Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Parking Break Lines Are Too Long (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/parking-break-lines-are-too-long-253775.html)

Fa310tx 07-05-2013 11:11 AM

Parking Break Lines Are Too Long
 
1 Attachment(s)
So, I realized a few days ago, that my parking break isn't working.
The light comes on, but it just rolls.
I hopped under the Jeep to see if I could figure out what the problem was (I'm a rubbish mechanic, but I might be able to see something).
The break lines weren't even connected to the main handle line.
It looks like the break lines are too long (by a good couple of inches).
Is it logical that the lines are actually too long or could they be disconnected or something?
I wonder how much it might cost to get it fixed?
I've been parking it in neutral, as much as possible, but I just stick it in first, for the rest of the time.
I was told that's not good for the transmission, though.
JJ

RevCo666 07-05-2013 11:14 AM

For years (owning several different types of standard vehicles) I usually pop it in 1st and haven't had any problems. My guess is that the line has lost some tension for over use and wear and tear(maybe)??

Jerry Bransford 07-05-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fa310tx (Post 3929673)
So, I realized a few days ago, that my parking break isn't working.
The light comes on, but it just rolls.
I hopped under the Jeep to see if I could figure out what the problem was (I'm a rubbish mechanic, but I might be able to see something).
The break lines weren't even connected to the main handle line.
It looks like the break lines are too long (by a good couple of inches).
Is it logical that the lines are actually too long or could they be disconnected or something?
I wonder how much it might cost to get it fixed?
I've been parking it in neutral, as much as possible, but I just stick it in first, for the rest of the time.
I was told that's not good for the transmission, though.
JJ

Are left/right cables still connected to the levers that protrude through the brake backing plate? They just slip over the levers so it's feasible they were removed when work was done & someone forgot to put them back in place.

GoldenSahara00 07-05-2013 11:18 AM

Could it have broken either mid line or in the drum and allowed the cable to get pulled up though? Check the other end at the drum.

04Xtj 07-06-2013 12:18 PM

dont trust first gear for your braking needs..i put my yota in first on a slight grade..maybe 5%..i came out with a coffee to find it out of the parking spot loping toward the gas pumps..bad compresion i know..but is yours with 50k plus on it still factory tight?..no..

WredTJ 07-06-2013 12:48 PM

Slight side track... My parking brake only holds tight at the last click. From searching I found folks say not just to tighten up that assemble but to do a whole brake adjustment. I don't have those skills anymore but would feel comfortable with a few turns of a wrench and to tighten that parking brake bolts.

What do folks think about a turn or 2 on the parking brake lines without adjusting rear brakes when the car does brake and come to a stop in quickly, without slack in the pedal and evenly w/o dive?

jeepwayoflife 07-06-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WredTJ (Post 3932828)
Slight side track... My parking brake only holds tight at the last click. From searching I found folks say not just to tighten up that assemble but to do a whole brake adjustment. I don't have those skills anymore but would feel comfortable with a few turns of a wrench and to tighten that parking brake bolts.

What do folks think about a turn or 2 on the parking brake lines without adjusting rear brakes when the car does brake and come to a stop in quickly, without slack in the pedal and evenly w/o dive?

Take it to your local brake shop and have them adjust them so they are properly set. If the problem is still there, then adjust the linkage. Adjusting the linkage when the brakes are off will put tons of stress on the ebrake assembly when the brake pedal is pushed down. Those who have taken drum brakes apart know what I'm talking about.

freeskier 07-06-2013 06:32 PM

Looks like it's not connected on the other end and the cables were pulled through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04Xtj (Post 3932762)
dont trust first gear for your braking needs..i put my yota in first on a slight grade..maybe 5%..i came out with a coffee to find it out of the parking spot loping toward the gas pumps..bad compresion i know..but is yours with 50k plus on it still factory tight?..no..

First gear will hold me on some very steep hills, but the 4.88 gears help out with that. I still use the parking brake though.

WredTJ 07-06-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3933467)
Take it to your local brake shop and have them adjust them so they are properly set. If the problem is still there, then adjust the linkage. Adjusting the linkage when the brakes are off will put tons of stress on the ebrake assembly when the brake pedal is pushed down. Those who have taken drum brakes apart know what I'm talking about.

Thanks! Sorta figured that'd be the answer! I haven't done brakes in almost 20 years and not feeling sure of myself anymore :nonono:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.