Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   JK Any way to improve ride quality. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-any-way-to-improve-ride-quality-253109.html)

megax05 07-02-2013 06:58 AM

JK Any way to improve ride quality.
 
I recently lifted my jk with a spacer lift and the ride quality is same as stock however is there a way to improve the comfortability cause my wife is complaining about the ride stiffness we used to had a comfy Mazda cx7.

Abnormal-JK 07-02-2013 07:36 AM

What size tires and air pressure?

ltsrapcon 07-02-2013 07:46 AM

I think most people will say "Tell her its a Jeep and it rides great". As Abnormal was referencing above adjusting (lowering) your air pressure can help, but your best bet would be new suspension. So that means you can lift it till she thinks its comfortable or till its too high for her to get into it, either way its a win.

foxsat71 07-02-2013 07:50 AM

How about some adjustable shocks; like the Ranch 9000 series?

The-Judge 07-02-2013 07:53 AM

Try driving a TJ for a week. She will never complain again.

mckey73 07-02-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxsat71 (Post 3919656)
How about some adjustable shocks; like the Ranch 9000 series?

The stock shocks on the Jeeps are really good for the stock suspension. Buying new shocks will be really hard to tell the difference by riding around town. Of course shock manufacturers will tell you different.

Tell her this is the only way the ride is gonna get better.

MetalCloak 3.5" JK "Game Changer" Long Travel, Bolt-On Suspension - YouTube

megax05 07-02-2013 08:58 AM

Its sitting on 275 65 17 and will install 33s on 15 adventuro tires
About the current tire pressure is 35 psi

Riccochet 07-02-2013 09:11 AM

I got nothing. My wife said the stock suspension in our '12 JKR was too soft.

megax05 07-02-2013 09:19 AM

I will try to lower psi in stock tires to 28 and see or will mount my 33s and lower to 20 psi

Cdwright 07-02-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Judge (Post 3919659)
Try driving a TJ for a week. She will never complain again.

Hahaha, right? ;)

Nashorn101 07-02-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Judge (Post 3919659)
Try driving a TJ for a week. She will never complain again.

This!

Crushed 07-02-2013 09:50 AM

New shocks.

SRTie4k 07-02-2013 09:59 AM

As a somewhat related question, are Rubicon shocks stiffer than Sport shocks? Are they more controlled on the street, or less?

m998dna 07-02-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megax05 (Post 3919585)
I recently lifted my jk with a spacer lift and the ride quality is same as stock however is there a way to improve the comfortability cause my wife is complaining about the ride stiffness we used to had a comfy Mazda cx7.

My first question is how much lift? ...

.

kik 07-02-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Judge (Post 3919659)
Try driving a TJ for a week. She will never complain again.

Or worse yet, a YJ.

CoreyZ 07-02-2013 10:44 AM

OK.. ill bite and be the one...

Its a Jeep... not a caravan.

HK_Runner 07-02-2013 10:46 AM

Were any modifications made to the suspension? Were the springs changed out or are they stock? What are the last two numbers (the last two will be letters but see what the #s are). They should be 14/15 or so and 54/55/56 at the back- one of those combos or close. I am asking because I changed my springs and went up in weight and it drove like crap instantly after....too harsh and uncontrolled when compared to my stock setup, which was 2-3 numbers lower (was a stock JK at the time).

Also, check your tires. What rating are they- P-metric, C, D? 35 is too high for a light JK to begin with. I run 26-28 on my C-rated 35 MTRs. When I was stock with 32" KMs, I started at 37 and then 35 and it was so bouncy and hard. I talked to the lead Jeep tech and he laughed about the 37 psi recommendation. Said that may even mess up the tire by wearing the middle and affect handling. As I suspected, Chrysler does that to raise the MPG rating by 1-2 MPG. That raises their average and helps them with the newer fuel economy (CAFE) federal requirements. He ran 28/30 and I also ran around 30. Instantly better!

Check all this and let us know. Adjusting your tires will make a pretty big difference right off the bat. Also, what shocks do you have- the stock black Wrangler shocks?

Dogzilla 07-02-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Judge (Post 3919659)
Try driving a TJ for a week. She will never complain again.

This was gonna be my suggestion also. And....if you REALLY wanna get serious about helping her....go all the way back to a YJ.

DirtyTeddy 07-02-2013 11:04 AM

Nothing will make a noticeable difference she can tell, try shocks and springs. Convinced her a 3.5" lift will do it and maybe the placebo effect will come into play ;)

megax05 07-02-2013 11:45 AM

Well for the lift its 2.25 in front and 1.5 in rear because the front end is much more lower in my jeep.

I will try 28 psi and see if there is any changes about the wife I will park the jk for a week and use my old yj to let her know what is the stiff jeep like :)

kjeeper10 07-02-2013 12:02 PM

Shocks ... 9000xl adjustable :thumb:

JeepCourtney3700 07-02-2013 12:11 PM

Trade it in for a Mazda? Otherwise, adjustable shocks. The rancho 9000 series are really, really nice.

dvitous 07-02-2013 12:28 PM

Would it be easier just replacing the wife?

Just wonderin... :whistling:

TOK 07-02-2013 12:33 PM

My mind is actually boggling at this... When I test drove my JK, I was amazed at how well a coil sprung Jeep could ride, and at least 4 people (not all enthusiasts) have commented about it being way more comfortable and smooth than expected.

Take her for a 10 minute ride in a leaf sprung Jeep and she'll never complain again.

Plasticpirogue 07-02-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashorn101 (Post 3919862)
This!

When I moved from my beloved 2000 TJ to the JK I thought I was in a limo. :dance:

Rancho 07-02-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megax05 (Post 3919585)
I recently lifted my jk with a spacer lift and the ride quality is same as stock however is there a way to improve the comfortability cause my wife is complaining about the ride stiffness we used to had a comfy Mazda cx7.

How many miles on the JK?
Shocks do help, especially our adjustable ones, the RS9000XL.

Aren't happy with them, return them for a refund in the first 90 days...
Rancho Suspension: Warranty & Ride Guarantee

A monotube will have a firmer ride btw.

StarBrite 07-02-2013 06:21 PM

Figured since no women have chimed in, I would.

When we went and test drove a stock rubicon at the dealership I HATED it!!! It was the worst feeling thing ever. I wanted to tell Mike not to buy a jeep, but I knew that's the only thing he wanted.

When we picked up his JKU, the ride was COMPLETELY different than the rubicon. I couldn't believe how different it was. I fell in love! So much so that now I want one of my own! :D

Rode it stock for about a week and changed to 33" tires. No noticeable ride difference. Still comfortable. Then added a 2.5" teraflex lift and the rancho 9100 shocks. It still rides like a dream, except when the idiots overinflate the tires when they rotate them, or when he forgets to adjust the shocks back after wheeling. :facepalm: But within the first five miles you know it's time to change them back, and its easy enough to do.

I swore when I got my odyssey exl that I would never want anything else, unless it was a touring model. But now that I've seen how comfortably a jeep can ride and been able to wheel in the sugar sand, I can't wait to get one of myself. I love being able to see over the other cars and the steel bumpers make me feel safer. We live in West Palm Beach and have snowbirds here half the year and we need some extra protection! :rofl:

I hope you can get your jeep issue worked out so that your wife falls in love with it as much as you. But then you'd better be ready to buy her one of her own! It's addicting! :hide:

kjeeper10 07-02-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBrite (Post 3921374)
Figured since no women have chimed in, I would.

When we went and test drove a stock rubicon at the dealership I HATED it!!! It was the worst feeling thing ever. I wanted to tell Mike not to buy a jeep, but I knew that's the only thing he wanted.

When we picked up his JKU, the ride was COMPLETELY different than the rubicon. I couldn't believe how different it was. I fell in love! So much so that now I want one of my own! :D

Rode it stock for about a week and changed to 33" tires. No noticeable ride difference. Still comfortable. Then added a 2.5" teraflex lift and the rancho 9100 shocks. It still rides like a dream, except when the idiots overinflate the tires when they rotate them, or when he forgets to adjust the shocks back after wheeling. :facepalm: But within the first five miles you know it's time to change them back, and its easy enough to do.

I swore when I got my odyssey exl that I would never want anything else, unless it was a touring model. But now that I've seen how comfortably a jeep can ride and been able to wheel in the sugar sand, I can't wait to get one of myself. I love being able to see over the other cars and the steel bumpers make me feel safer. We live in West Palm Beach and have snowbirds here half the year and we need some extra protection! :rofl:

I hope you can get your jeep issue worked out so that your wife falls in love with it as much as you. But then you'd better be ready to buy her one of her own! It's addicting! :hide:

Was the rubi a 2 door or 4 door ?
And what model is your JKU ?

kjeeper10 07-02-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancho (Post 3921317)

How many miles on the JK?
Shocks do help, especially our adjustable ones, the RS9000XL.

Aren't happy with them, return them for a refund in the first 90 days...
Rancho Suspension: Warranty & Ride Guarantee

A monotube will have a firmer ride btw.

I think I see a pattern here :D

StarBrite 07-02-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3921482)
Was the rubi a 2 door or 4 door ?
And what model is your JKU ?

The rubicon was a 4 door and and ours is a Sport-S.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.