Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Transfer case skid plate options. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/transfer-case-skid-plate-options-253749.html)

Xverrowx 07-05-2013 08:34 AM

Transfer case skid plate options.

I'm just wondering what's out there and some of your thoughts on some of the "tummy tucker" style skid plates. I have an 04 LJ Auto thats just lifted with Daystar spacers right now (patiently waiting for MetalCloak to make a long arm kit) I'd like to do one but I'm not interested in doing a body lift to put one on. I'm trying to keep my center of gravity as low as I can. I also know that I'd have to do a SYE, just looking for thoughts on the skid plate. One that has an optional tranny skid plate would be a double bonus

povchrisw 07-05-2013 09:36 AM

under cover fab

GoldenSahara00 07-05-2013 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you did do a small body lift you could go completely flat:

UCF is a good option, but there are many others out there. I choose the custom route.

Water Dog 07-05-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3929450)
If you did do a small body lift you could go completely flat:

UCF is a good option, but there are many others out there. I choose the custom route.

Would a 1" body lift be enough to go flat? Did you also use a mml? What are you using for a tc mount? Is that just a piece of 1/4" plate? I've been wanting to do something like that.

GoldenSahara00 07-05-2013 10:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 3929536)

Would a 1" body lift be enough to go flat? Did you also use a mml? What are you using for a tc mount? Is that just a piece of 1/4" plate? I've been wanting to do something like that.

Yes. Every tcase/trans difference will vary somewhat. I have 1.25 BL but I could have gotten away with 1. I do have a mml but I don't think it was needed, although it did help with my driveshaft angle and cv operating angle. I have a separate cross member for my tc mount. The skid is 3/16 steel and reinforced.

Water Dog 07-05-2013 10:32 AM

Nice job...!! I like it, I may have to start planning this :thumb:.

GoldenSahara00 07-05-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Dog (Post 3929577)
Nice job...!! I like it, I may have to start planning this :thumb:.

Thanks. More details in my build and you can feel free to message me. I'm doing this a long with an 8.8 rear and a new temp front axle. Final install is coming up next weekend I think. It's been a good bit of work but well worth it.

Xverrowx 07-05-2013 12:10 PM

I don't want to do any body lift at all. Not even a little one. I've already put poly body mounts in my LJ.

Owen_TJ 07-05-2013 12:11 PM

Tummy tuck is next on my list!!

Glad this was posted...

as for golden, i'm right there with ya...my 8.8 is going in in 2 weeks along with chromoly front shafts and 4.88's

Owen_TJ 07-05-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xverrowx (Post 3929843)
I don't want to do any body lift at all. Not even a little one. I've already put poly body mounts in my LJ.

i guess the positive of that is it'll narrow your choices down to just a few options so you wont have to shop much

GoldenSahara00 07-05-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen_TJ (Post 3929847)
Tummy tuck is next on my list!!

Glad this was posted...

as for golden, i'm right there with ya...my 8.8 is going in in 2 weeks along with chromoly front shafts and 4.88's

I think I'm building a big boy front axle this winter into next summer. Unless this local guy who was selling me alloy d30 shafts comes through.

OP. look at UCFs no body lift skid.

NJO 07-05-2013 12:36 PM

Golden: We might not agree on the quality or engineering of "Zone" products, but I do LOVE your flat pan TC skid setup.

I will also though put a nod to the UCF under armor option.

Undercover fab makes a great and SIMPLE TC/Engine skid system giving you the option of various thicknesses in both aluminum and steel. THey also give you 3 different tuck options with 1.5,2.5 and "flat pan" style 3.5" tuck options along with a DIY version as well. I run the aluminum 3.5" tuck version that includes the engine skid and also did their aluminum 1" tuck gas tank skid as well. All fantastic easy to bolt on products. I could have gone the DIY route as well and gained another half inch on the TC skid, but for the pricing, fit and finish and customer service combined Im glad I went with them and stuck with a simple bolt on mod. I gained a solid 3.5" clearance under the belly of my LJ, significantly improved the protection of key components underneath(engine oil pan,tranny,tc)and lost a significant amount of weight in the process. All at a reasonable price. And UCF offers a 10% discount code too.

All Terrain TJ 07-05-2013 12:51 PM

I run the UCF ultra high skid (1" below frame rails) and lowpro mount with no BL. Tcase is still almost 1" from the tub.

GoldenSahara00 07-05-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3929935)
Golden: We might not agree on the quality or engineering of "Zone" products, but I do LOVE your flat pan TC skid setup.

I will also though put a nod to the UCF under armor option.

Undercover fab makes a great and SIMPLE TC/Engine skid system giving you the option of various thicknesses in both aluminum and steel. THey also give you 3 different tuck options with 1.5,2.5 and "flat pan" style 3.5" tuck options along with a DIY version as well. I run the aluminum 3.5" tuck version that includes the engine skid and also did their aluminum 1" tuck gas tank skid as well. All fantastic easy to bolt on products. I could have gone the DIY route as well and gained another half inch on the TC skid, but for the pricing, fit and finish and customer service combined Im glad I went with them and stuck with a simple bolt on mod. I gained a solid 3.5" clearance under the belly of my LJ, significantly improved the protection of key components underneath(engine oil pan,tranny,tc)and lost a significant amount of weight in the process. All at a reasonable price. And UCF offers a 10% discount code too.

Thank you. The zone certainly isn't the best but the springs and shocks have held up so far for me. Shocks will soon be replaced by longer travel ones once I outboard and later the springs will likely be changed when I establish my final ride height for 37s down the line. In the end it won't matter much but they do what I need them to for the time I need them to do it!

Yep, UCF makes great products. :thumb: