Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Buddy wrecked 03 Rubi on sat. parts i should take? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/buddy-wrecked-03-rubi-on-sat-parts-i-should-take-25327.html)

infamousbliss 01-16-2009 11:11 AM

Buddy wrecked 03 Rubi on sat. parts i should take?

My buddy recently puchased an 03 rubi. he had it for about a month and it is totalled. what parts should i be swaping out of it before the insurance company picks it up. i'm guessing i have about 2-3 weeks. he said i can take what ever i want off it but it has to be replace with the parts from my 02 tj.
what are the must have parts i should be swapping out. its so dam could out side and it's sitting in his driveway so all the work will be done outside.

transfer case? will it work fine with my tj?
the ps gear box is heavier duty right?
i'm snagging all five wheels and throwing some steelies on there. free mt/r's hell yeah and free moabs.
i'm going to attempt to swap out axles but i think after the hard roll that the shaft are probably bent. will have to check.
anything else i should be looking at?

Scout 01-16-2009 11:40 AM

Personally, I think your buddy insured a Rubicon with the insurance company and the insurance company (if totalled) is paying off a Rubicon. By taking any of the OEM parts off of the vehicle I'd say you two are defrauding the insurance company.

Clicky

This is also another reason why the insurance companies keep raising our rates....

nvr-enough 01-16-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 309222)
Personally, I think your buddy insured a Rubicon with the insurance company and the insurance company (if totalled) is paying off a Rubicon. By taking any of the OEM parts off of the vehicle I'd say you two are defrauding the insurance company.

Clicky

This is also another reason why the insurance companies keep raising our rates....

yea, i agree with scout. if you get caught, I hope you want to be someones girlfriend in jail:eek::D

whitebuffalo 01-16-2009 01:34 PM

if they total it, you can buy it back for basically scrap price.

AzTJ 01-16-2009 01:44 PM

If they do total it, buy it back and use what you want, then sell the rest.

infamousbliss 01-16-2009 01:50 PM

he's trying to buy it back for $3400, i'll know monday if he is going to. i got first choice in parts though cause he has already got a new rubicon picked out. thanks for the advice. i won't take unless he buys it back. i would like a list if anyone know of what parts i should swap out. i love my jeep but i don't know all that much about them. i bought my wrangler back in oct. 07 and i have puchased a cherokee about 5 months ago and i have plans to buy anothe cherokee in a few months. turn the wrangler into a pure toy. let me know thanks

Giancarlo 01-16-2009 02:44 PM

umm wanna get me the roll bar padding?

flattietj 01-16-2009 06:32 PM

guessing since we roll our jeeps every time out that the shafts wont be bent nor will the tubes be.....at least i would be surprised

sean42069 01-16-2009 09:08 PM

take the front/rear axles- that'll get you airlockers front/rear and disc brakes and 4.10's
take the t-case if you can. not sure if driveshaft will fit or not.
take the fender flairs(they mount higher and are wider) --fit the 31's
take the air pumps for the lockers.
not sure when the fold/tumble rear seat came standard, take it if you need it.
i think you'd need the brake cylendar if you switched the axles, since the rear has disc brakes. you probably need to take the parking brake cable for it too.
spare engine parts are always nice, waterpump, alternator, starter, etc.

mr4x4 01-16-2009 10:03 PM

take the axles the locker air pumps the tcase and rear driveshaft and tires and rims most 03 or newer tjs have rear disks
if you dont have rear disks then you need the proportioning valve for disk brakes they came in the tjs with rear disks and the zj"s and wj's

that will give you a rubicon everything else is basicly the same as your rig
unless you have a yj

infamousbliss 01-17-2009 10:25 AM

my buddy told me today if a can get him $3000 i can have the whole jeep. i guess that's what the insurance company wants for it. unfortuately i spent close to $4500 on my jeep in the last 30 days and can not purchase it at thiis time which means all is lost. man that sucks. thought i was going to be set with lockers and stuff. bummed out about the whole situation. hopefully another rubi will find it's way in to my hands by the end of the year. would put i huge smile on my face.

slf41002 01-17-2009 11:04 AM

That is to much I would say!!! Most of the time you can buy it back for 8% of what they just paid you for it(book value)@ $15,000 should only be around $1200 to buy back.And no offense to you all damning him for insurance fraud and think this is why they keep raising insurance or why we pay so much now,,, WRONG they charge what they want simply because they can and based on what the next company rates are and after all we have to have it.Do you think people stealing gas is why we were paying $5 a gallon for it and soon will be again NO,do you thing people stealing cows is why we pay $4 a gallon for milk NO.It is all based on demand and we just have to have it all.I mean come on people these companies take advantage of us and if I can stick it to a large company that has poked me before don't think I wont.I am by no means a thief and do not believe nor condone stealing but I do believe in the older American morals like an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth!!!!

chesterspl 01-17-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

And no offense to you all damning him for insurance fraud and think this is why they keep raising insurance or why we pay so much now,,, WRONG they charge what they want simply because they can and based on what the next company rates are and after all we have to have it.Do you think people stealing gas is why we were paying $5 a gallon for it and soon will be again NO,do you thing people stealing cows is why we pay $4 a gallon for milk NO.It is all based on demand and we just have to have it all.I mean come on people these companies take advantage of us and if I can stick it to a large company that has poked me before don't think I wont.I am by no means a thief and do not believe nor condone stealing but I do believe in the older American morals like an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth!!!!
Well said, I agree 100%. They don't know and will not care(they might say they do but that is only b/c they have the right to say they do). The car will be sold to some junk yard and hit the crusher when the few parts left are gone. I mean, don't give them a shell b/c that will definitely get you but get a few items and replace with your own, no harm no foul.

infamousbliss 01-17-2009 03:29 PM

i'm trying to get him to talk the insurance company down, but he's scared. he wants the money asap so he can get his new rubi. if i can get them down to $1500 my wife has got that much in her savings. lol but it would be so worth it. she thinks i'm joking when i tell her i'm going to take it if i can get them down. i can part out the rest for that. i'm sure of it.

firefighter8816 01-23-2009 01:49 PM

it would be worth it if all you got was the rear axel only. A D44 with an air locker and 4.10 gears is about $2,500 new. even for $3,000 it would be a great deal considering everything else you could get. also if your jeep has a 4 banger take the engine and swap it. if you have a 6 cyl. take it any way you could probably get a grand for it alone.