Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Goodyear Shop scratched my 4 rims! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/goodyear-shop-scratched-my-4-rims-253600.html)

Jeep Rat 07-04-2013 01:52 PM

Goodyear Shop scratched my 4 rims!
 
5 Attachment(s)
Just got new Duractracs. Got a nice deal. $220 a tire installed. I was happy until I saw my rims.

Four of them have fresh deep nicks on them. I went right back to the shop and the manager offered to have them repainted. I'm not happy with that.

Do I have an other choices? The manager signed and agreed they messed up. Goodyear is closed but I'm calling them first tomorrow morning.

So mad right now.

REK 07-04-2013 02:00 PM

thats sucks, how did they manage to scratch all 4 ??
looks like you get the tires for free or they buy you new rims!!

Jeep Rat 07-04-2013 02:04 PM

Repainting them is not good enough. The shop was real shady about having ME find the scratches on my own. They scratched all four rims. The one rims has 2 scratches.

JSY 07-04-2013 02:12 PM

Man, that's such a pain. A while ago, robertson tire snapped off my practically new lug locks and a stud or two and replaced the locks with a brand that is probably much cheaper and looks worse. In hindsight, I would have asked them to reimburse me for the locks, but I didn't go back and complain. They just won't be receiving any more of my or my friends and relatives business. Snapping off studs is simply the product of laziness. (Using an impact wrench when they shouldn't have.)

I hope it works out for you! If not, you can always leave a layer of mud on your wheels... Haha

TheDesertOutlaw 07-04-2013 02:54 PM

I have scratches on my Black Rocks from what else, rocks. The Representative told me that black paint (in the tube, like nail polish) is what you use to repair scratches. One day, I would like to add silver bead locks to mine.

Jeep Rat 07-04-2013 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The rims are Procomps - Flat Black. Might be hard to find a nail polish color. Dang it.

krisbman 07-04-2013 07:48 PM

Why isnt repainting them good enough??? The integrity of the wheel isnt compromised. Accidents happen, sounds like the manager is taking responsibility for it also.

Jeep Rat 07-04-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 3928222)
Why isnt repainting them good enough??? The integrity of the wheel isnt compromised. Accidents happen, sounds like the manager is taking responsibility for it also.

I don't want them or anyone repainting my rims.

Yeah accidents happen. Maybe with one tire...but not with four.

krisbman 07-04-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Rat (Post 3928296)

I don't want them or anyone repainting my rims.

Yeah accidents happen. Maybe with one tire...but not all five.

Why not???

J33P4M3 07-05-2013 01:14 PM

Agreed, I could see one wheel being nicked, but all four? You didn't pay good money for brand-new wheels to have them looked used before they're even mounted. I would contact the tire installers insurance company.

BDJeep79 07-05-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Rat (Post 3927496)
Repainting them is not good enough. The shop was real shady about having ME find the scratches on my own. They scratched all four rims. The one rims has 2 scratches.

I don't understand why reprinting them isn't good enough for you. Are you wanting them to buy you new wheels? If so that's ridiculous. If someone were to scratch your jeep would you expect them to buy you a new jeep?

krisbman 07-05-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDJeep79 (Post 3930002)

I don't understand why reprinting them isn't good enough for you. Are you wanting them to buy you new wheels? If so that's ridiculous. If someone were to scratch your jeep would you expect them to buy you a new jeep?

This. What if you were to scratch someones fender and they wanted a whole new fender. I bet ya would tell em to go kick rocks.

JPi4.0 07-05-2013 02:30 PM

A car wash dented the hood on my brand new black truck. It was small but you see it because the truck was black. They offered to fix it or give me lifetime free car washes as long as I Owned the truck. I took the car wash deal. Even though it had a small ding in the hood it was the cleanest vehicle I've ever owned.

The point I'm making is see what they will give you in a needed service. Maybe it might be worth more than the scratches.

Then go spend a couple days in the rocks. The scratches won't be lonely that way.

C-Ron 07-05-2013 02:31 PM

Sucks but I agree that repainting them is fair. I stopped worrying about scratches and dents along time ago and when I did, it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders lol. Now if I can just convince my wife to think the same way....

rkwfxd 07-05-2013 02:37 PM

If it were me I would get some flat black Rustoleum, spray it into the cap, use a q-tip to dab a bit of the flat black paint onto the rims were they are nicked and then move on with my life.

About once a year I would check the rims for additional nicks and scratches that I had picked up along the way on the road and I would pull that can of paint out and do it again.

Airtight 07-07-2013 08:53 AM

I got my new Pro-Comp 7031's mounted a few weeks ago, black like yours. When I got home I noticed they had scratched one of them. I thought, "bastards", and then went inside and made myself a sandwich.

krisbman 07-07-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airtight (Post 3934698)
I got my new Pro-Comp 7031's mounted a few weeks ago, black like yours. When I got home I noticed they had scratched one of them. I thought, "bastards", and then went inside and made myself a sandwich.

Lol

kjeeper10 07-07-2013 10:25 PM

That's funny. I had a shop that would not align my jeep.
Says there's no lip for the alignment head to mount and he did not want to scratch my wheels.

Even after saying I don't care just do it. He would not do it :facepalm:

J33P4M3 07-09-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3936967)
That's funny. I had a shop that would not align my jeep.
Says there's no lip for the alignment head to mount and he did not want to scratch my wheels.

Even after saying I don't care just do it. He would not do it :facepalm:

I'm in a similar situation. I just left a shop that said they couldn't connect the alignment tool to the wheels due to not having a "rim" on my wheel. They were afraid of scratching the brand new (rugged ridge 17x9 satin black) wheels.

Is there a method of connecting the tool to the tire as opposed to the wheel?

BDJeep79 07-09-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J33P4M3 (Post 3942017)

I'm in a similar situation. I just left a shop that said they couldn't connect the alignment tool to the wheels due to not having a "rim" on my wheel. They were afraid of scratching the brand new (rugged ridge 17x9 satin black) wheels.

Is there a method of connecting the tool to the tire as opposed to the wheel?

There sure is. Just have to find a shop with the latest and greatest alignment equipment. I use a hunter hawk eye machine and it hooks to the tires. You could also tell them to deflate your tires to be able to get the heads on the wheels.

WXman 07-09-2013 11:03 AM

My take: The only reason black wheels became popular is because when you scratch them up on the trail or elsewhere you can rattle can them and boom they look new again. Black is low maintenance, hence the popularity on Jeeps. I wouldn't crucify the shop over those tiny nicks.

I've actually been to shops before that denied me service because of the liability of scratching wheels. It's very hard to put wheels on the mounting machine and take them off without any flaws at all to the wheel. Forcing a tire onto a wheel isn't exactly a delicate procedure.

GoldenSahara00 07-09-2013 11:10 AM

I've got to have some cheese here somewhere.


Let them paint the wheels, or get them to do free mount/balance for life or something and paint them yourself. Trust me they won't be pretty long. I understand your upset but be reasonable. Them offering to paint them is something. Perhaps select the paint you want and tell them to wet sand between coats or something :rofl:

Jeep Rat 07-09-2013 04:23 PM

With my previous vehicles and the latest with my Jeep I had zero issues with rims. Hell a local Mom and Pop shop took off my old rims and tires...no problem.

I'm working with Goodyear directly instead of the shop.

GT500 07-09-2013 05:39 PM

You'll enjoy your jeep a lot more when it has a few scratches on it!

sprkplg08 07-09-2013 05:53 PM

fix them for you! now get out and put some real scratches on them:punk:

TOK 07-09-2013 06:23 PM

Stuff is gonna happen, but messing up all 4 rims is flat out negligence. I wouldn't let some hack repaint them with rattle can K-Mart paint (unless it was me :whistling:), but I'd sure ask for some cash back for my inconvenience.

JRW7072009 07-09-2013 10:43 PM

I have seen this a lot in my day, I was a Tech at 4WP for a while and people would come in all the time saying that the tire shops down the road scratched there wheels.

Its matter of going to a shop that deals with more after market wheels vs a normal tire shop that does 90% stock car & truck tires. We had tools and attachments on our machine that where plastic so they would not scratch the wheel as much. Sometime the old tires won't come off very easy and small scratches happen its just the way it is.

I agree that scratching all 4 is a little much but I've seen it many times.

I am sure if they do anything they will offer to paint or powder coat them again, I would probably just ask for some cash back and take them out wheeling and get a little rock rash to match...

Rmiller31 07-12-2013 01:21 AM

Agreed just repaint and roll on. The first time you grind that wheel against a rock and rock rash it you'll forget about those little scrapes. I'm not blowing off what they did I just wouldn't worry about it personally. I think all the dings and scrapes from wheeling are more character then anything so you've got a head start ;)

krisbman 07-12-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOK (Post 3943524)
Stuff is gonna happen, but messing up all 4 rims is flat out negligence. I wouldn't let some hack repaint them with rattle can K-Mart paint (unless it was me :whistling:), but I'd sure ask for some cash back for my inconvenience.

Because your a regular rembrant, and you know what it takes to repaint a rim.

TOK 07-12-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 3953327)
Because your a regular rembrant, and you know what it takes to repaint a rim.

Yea, and you're the tire shop putz that screwed them up based on the way you're wanting him to roll over and take it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.