Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Dusy Ershim (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/dusy-ershim-253502.html)

csumjr 07-03-2013 10:10 PM

Dusy Ershim

I am doing the Duce...on the weekend of July 26th. I am leaving L.A. at about 4 pm. I'm planning to camp for the weekend. Come with ME!

WOKNROX 07-03-2013 10:28 PM

Sorry bud....but we'll be up that way from the 12th through the 22nd...
Have fun...!

H8-roads 07-05-2013 02:22 AM

I'm most probably up for this. I've been wanting to wheel the dusy for a while now.

DaK 07-05-2013 07:32 AM

Looks interesting. Even from here it is quite a haul to get to the trail.
Map of Dusy Ershim 4x4 Trail | EveryTrail

Definitely not a day run.

H8-roads 07-05-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csumjr
I am doing the Duce...on the weekend of July 26th. I am leaving L.A. at about 4 pm. I'm planning to camp for the weekend. Come with ME!

I'm assuming you will be camping the night of the 26th?

csumjr 07-07-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H8-roads (Post 3929836)
I'm assuming you will be camping the night of the 26th?

Of course, maybe the 27th depending on how my crew feels.

H8-roads 07-07-2013 12:12 PM

Cool, so your plan is to wheel it in two days?

csumjr 07-07-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H8-roads (Post 3935099)
Cool, so your plan is to wheel it in two days?

I'm in no hurry. I'm doing it to relax, and enjoy the scenery..

csumjr 07-07-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 3929157)
Looks interesting. Even from here it is quite a haul to get to the trail.
Map of Dusy Ershim 4x4 Trail | EveryTrail

Definitely not a day run.

4 hours from here (Pomona) to Fresno, I figure sunset is about 8pm. I should be able to do it, and still have enough daylight to set up camp.

sinbob 07-07-2013 03:37 PM

I would check with DFG. I think Dusy doesn't open till the 1st of aug.
Also, it takes 3 days of wheelin to do it...33 miles long.
Last year I left courtright, voyager campground at chicken rock, and went in about 4 hours and I was still 4 hours from Thompson lake, which is about 1/3 the way.
It is rated harder from the south than from the north.
Don't go alone.
You need at least 33's, a locker and at least one in your group should have a winch.
You have to take everything with you, fuel, oils, drinking water, food etc. etc.
Depending on which way u go in will determine time.
From Fresno, I have made it to voyager campground in 2.5 hours....normally with the wifey 3.5 hrs
To Huntington, Kaiser mtn entrance 2 - 2.5 hrs

csumjr 07-07-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbob (Post 3935598)
I would check with DFG. I think Dusy doesn't open till the 1st of aug.
Also, it takes 3 days of wheelin to do it...33 miles long.
Last year I left courtright, voyager campground at chicken rock, and went in about 4 hours and I was still 4 hours from Thompson lake, which is about 1/3 the way.
It is rated harder from the south than from the north.
Don't go alone.
You need at least 33's, a locker and at least one in your group should have a winch.
You have to take everything with you, fuel, oils, drinking water, food etc. etc.
Depending on which way u go in will determine time.
From Fresno, I have made it to voyager campground in 2.5 hours....normally with the wifey 3.5 hrs
To Huntington, Kaiser mtn entrance 2 - 2.5 hrs

Thanks for the info, digging into the research, all week. will keep posted.

sinbob 07-08-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csumjr (Post 3935611)
Thanks for the info, digging into the research, all week. will keep posted.

The weekend you are going I promised to take my wifey to Vegas.
If you wait until further in aug there are a few of us here in the fresno area that would probly join u for the weekend.
If you check out my avatar pic that is the top of chicken rock overlooking courtright lake. If you take the trail to the back of the lake it take 1.5 hours, whereas if you follow the lake line around 10mins

josea1952 07-09-2013 06:34 AM

From everything I've read, seen you're being optimistic on your time. To do it over a weekend you'll have to hump pretty hard. i've been wanting this trail more than any other but I think ima throw 5 days at it.

sinbob 07-09-2013 02:44 PM

Checked with DFG the trail does open the 1st of Aug.

csumjr 07-09-2013 11:44 PM

Okay. I want to get a few things out in the open.
1. I am an intermediate Jeeper, with 32's and open diffs.
2. sinbob, has me second guessing my abilities.
3. I don't think I could ever get better, unless I get off the porch, and run with the big dogs.
4. Someone told me Jeeping is 60% skill, and 40% common sense.
5. Am I a fool for wanting to expand my abilities?

Someone let me know your opinion...please.

H8-roads 07-10-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csumjr
Okay. I want to get a few things out in the open.
1. I am an intermediate Jeeper, with 32's and open diffs.
2. sinbob, has me second guessing my abilities.
3. I don't think I could ever get better, unless I get off the porch, and run with the big dogs.
4. Someone told me Jeeping is 60% skill, and 40% common sense.
5. Am I a fool for wanting to expand my abilities?

Someone let me know your opinion...please.

I think with a good spotter, patience, and skill you should get through just fine. I've seen people get through some pretty hard trails with minimal mods.

josea1952 07-10-2013 06:49 AM

What trails have you done in SOCAL? My only fear would be your time contraints, and if you're in a rush maybe being careless and breaking something.

csumjr 07-10-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josea1952 (Post 3945558)
What trails have you done in SOCAL? My only fear would be your time contraints, and if you're in a rush maybe being careless and breaking something.

Time is the main concern. I now know I have to change the date to sometime after Aug 1. I'll take a vacation day, and drive up the night before so I can have 3 days 2 nights, to do the trail. I've done Gold Crown road, Dishpan Springs, and Last Chance Canyon, and a few other intermediate trails, and challenges in Johnson Valley. I've been practicing at the Azusa Canyon OHV obstacle course, to tweak my skills. This is something I've been planning for a year. I just didn't think I'd come to this forum, and get discouraged. But hey, I have faith in ME, and I've got a view of, "Life is" attitude.....

Gofish TJ 07-10-2013 09:00 PM

I don't think anybody is trying to discourage you, just giving you a heads up on what to expect. There are many great ppl on this forum that help each other out. Dusy is 33 miles long and some parts are as tough as the rubicon. :Thumbsup:

csumjr 07-10-2013 10:02 PM

I'm not trying to break a trail speed record, just have some good wheelin, and relaxin

sinbob 07-15-2013 06:03 PM

I am sorry.....I was not trying to discourage you, just giving you a heads up on what to expect. Just to let you know I have a 06 Rubi on 35's with a winch and I wont do it alone:nonono:.
here are some links to get more information on the trail
californiajeeper.com :: Dusy Ershim Trail
Dusy / Ershim Trail | Dinkey Creek California Off-Road Trails | Trails.com
Dusy Ershim 4x4 Trail | EveryTrail

If you are looking for some really nice trails that only take a weekend to do and will test your skills
There is Red Mountain trailhead. The entrance is only 1 hrs 15 min from fresno and right off of Hwy 168. Takes about 20min to get to the trail head....Sand flats.
From the Sand flats there are 3 trail heads you can do.

West lake and then on to Strawberry lake......about a 2 rated trail.

Mirror Lake.....short run but will test your skills to the max.....1 spot is rated a 5 rest of trail is a 3. 3 weeks ago I missed the line and had to winch the one spot. This last weekend I hit the line and did it with open diffs and in 2nd gear.

Red Lake......about 5 miles long....3 spots are rated 4, rest is 2-3 open diffs are ok......

From the back of Red lake is the entrance = gate keeper to Coyote Lake.
The gate keeper is a 5 but there is a by pass that is easier. Coyote is bueatiful

I have been up there 4 times already this year. The first time when I had to winch I slide off of the rock and crushed my lower control arm mount. This last time I didn't have any damage, but my buddy crushed his left rear door on his new JKRU coming out of Mirror. Great scenery and great country.

Off of the Wishon road is the trail to Swamp lake....about 4 miles....about a 3-4 difficulty.

Good fishing at Mirror, Coyote and Swamp!!!!!

If you are on Face book go to Central Valley Jeepers page. There you will find a lot of pictures of us wheeling these areas.

Again, I apologise for any misconceptions, It was not my intent to discourage you....just inform you!!!!

Also if you ever want to wheel this area give us a jingle on facebook and I bet you will have 5 or 6 of us with you.

sinbob 07-17-2013 09:58 AM

Also take some warm clothes. We were up at red lake this last weekend and at 11pm it was 58 degrees. Later on it got down to 48 degrees. During the day it is very warm, but just as the sun goes down it gets cold fast.

kboucher 07-17-2013 11:46 AM

I have been trying to find you guys on Facebook with no luck, can you give me the link, technology challenged. My wife and I want to come up there soon and was hoping to run with some you.

Thanks

sinbob 07-17-2013 01:25 PM

No problem come on up just give us a heads up when u are coming so we can plan.
I won't be available the next 2 weekends, but am free after that for anyweekend.
Here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CVjeeps/

sinbob 07-17-2013 03:04 PM

also here is a link for more information on the trails in this area

Coyote Lake 4x4 Trail | EveryTrail

csumjr 07-17-2013 11:07 PM

My mind has been made up. I'm taking a FEW vacation days, (Thx Josea1952), packing for 4 days, and doing this trail. I've had 2 near death experiences in my life, and feel.....this may be the one that makes me take life seriously......Weekend of the 23rd good, for witnesses? I'm so there.

csumjr 07-17-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboucher (Post 3972054)
I have been trying to find you guys on Facebook with no luck, can you give me the link, technology challenged. My wife and I want to come up there soon and was hoping to run with some you.

Thanks

Mr. B. I'd be honored if you and the Mrs. made this run with me.

csumjr 07-17-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbob (Post 3972315)
No problem come on up just give us a heads up when u are coming so we can plan.
I won't be available the next 2 weekends, but am free after that for anyweekend.
Here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CVjeeps/

I'd Love for you to be the Trail Guide....IJS

csumjr 07-17-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H8-roads (Post 3944991)
I think with a good spotter, patience, and skill you should get through just fine. I've seen people get through some pretty hard trails with minimal mods.

I'm going for it, August 23rd, and the days to follow.....hope you can make it

Gofish TJ 07-17-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csumjr (Post 3974434)

I'd Love for you to be the Trail Guide....IJS

Sinbob is a great trail guide, I wheeled with him a few times. he knows those trails really well, he grew up in them thar hills. Lol! If I can get the time off work maybe ill join you guys.