Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Steering stops froze solid. Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/steering-stops-froze-solid-help-253123.html)

sawtooth 07-02-2013 08:42 AM

Steering stops froze solid. Help

Guys, im trying to adjust the steering stops as I have new 31" DuraTracs and left side rubs when turning left. Problem is I cant break free the bolt with the nut on it. I have used a penetrating oil etc but no luck. Any ideas?

Mulvihill64 07-02-2013 08:43 AM

If you are trying to turn the nut, it's welded into the bolt.

sawtooth 07-02-2013 08:49 AM

Not trying to turn it just trying to turn the head of the bolt.

sawtooth 07-02-2013 09:30 AM

Any other thought? Heat maybe?

Mulvihill64 07-02-2013 11:46 AM

Heat, air tools

Jerry Bransford 07-02-2013 11:53 AM

The first thing I'd do is give the bolt threads several days of being soaked with Kroil, Break-Free, Liquid Wrench, or PB-Blaster. I'd do that before trying more force. Don't bother using WD-40 which just isn't effective at that job.

KaiserJeep 07-02-2013 11:56 AM

The idea is NOT to turn the head of the bolt. Instead, turn and remove the welded-together bolt and nut as one piece (with the wrench on the nut), and then put some washers underneath them, and tighten again.

Jerry Bransford 07-02-2013 11:59 AM

Turning the head of the bolt works fine since the adjustment nut is welded to it. Which is to say you can turn either to unscrew the bolt. Personally, I unscrew it from the bolt head.

sawtooth 07-02-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks guys. Will put more penetrating oil on and will try again this weekend.

Black Magic Brakes 07-02-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawtooth (Post 3921310)
Thanks guys. Will put more penetrating oil on and will try again this weekend.

We remove them when we ship out the brake kits because they are all set to the individual vehicle. I've removed hundreds of them with an impact and a 9/16" 6 point socket on the head of the bolt.

On odd occasions I will get one that is very rusty or stuck and I just spray some Kroil into the threads on the backside of the knuckle and do that a couple of times over a day or two.

One thing I know for sure is they will bust loose pretty easily or break off right below the nut so it really doesn't matter which you use to break 'em outta the knuckle.

sawtooth 07-03-2013 09:45 AM

"break off right below the nut so it really doesn't matter which you use to break 'em outta the knuckle."

I dont want it to break off though just break it loose. Thats what I'm a little worried about. If i had a impact wrench i would be golden but no such luck. I may just take it somewhere.

Jerry Bransford 07-03-2013 09:58 AM

Spray the bolt threads with one of the above mentioned products over a few days & my bet is you'll get them out without needing an impact wrench. :)

sawtooth 07-09-2013 03:38 PM

Yep it worked. Had to do it 3 times though and second time used a tooth brush to make sure oil was working in well. After several days i got her loose. No washers needed on right side and only 1 required on left. Turns perfect now with no rubbing.