Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Locker or Limited Slip (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/locker-or-limited-slip-2536.html)

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 06:59 AM

Locker or Limited Slip

I have a Dana 44 in the rear of my jeep, looking for some more traction. I've always gone with limited slips in my other vehicles, but after seeing my friends truck with a locker in it makes me rethink everything. But I knew a guy that had a locker in the rear end of his jeep, and it blew out his rear end about 3 times within like a 2 year period, which to me is crazy. I would rather go with the limited, and thats probably what i'm going to do, if anyone has good facts to change my mind, please let me know.

jeepersandcreepers 08-09-2006 07:26 AM

It depends on the type of wheeling you do. For hard and technical wheeling a locker is hard to beat but if you have driven a locker in the snow it is a pain to drive. A limited slip is not as strong as a locker because it does slip and many uses a clutch that will wear over time and they are not always positive (true locking) but they are easier to drive in the snow. A good compromise is a selectable locker like ARB, OX or others and they will allow you to go from a full time locker to a open axle when needed.

As for lockers exploding, lunch box lockers are weaker then a Detroit but are easier to install and much cheaper.

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 09:16 AM

I can gurantee you i wont be driving in any snow, i live in south florida, but, if i was to buy a locker, it would be a detroit, nothing else. That doesn't bother me money wise, but dropping 900 dollars for an ARB does bother me. I've heard so many different opinions on lockers vs. limited, i just cant make up my mind. I guess i would rather have the limited, which wont blow out of my rear end anytime soon.

Nick 08-09-2006 09:24 AM

Get a locker. To adress the issue of the blown out rear end it all comes back to how you drive it. From other posts [correct me if im wrong] you have said you drive light footed so i dont think you would run into any problems. Any axle will break if you wheel it too hard with or without a locker.

jeeperman 08-09-2006 10:10 AM

The reason that lockers blow up rear ends (front too, for that matter) is that 100% of the vehicles torque could end up going to one wheel, and with a locker it's the one with traction. If I were you, I would run a limited slip with tires that big on a Dana 44 rear. If you drive with a light enough foot, you should be able to keep it together if you are careful... But I know that I personally couldn't... Too much fun to hammer down sometimes!;) :D

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 10:25 AM

I need to clear something up, while i do preach the creep method, i too like to romp on it every once and a while. (Especially once the Bud kicks in) For the most part though, i am really easy on it, and only get on it if it is a 100% must. So, with that in mind, you guys, for the most part, would say go with a locker? Thats what i am leaning towards.

Nick 08-09-2006 11:59 AM

The dana 44 is a strong axle unless your going bigger then 37's i think it will hold up to whatever you throw at it even with a locker in there.

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 12:38 PM

Yeah, because like i said, i think the 44 is a great axle for anything up to a 38. But i have to friends that had jeeps, both with lockers in the rear end, and they both blew them out. However, they both had Dana 35s with 35 inch tires, and the one guy beat the absolute shit out of his jeep. Well then, with that in mind, the locker i will go with will be a Detroit. Anyone have any other suggestions?

bluvikng 08-09-2006 12:43 PM

The Aussie is a lot cheaper, and seems to hold up very well. Have a friend that has a set, and has wheeled it everywhere, with absolutely no problems with the lockers. They are very quiet as well, not so much clicking noise, when they release.

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 12:56 PM

Thanks blu, i was just looking on the internet and found a Detroit Locker for a 44, 410 bucks. If i could find something a little cheaper, that would hold up just as well, that would be awesome. One more question i should have asked earlier, i drive my jeep on the road about 3 or 4 times a week, should that make a difference in my choice between a locker and a limited?

bluvikng 08-09-2006 01:01 PM

The Aussie locker can be bought for around $250.00 all day long, and they are great on the road. You won't hardly know it is there. Sometimes if you gas on it, turning a corner, they will lock in, and sound like your posi-locked. Sounds cool to me though, its not a bad thing.

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 01:23 PM

Blu, you sound like you know a ton, so i am gonna go with your thoughts on this, and that is probably what i'll order then. If you were going to put one in your Rubi, would you put in a locker or limited?

bluvikng 08-09-2006 01:29 PM

The Rubi has already solved that issue with putting in selectable air lockers from factory, front and rear. But if I had an unlocked Jeep, that is what I would use, they have a good track record. I believe that is what 1BLKJP is using, and he wheels often, and hard, and loves them.

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 01:35 PM

Right after i posted that i remember the air lockers on the rubi, but it sounds like a good deal. They are called Aussie Lockers? I am going to try to find a place on the internet that sells them.

bluvikng 08-09-2006 01:38 PM

Someone has already posted a site for them, let me see if I can find it.

Found it; http://www.offroadlockers.com/

WranglerHawg 08-09-2006 01:45 PM

Found them, 230 bucks. Not bad at all, a hell of a lot better then 410 for a detroit, and everyone says they are amazing for jeeps.

mrbigjeep 08-09-2006 04:01 PM

yup, i've also heard a lot of good things lately about aussie lockers...and i've heard that there pretty good on the street too...if i was you that is what i would go with

SurfnSnow 08-09-2006 05:34 PM

I've heard good things about Aussie lockers too. In the future I'll be going with a selectable electric locker (yeah I know more money) since I do tons of trips to the snow and I want to be able to turn the locker on or off when I want to.

1BLKJP 08-09-2006 06:09 PM

I run Lock-Rights front and rear in mine and I have never had a problem with them at all. I would say that a lunch box locker I.E. Lockright or Aussie will wear out faster than a Detroit, but they are also about half the price. I know guys that have run the same lockrights for 5 or so years with no problems. But I do also know guys that ran Detroits with their Manuals and had driveline issues because of the severe un-loading of the on the street.

Nick 08-10-2006 12:57 AM

Weld the spider gears in your diff together it a free locker that wont ever slip!

Wr@ngler00 08-10-2006 02:18 AM

I talked to the local 4x4 shop here in town last week and they told me that there is no difference in the aussie and the lock-rite....BUT
they also told me that since the aussies are always on back order that if you should have problem that getting them replaced is a pain. Also they told me that the warranty that aussie provides sucks, they said it would take about a month to get a new one should anything happen. This might be something to consider.

bluvikng 08-10-2006 10:57 AM

You are right, Wr@ngler00, they are very similar. Lock-right is a good name too, and probably easier to get. I also believe they have one that is about $20 more, that is a lot quieter, smoother, action.

WranglerHawg 08-10-2006 03:54 PM

Alright, now i'm really confused, i thought people said the lock-rite wasn't as good as the aussie, and it was a lot louder. Final question...if you were going to put one or the other in your jeep, which one would it be...Aussie or Lock rite?

bluvikng 08-10-2006 04:04 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I was just agreeing that the Lock-rite is easier to get, no waiting period, and to match it, the Aussie, I would get the next upgrade of the Lock-rite. It is smoother, and quieter. It costs a little more, 20-30 $, but is smoother operating. Either one will work great. They are fairly close in operation.

bobinyelm 08-13-2006 11:44 PM

LockRight has TWO models, with one being more expensive, but smoother and quieter,

Google them, visit their website and all will be made clear.

I have neither though I fully intend to put one in the front of my 2000 Sport. From the many who have replied, they are unobtrusive, hardly ever make a sound (maybe on REALLY sharp turns), and are fine on ice and snow.

Putting on in the rear, however, can cause some instability on ice and snow I understand. I know a limited slip I had on a CJ made ice and snow more of a challange, so I am going to leave the rear "open."

Again, everyone who did the front said the transformation is nothin short of incredible.

Bob

Quote:

Originally Posted by WranglerHawg
Alright, now i'm really confused, i thought people said the lock-rite wasn't as good as the aussie, and it was a lot louder. Final question...if you were going to put one or the other in your jeep, which one would it be...Aussie or Lock rite?

Jerry Bransford 08-14-2006 12:31 AM

Powertrax makes two lockers, the Lockrite and No-Slip. The No-Slip is a slightly smoother and quieter version of the Lockrite. In a rear axle, the No-Slip would definitely have some smoothness advantages over the Lockrite. In the front however, they are essentially the same and there's no benefit to the No-Slip over the Lockrite... when mounted up front.

I have a No-Slip in my front axle and can detect no difference between it and a Lockright when in the front. Big difference between them when they're in the rear, just not in the front. Reason? Because the rear locker is always tightly locked up all the time due to it always receiving torque from the engine. But in the front, the locker isn't receiving torque in 2wd so it is able to unlock so easily that you really don't even notice it. In 4x4, all that changes. :)

WranglerHawg 08-14-2006 08:22 AM

Looks like i'm going with the no-slip.