillYJ (Post 3916127)
I have seen those fail twice on one Jeep within a few months of use. I was just out with the guy on Saturday and we had to mess with it for 5 minutes to get it working. Seems like his selenoid is crapping out this time. The first time it was his motor.

Well to each their own. I got it just to have it. I have been stuck many times but always had a buddy pull me out (no winch). I didn't need anything high costing because I doubt I would ever use it, it was more of a "better have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" purchase.

Charley24 07-06-2013 06:53 PM

I have the 9000 also. Never had any problems with it. I changed out the steel cable for a synthetic line and saved about 35 lbs of weight on the front end.

OverkillYJ 07-07-2013 04:14 PM

The guy I am talking about uses his. Either way get a snatch block if you want it to last.

JerseyDriver 07-07-2013 05:22 PM

Yeah, I mean.... Are you getting a winch to have the ability to recover yours, your your buddies, vehicle when the going gets tough? Or are you getting one to look good and "having one when you need it is better than not having one when you dont need it."

I don't have a Quadratec winch, so I can't comment, but judging by the responses here, there is at least one comment that I'd completely write off if you are going to be serious about off roading.

JerseyDriver 07-07-2013 05:23 PM

And for the record... I love Quadratec and most of their products. I'm not bashing Quadratec... Just surprised by one of the comments in this thread.

rmeier 07-08-2013 07:34 AM

I purchased one a few month back and love it. It has helped to pull my jeep out of some thick mud twice now, and it had been used to lower another jeep a tj down a very steep incline. Love quadratec and its a great product.

OverkillYJ 07-08-2013 08:36 AM

I don't think there is any question on if they work. Let's just put it this way. A Quadratech winch you might use 30 times before you kill it. A Warn you might get 200 uses out of it. For a $200 more it is an easy decision. Those numbers on uses are just made up of course, but you get the idea. 30 uses is the most I have heard of on a quadratec winch without a problem though.

Salem50001 07-08-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverkillYJ (Post 3937959)
I don't think there is any question on if they work. Let's just put it this way. A Quadratech winch you might use 30 times before you kill it. A Warn you might get 200 uses out of it. For a $200 more it is an easy decision. Those numbers on uses are just made up of course, but you get the idea. 30 uses is the most I have heard of on a quadratec winch without a problem though.

Then let me put it this way. I don't plan to use it 30 times. So that $200 saving can be put towards something else. I will only use the winch as a last ditch effort.

OverkillYJ 07-08-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salem50001 (Post 3938604)

Then let me put it this way. I don't plan to use it 30 times. So that $200 saving can be put towards something else. I will only use the winch as a last ditch effort.

Alright. Don't forget to use chrome polish to keep the cable shiney.

Charley24 07-08-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverkillYJ (Post 3939109)

Alright. Don't forget to use chrome polish to keep the cable shiney.

Sounds like somebody is trying to justify spending a whole lot of money on a winch.....

Defcon 1 07-08-2013 08:41 PM

I don't understand why you guys are picking on him for wanting something just to have but hopes he never uses it. Isn't that why we all carry spare tires? A full size spare (and rim) can run you $300+, and you might never need it. So why you fussing about a winch that someone wants to buy?

Salem50001 07-08-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley24 (Post 3940035)
Sounds like somebody is trying to justify spending a whole lot of money on a winch.....

Just what I was thinking... Well as I have stated above, to each their own. If he enjoys spending money, so be it. I however, am very happy with my purchase.

Salem50001 07-08-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon 1 (Post 3940279)
I don't understand why you guys are picking on him for wanting something just to have but hopes he never uses it. Isn't that why we all carry spare tires? A full size spare (and rim) can run you $300+, and you might never need it. So why you fussing about a winch that someone wants to buy?

He's just another Warn fanboy, in his eyes nothing can compare to them...

Defcon 1 07-08-2013 10:24 PM

Well it looks like the Q-Winches will work alright, but if you only plan on using it a few times... maybe you can get one from Harbor Freight? That way you still have your last resort option, and you'll save even more money.

I am currently stuck in the same boat, I want a winch, I'm just not sure what caliber I'll need. Warn is the best, but in most situations it's overkill. I have only gotten stuck three times in the decade of owning my Jeep, however when I did I really wish I had a winch to get me out, but I don't want a cheap winch to fail me when I need it the most.

OverkillYJ 07-08-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon 1 (Post 3940720)
Well it looks like the Q-Winches will work alright, but if you only plan on using it a few times... maybe you can get one from Harbor Freight? That way you still have your last resort option, and you'll save even more money.

I am currently stuck in the same boat, I want a winch, I'm just not sure what caliber I'll need. Warn is the best, but in most situations it's overkill. I have only gotten stuck three times in the decade of owning my Jeep, however when I did I really wish I had a winch to get me out, but I don't want a cheap winch to fail me when I need it the most.

It depends on what you want to do. I bought Warn because when I go out I hope to get stuck, or at least my friends. If I ain't getting stuck then I am not driving my jeep through the toughest stuff it can take. When I am in 3ft of mud, I am not thinking about saving$200. I need to know when I hit that switch to get out I am going to make it home. If that is not you, then go to harbor freight and save even more. My jeep is for fun. Shoveling and calling people to pull me out is not fun.

Salem50001 07-09-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverkillYJ (Post 3940859)

It depends on what you want to do. I bought Warn because when I go out I hope to get stuck, or at least my friends. If I ain't getting stuck then I am not driving my jeep through the toughest stuff it can take. When I am in 3ft of mud, I am not thinking about saving$200. I need to know when I hit that switch to get out I am going to make it home. If that is not you, then go to harbor freight and save even more. My jeep is for fun. Shoveling and calling people to pull me out is not fun.

We have the same outlook for when we go offroading. If I don't get stuck I'm not wheeling hard enough. However, I would use my strap any day of the week vs using the winch. It much faster to deploy and put back up than the winch will ever be. I have gotten stuck many times before buying the winch and the strap has never failed me, ever.

Since u have the VR series Warn. Take it apart and tell me what countries your parts come from... Then tell me yours and mine are different...

JerseyDriver 07-09-2013 07:40 AM

OK, so there you have it... 2 different applications for using the winch. One uses it often and one doesn't. All depends on how your going to use it.

Looks like the OP hasn't checked back in since his original question, so who knows how he intends to use it.

OverkillYJ 07-09-2013 07:58 AM

I am usually in front so I can pull out my friends coming up behind me. U can't always be pulled backwards out of spots. I have yet to figure out how to pull myself forward using just a strap. A lot of times if I am stuck they are just spinning tires trying to get me out since it is usually an axle hung up stopping me. And quite a few times I have been places with no room for someone to come in and get me. This just sounds like someone has convinced themselves that the quadratec winches are as good as warn winches. I live about 10 miles from quadratec. I am there regularly and the guys are nice, but I still would not get their winches. As a matter of fact when I kill this one I will be spending at least $800 for a commercial one.

JerseyDriver 07-09-2013 08:36 AM

I live in West Chester too. We should wheel man.

ChicoJeepy 07-09-2013 09:16 AM

Harbor Freight > Quadratec and Warn...... LOL!

OverkillYJ 07-09-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyDriver (Post 3941878)
I live in West Chester too. We should wheel man.

Sounds good man. I dont wheel with any YJ's normally. PM me sometime.

soveliss 07-09-2013 04:21 PM

my quadratec winch works great i guess I will see if it fails me when I really need it but I doubt it will.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.