Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Ford Raptor... WOW (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/ford-raptor-wow-253328.html)

Moose5 07-03-2013 12:21 AM

Ford Raptor... WOW

2 Attachment(s)
So my uncle picked up a new raptor in some dark sandy color the other day, ad let me take it put for a spin ;) it really is such an awesome vehicle and i feel it would wreak some havoc offroad, although the 62 grand sticker is high. What are your guys opinions on if?

BustedKnuckle 07-03-2013 12:24 AM

Don't like the new rims Or Fords lol. But those things are bitchin'!

I'm really liking that color too. Maybe it reminds me of the khaki jeeps..

traitor08 07-03-2013 12:26 AM

Maybe for dirtroads, not for real offroading. Seen several in potawatomi, wasn't impressed.

And they are fords, dodge or chevy around here. Maybe different in your area.

jadmt 07-03-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traitor08 (Post 3922851)
Maybe for dirtroads, not for real offroading. Seen several in potawatomi, wasn't impressed.

I saw a few of them in Moab, some people can make them go vertical. I think they are nice but way too much $$ for me.

Moose5 07-03-2013 12:32 AM

My favorite color is Sahara tan, hands down. I hate how i dont have it.

And technically its a prerunner. Its way too bulky for crawling, but i would love to take this things baja running in the dunes. And it has some SERIOUS lift on it.

unusedusername 07-03-2013 12:40 AM

I know a guy that races them....

in a desert....

across the sand dunes....

at night....

He recently rolled it for $20k+ in damages. His insurance is fixing it.

He does have a pretty cool setup though, he has 4 LED light bars on it :)

it_felt_so_good 07-03-2013 01:06 AM

The Raptor is the perfect vehicle to compliment a Wrangler in the garage! :) I was stuck in between getting a Raptor or JKU first a month ago. Ended up getting the Jeep first & will get the Raptor as soon as the Jeep is paid off within a year.

highwayman 07-03-2013 02:25 AM

Great trucks. Id definately add airbumps and reinforce the frame in the rear for how I'd run it. But for the main guys picking em up, perfect out of the box. At that cost though, man you could have a way more capable go fast prerunner by going plain f150 and going through Mazulla or Camburgs catalogs and save a lot of cash.

getahemi 07-03-2013 02:50 AM

I like it.

Tomdata 07-03-2013 02:52 AM

Pimpin'

If only I could talk the wife into one of these. My TJ would be history. For the money and for a stock truck it honestly doesn't get much better.

Sure... You could buy a regular f150 and doll it up with a bunch of aftermarket suspension goodies... But you still wouldn't have the 6.2 motor.. And the resale would never be close to a Raptor.. SVT vehicles speak for themselves.. Look at the Ford Lightnings. Those trucks still bring $20k if they are clean. Same goes for the real SVT cobras. Replicas never get the same respect as the real deal. Turn the key and go.

n00g7 07-03-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwayman (Post 3922982)
Great trucks. Id definately add airbumps and reinforce the frame in the rear for how I'd run it. But for the main guys picking em up, perfect out of the box. At that cost though, man you could have a way more capable go fast prerunner by going plain f150 and going through Mazulla or Camburgs catalogs and save a lot of cash.

Yes, they have their issues. I'm waiting for the next run to see if I want to pick one up. It's either that or the new wrangler unlimited for towing a boat. I'm pulling for the raptor with a DCT or manual tranny.

fljeepleo 07-03-2013 03:14 AM

It would make a great tow rig for my jeep when it gets too big.

David M 07-03-2013 03:45 AM

Wow, it's kind of hard to tell with the cloudy vs. overcast skies, but the Raptor's paint color is almost a dead-ringer for Sahara Tan. Dang it Ford!

Just for a color comparison...

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/a...82d6832c46.jpg
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/a...888712e960.jpg

Down on the cotton farm in Texas. Not a hill in sight!

krawdaddy 07-03-2013 05:12 AM

My wife's next vehicle will be a Raptor. I'll never own another POS GM product again (currently have a Yukon). Going back to old reliable...

it_felt_so_good 07-03-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krawdaddy (Post 3923159)
My wife's next vehicle will be a Raptor. I'll never own another POS GM product again (currently have a Yukon). Going back to old reliable...

What year is your Yukon ?

SHADYDC 07-03-2013 11:45 AM

i would not buy one personally but htey are pretty bad trucks. just no use for it. its meant to be in the baja beating it like a red headed step child.

Rubi513 07-03-2013 11:50 AM

Its my next truck.

highwayman 07-03-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomdata (Post 3923004)
Pimpin'

If only I could talk the wife into one of these. My TJ would be history. For the money and for a stock truck it honestly doesn't get much better.

Sure... You could buy a regular f150 and doll it up with a bunch of aftermarket suspension goodies... But you still wouldn't have the 6.2 motor.. And the resale would never be close to a Raptor.. SVT vehicles speak for themselves.. Look at the Ford Lightnings. Those trucks still bring $20k if they are clean. Same goes for the real SVT cobras. Replicas never get the same respect as the real deal. Turn the key and go.

Definately don't get me wrong, the Raptor is a great truck and Id love to have one. Though it is known more of a mild desert guy/old guy truck with money in real desert prerunner speak. Which is perfectly fine for its intended buyer. Mild desert running and not into a lot of hands on modding/stock warranty.

At the savings you could still slap on a SC, in addition making a well built rig, and be ahead of the game in all ways.

Yes and no, on the resale. Resale doesn't play much into my purchases, mainly cause im a gearhead and keep my builds. A properly high dollar setup Camburg, Mazulla, etc built old gen F150, not beat up fetches a lot of cash on the westcoast and more than a used Raptor. A better way to go for the go fast desert guys out here.

GoldenSahara00 07-03-2013 05:05 PM

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJdILE5T_NE

viperx6x9x 07-03-2013 05:15 PM

I wanted to get one and tried to talk the wife into it when it was time to replace her vehicle. We decided there was no real use for it in the city and went with a 4x4 ecoboost f-150 instead. Needed something 4x4 for the times we go up north, and the ecoboost actualy gives decent mileage for a full size truck.

If i had a place to go play baja i would have argued more for the raptor. They were built for that and are good at it. As for rocks, the wheelbase is just too long for me, I would take a wrangler over it anyday for that.

Overall though awesome truck, i don't remember the lightnings numbers offhand, but i think the raptor has more power. I wonder which would win in the 1/4? might have to do some youtube searching later, this competition has to have been thought of already.

highwayman 07-03-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose5 (Post 3922837)
So my uncle picked up a new raptor in some dark sandy color the other day, ad let me take it put for a spin ;) it really is such an awesome vehicle and i feel it would wreak some havoc offroad, although the 62 grand sticker is high. What are your guys opinions on if?

:thumb:

I'm sure he'll love it! Congrats to him.

Rubi513 07-03-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperx6x9x (Post 3924951)
I wanted to get one and tried to talk the wife into it when it was time to replace her vehicle. We decided there was no real use for it in the city and went with a 4x4 ecoboost f-150 instead. Needed something 4x4 for the times we go up north, and the ecoboost actualy gives decent mileage for a full size truck.

If i had a place to go play baja i would have argued more for the raptor. They were built for that and are good at it. As for rocks, the wheelbase is just too long for me, I would take a wrangler over it anyday for that.

Overall though awesome truck, i don't remember the lightnings numbers offhand, but i think the raptor has more power. I wonder which would win in the 1/4? might have to do some youtube searching later, this competition has to have been thought of already.

It's not that fast, but 35s tend to take power away

Moose5 07-03-2013 07:17 PM

Theres a lot of power behind it, and drive it on a road with a lot of potholes and you get a pretty good idea how it rides. Im not sure if you guys know, bit theres also a camera in the front that you can turn on to check your approaching angles since the truck is so big. And the center console has preset aux switches for offroad lights, etc so you dont need to drill into the dash. I just think its awesome ford made a truck DESIGNED for offroad. It still has heated seats and Nav but its still very rugged. Would love to see jeep make a wrangler already set up with a superior lift, bigger tires, pillar switches, engine upgrades, all the works

viperx6x9x 07-03-2013 08:56 PM

Don't see why they can't make something like that and just throw an SRT nametag on it.

I am curious what SVT does next though. They've done racing, cobra, lightning. I think there was even a focus in there somewhere. Now baja, raptor. Maybe they could bring the bronco back and make an SVT for crawling.

the Bronco 2's were about the size of wranglers. Use a platform like that and do it right this time. Fox shocks, a little lift, make the engine bay large enough to fit a decent engine. Say a 5.0 or an ecoboost, maybe that 6 cylinder diesel they've been talking about putting in the f-150's for years. It could work. I would still buy a jeep instead but it's an interesting concept.

n00g7 07-03-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperx6x9x (Post 3925651)
Don't see why they can't make something like that and just throw an SRT nametag on it.

I am curious what SVT does next though. They've done racing, cobra, lightning. I think there was even a focus in there somewhere. Now baja, raptor. Maybe they could bring the bronco back and make an SVT for crawling.

the Bronco 2's were about the size of wranglers. Use a platform like that and do it right this time. Fox shocks, a little lift, make the engine bay large enough to fit a decent engine. Say a 5.0 or an ecoboost, maybe that 6 cylinder diesel they've been talking about putting in the f-150's for years. It could work. I would still buy a jeep instead but it's an interesting concept.

You could count me in the bronco category, it would be BAD AXE!

Lando25 07-04-2013 12:52 AM

Ill take a RamRunner before a Raptor. When it comes to Ford for me, the older the better.

jadmt 07-04-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando25 (Post 3926399)
Ill take a RamRunner before a Raptor. When it comes to Ford for me, the older the better.

I bought my first new ford F150 4X4 in 1977 it was a 1978 model and have owned Ford F150/250 since that time and I gotta say the newer the better with the exception of the 80-86 models altho I will always love the way the 78-79 F150's looked as well as the 96 F150's it is hard to beat the newer ones.

Lando25 07-04-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3926421)

I bought my first new ford F150 4X4 in 1977 it was a 1978 model and have owned Ford F150/250 since that time and I gotta say the newer the better with the exception of the 80-86 models altho I will always love the way the 78-79 F150's looked as well as the 96 F150's it is hard to beat the newer ones.

I guess I have no problem with the new F150S. My dad has a 2011 King Ranch which is really nice. My beef is with Ford diesels. I would take a 90's 7.3 over a new 2013 6.7. Ford continues to make the same motor with the same problems just a different name.

viperx6x9x 07-04-2013 02:24 AM

I agree, the 7.3 turbo was the best diesel they've had yet. My dad has an 02 250 lariat with that motor. I call first dibs when he decides to sell it. Knowing him though, it'll be 2023 and 200,000+ miles at least before he upgrades. He had a 74 (before the turbos) 7.3 f-350 up until he finally decided to get the 2002. And that 6.0 (i think it was, right after they ditched the 7.3) was maybe the worst diesel ford ever made.

I also agree on older the better. Grampa had this old red 70's f-150 as long as i can remember, 351 windsor. Keep a good battery in it and fresh oil and it will never fail you. I think it would survive nuclear holocaust right along with the cockroaches. Man i wish just one automaker would make something with that kind of reliability these days. Now she leaked oil, and gas mileage was awful, but she would never leave you stranded.

Knuckles65 07-04-2013 07:12 AM

I'd love to have a Raptor, even if it were just a street truck, it's pretty bada$$.