Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   JK General Discussion Forum (
-   -   Seeping Water Pump Seal (

RKCrowe 07-01-2013 02:30 PM

Seeping Water Pump Seal
2007 Jeep Wrangler, 2dr, Sahara

40,000 miles

I just replaced my water pump. There was coolant seeping by the gasket at a couple of the bolts. I thought it was the bearings going bad so decided to replace.

Everything went by the book, removed the old gasket, cleaned all surfaces very thoroughly. I applied a very thin layer of RTV to pump and housing surfaces and also the gasket( I have read both to use RTV and not to use RTV with a gasket). Installed new pump, torqued bolts to 105 in.lbs

All seemed good but I noticed some seepage again around the same bolts, though not as bad as old gasket. I cleaned the coolant off and ran an errand and checked again. There was still some seepage but not as much as first time.

My question would it common to have a little seepage at first, but will eventually stop when the new gasket gets "conditioned"?

Thanks for the help!

jmb6420 07-01-2013 06:52 PM

No. Take the pump back off, clean both the pump and engine surfaces of old gasket and RTV. Use a new gasket. Hand tighten all bolts then torque bolts (105 in/lbs) rotating 1/4 turn each time until all are torqued.

RKCrowe 07-02-2013 09:26 AM

Thanks, I really knew that..but I had to try staring at it for a long time and psychically willing it to stop leaking first.

jmb6420 07-03-2013 07:04 AM

Let us know how it goes.

RKCrowe 07-03-2013 10:46 PM

I ended up re-torquing the pump bolts and that almost fixed it. So I torqued the culprit area bolts a few more in.lbs and that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for the support.