Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Buddy buying a 2005 LJ, need to lower it! Help needed. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/buddy-buying-a-2005-lj-need-to-lower-it-help-needed-253158.html)

cRaZy888 07-02-2013 10:50 AM

Buddy buying a 2005 LJ, need to lower it! Help needed.

Co-worker/friend of mine is buying a 2005 Rubicon LJ.
It has a 5.5" Clayton Hard Arm 4 link lift, plus a bunch of other stuff- bumpers, skids, body armor, winches, flat fenders, 35's, 5.13's, lockers, etc.

We were hoping to pull the 5.5" kit out, and go with a 2-3" kit, and drop down to 33's. He wont be using it offroad, but needs to be able to have his 5'2" wife be able to get into it.

How much is required to swap this Jeep over to a smaller kit?
I know its doable, just how much work is involved, and how many small parts will be needed.

Anyone interested in swapping parts/tires? Anyone want to buy this stuff?

WVU Mountainman 07-02-2013 10:58 AM

Trade him my 2000 TJ sport with 3.25" lift and 31's! I'm 6'8" tall and offroad :)

NCJeepin 07-02-2013 10:59 AM

Haven't done it myself, but it sounds pretty extensive. Especially undoing the specifics of the lift and accounting for a custom driveshaft or long arms. But 5.13 gears on 33s is not going to be ideal...

lynn 07-02-2013 11:06 AM

Springs, shocks. Expect to take out some bumpstop. Adjust or replace front trackbar. Adjust or replace rear track bar. Adjust or replace F&R sway bar links. Adjust or replace all control arms to provide proper angles for new ride height. (the current components may or may not be adjustable; they may or may not adjust far enough to accommodate the lower suspension)

5.13s are pretty deep for 33s. At highway speeds he'll be cranking some high revs.

He would probably be better off buying a near-stock unit and building it the way he wants it.

n00g7 07-02-2013 11:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Either run it how it is or buy something else. Lots of wasted cash to reverse what's been done.

269jeep 07-02-2013 11:09 AM

I will swap axles with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRaZy888 (Post 3920234)
Co-worker/friend of mine is buying a 2005 Rubicon LJ.
It has a 5.5" Clayton Hard Arm 4 link lift, plus a bunch of other stuff- bumpers, skids, body armor, winches, flat fenders, 35's, 5.13's, lockers, etc.

We were hoping to pull the 5.5" kit out, and go with a 2-3" kit, and drop down to 33's. He wont be using it offroad, but needs to be able to have his 5'2" wife be able to get into it.

How much is required to swap this Jeep over to a smaller kit?
I know its doable, just how much work is involved, and how many small parts will be needed.

Anyone interested in swapping parts/tires? Anyone want to buy this stuff?

Owen_TJ 07-02-2013 11:15 AM

My 5'2 girlfriend gets into my 99tj just fine and i'm running about 5" of lift on 35's with no step...

as the others said...keep it how it is or buy something else...complete waste of a nice vehicle

NJO 07-02-2013 11:39 AM

Not to mention that the stock frame control arm mounts are probably gone.....so I bet alot of cutting and welding would be taking place to revert back to a SA setup. I agree with everyone else. Keep it as is, or buy a stock LJ. Stock LJ's are pretty easy to come by......not super popular.

Dextreme 07-02-2013 11:50 AM

Keep it as is and just mount these:

Jeep TJ Hide-A-Step from Mountain Off-Road (M.O.R.E.)

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/zoom_img/_1334229489.jpg

Rubicon06Va 07-02-2013 04:19 PM

Not recommend! Especially if its a clean and correct install. Cost and effort is not worth the award, imo. But its your jeep and u make the decisions.

cRaZy888 07-02-2013 10:12 PM

Main reason for wanting to swap the parts out, we run a marina, and he is the owner. The Jeep is coming in on trade for a boat. The Jeep value is MUCH higher than the boat. The guy that owns the Jeep just needs to off it, and cant sell it for cash (personal issues he cant discuss). My buddies wife also totes around two kids, one still in a bucket. Kinda tough for a 5'2" mom to lift a bucket into the back of an LJ with 6.5" of lift on 35's that has no steps.

All good info here. Thanks!

NJO 07-03-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRaZy888 (Post 3922449)
Main reason for wanting to swap the parts out, we run a marina, and he is the owner. The Jeep is coming in on trade for a boat. The Jeep value is MUCH higher than the boat. The guy that owns the Jeep just needs to off it, and cant sell it for cash (personal issues he cant discuss). My buddies wife also totes around two kids, one still in a bucket. Kinda tough for a 5'2" mom to lift a bucket into the back of an LJ with 6.5" of lift on 35's that has no steps.

Then imo....sell it off and then pick up a tj/lj that meets his requirements better?

Owen_TJ 07-03-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRaZy888 (Post 3922449)

With that being said, get a different vehicle...

seems dumb to get a really nice LJ (as it sounds) just to spend a lot of money to lower it and tote around kids. IMO i dont think a wrangler is a practical vehicle in any way...

if hes heart set on a wrangler, then get a different one...otherwise, sell the LJ and pick up a better family vehicle.

he could always pick it up, drive it as is for a bit, then sell it for way more than he got it for in order to get something that fits his lifestyle better

NCJeepin 07-03-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ (Post 3924271)
With that being said, get a different vehicle...

seems dumb to get a really nice LJ (as it sounds) just to spend a lot of money to lower it and tote around kids. IMO i dont think a wrangler is a practical vehicle in any way...

if hes heart set on a wrangler, then get a different one...otherwise, sell the LJ and pick up a better family vehicle.

he could always pick it up, drive it as is for a bit, then sell it for way more than he got it for in order to get something that fits his lifestyle better

Totally agree. A near stock JKU would probably serve him much better than this highly modified LJ Rubi if he is dead set on a Jeep.