Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Soft top rear window removal (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-rear-window-removal-254070.html)

giannivitale 07-06-2013 10:27 PM

Soft top rear window removal

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to take the the rear window off but can't seem to unzip it completely off , I unzip it all the way to to driver side and then get stuck. Is there a something im doing wrong? Is there a thread to this? Newbie to soft tops

Attachment 269781

giannivitale 07-06-2013 10:27 PM

That is the end of the zipper on the driver side

goose39 07-06-2013 10:38 PM

my rear window is a bitch also... ill unzip all the way to the driver side and then use my thumb to push the threads upward, into the bottom-most zipper to make sure the threads are both lined up properly and the zipper itself is at the end of the "line." I've noticed that the tension between the back window and the 2 pillar covers it zips to on either side tend to pull the bottom of the zipper threads apart in the shape of an upside-down "Y" (like in your picture). i can usually get the window out pretty easily; putting it back in is the annoying part. Subscribed because i hope someone has a better solution.

giannivitale 07-06-2013 10:46 PM

I've tried pushing it upward but to no avail. Hopefully someone will help us out

xjcj5jku 07-06-2013 11:03 PM

It can be stubborn! I have used a needle nose pliers to grab the tab and "work it!" More force than I am comfortable with... but it can work.

Ivan M 07-06-2013 11:10 PM

If all else fails, youtube has plenty of videos on how to best do it.

jadmt 07-06-2013 11:31 PM

The new premium tops must be easier as my rear window unzips and zips easily both off and on. I think you are at the point where you just need to give it a good tug down ward on the window. the zipper pulls stay on the window not the top.

erik8312 07-07-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3934324)
The new premium tops must be easier as my rear window unzips and zips easily both off and on. I think you are at the point where you just need to give it a good tug down ward on the window. the zipper pulls stay on the window not the top.

That's the key point, the zippers stay on the window and not the top. Try to pull down the zippers and back window at the same time. Make sure the window bar is unhooked too. Makes it much easier

Drtdvl 07-07-2013 01:19 AM

Not sure if you are doing this but i always remove/loosen the rear driver side sailcloth from the vehicle to get better access to the zipper. It allows access to the zipper with two hands and the zipper is easy to unzip.

giannivitale 07-07-2013 01:59 AM

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

theStickbug 07-07-2013 07:27 AM

Fron that pic I only see one zipper. On my new Premium too the back has two zippers. Unzip from the passenger side so both are on the drivers side and it should pull right out. Mine does.

It's early and I may be seeing the picture wrong on my phone...

BadOleRoss 07-07-2013 11:34 AM

No, your right, there is something about that picture that doesn't look right. On my 2013, both ends of the zipper end up on the drivers side and then I pull on that lower side of the rear window and it comes right off.

Martinm66 07-07-2013 11:35 AM

Mine can be a nightmare. I noticed when it is the teeth on the zipper at the detachment point are not lined up correctly. It's usually because I was in a hurry putting it back in and only off a tooth or two but that makes it so it will not line up in the zipper mechanism to release. What I did was pull it apart at the detachment point and up a few inches. Then slowly unzip while keeping the bottom aligned. At some point I have to jam it through and hope for the best. When the silver ends are correctly aligned right after that it pops right off.

Peter T 07-07-2013 12:04 PM

I just install my premium top yesterday. Both zippers are on the window. They both start on the drivers side. The top most zipper goes all the way up and over to the passanger side bottom. I just went out and checked. Unzip from passanger side all the way back to drivers side bottom and pulled down on window and window came right off.

michiganadam 07-07-2013 02:20 PM

Make sure the bottom zipper car is at the end of the track and its easy.

Sailpanelh might not be lined up quite right. If you managed to get the side windows zipped all the way up easily then the sail panels arent positioned right

Lube the zipper with a bar of soap. I keep one in the glove box.

goose39 07-07-2013 05:17 PM

^^ bar of soap? ill have to try that one out. i have noticed the zipping getting tougher/stiffer and the mechanism seems to "dry out." hopefully all this can be avoided with a trek top in about 9.5 months.

giannivitale 07-07-2013 08:03 PM

There is 2 zippers ,just trying to figure out if I was unzipping on the correct side. This would be my first time taking it off and it just won't come off .

jadmt 07-07-2013 08:32 PM

Zip the pass. Side to the drivers side pull down on window to remove

michiganadam 07-07-2013 08:35 PM

It unzips to the drivers side

IowaRaider 07-07-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giannivitale (Post 3936606)
There is 2 zippers ,just trying to figure out if I was unzipping on the correct side. This would be my first time taking it off and it just won't come off .

Looks like it should be fine, unzip both to the drivers side and pull the window down. As has been said the zippers stay on the window, knowing that makes it much easier.

michiganadam 07-07-2013 09:47 PM

Lost my train of thought while making that last post. Was going to say that the zipper cars go with the window. It can be a little tricky since both need to slide off the end at the same time

Also, theres two zippers so you can roll the window up. Which will scratch the crap out of the window.

jadmt 07-07-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3937071)
Lost my train of thought while making that last post. Was going to say that the zipper cars go with the window. It can be a little tricky since both need to slide off the end at the same time

Also, theres two zippers so you can roll the window up. Which will scratch the crap out of the window.

my rear window was pristine then a bird shit on it which etched it then I rolled it up which scuffed the crap out of it. I was super careful and had it spotless clean when I rolled it up but after a day of running around it had numerous scuff marks. These are super soft material not sure how to prevent it. I notice every soft top I see that is more then a few years old has tough looking windows in the rear.

michiganadam 07-08-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3937278)
my rear window was pristine then a bird shit on it which etched it then I rolled it up which scuffed the crap out of it. I was super careful and had it spotless clean when I rolled it up but after a day of running around it had numerous scuff marks. These are super soft material not sure how to prevent it. I notice every soft top I see that is more then a few years old has tough looking windows in the rear.

The windows are crap. You cant even open them in the winter. I cracked my back window that way. Then how am i supposed to put anything in the back of the jeep? Sticking my head in under thne window, through the tailgate, is awfully awkward.

Funny thing, i know a guy around town with a YJ that says he opens his back window in the winter all the time without any problem. His windows are tough looking but not too bad.

I'm going to replace my back windows when they look like shitocki mushrooms, as i've already accepted they wont last as long as the top.

Anyway, your post is exactly why i just do whatever the hell i want with them. Why waste the money on a window roll when they just get damaged just from existing.

Matador 07-08-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3937825)
The windows are crap. You cant even open them in the winter. I cracked my back window that way. Then how am i supposed to put anything in the back of the jeep? Sticking my head in under thne window, through the tailgate, is awfully awkward.

Funny thing, i know a guy around town with a YJ that says he opens his back window in the winter all the time without any problem. His windows are tough looking but not too bad.

I'm going to replace my back windows when they look like shitocki mushrooms, as i've already accepted they wont last as long as the top.

Anyway, your post is exactly why i just do whatever the hell i want with them. Why waste the money on a window roll when they just get damaged just from existing.

I have found that the best way to open the rear window in order to get access to the back is unzip both sides up to the top, then with both sides unzipped just pick up and flop the window over the rear top of the soft top. Load/unload whatever you need to do in the back then flop the window back down and zip the sides closed, literally takes seconds and is really easy to do.

kurtz265 07-08-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 3938033)
I have found that the best way to open the rear window in order to get access to the back is unzip both sides up to the top, then with both sides unzipped just pick up and flop the window over the rear top of the soft top. Load/unload whatever you need to do in the back then flop the window back down and zip the sides closed, literally takes seconds and is really easy to do.

This is exactly what I do- unzip each side and flop it over the top so the dog can jump up and in without having to do this "jump duck" maneuver.

derf 07-08-2013 10:23 AM

I had trouble getting the zippers to come loose on my rear window. I have a bottle of silicone spray from a local hardware store. I sprayed that on the end of the zipper and a couple inches up. That really helped a lot more than anything else. Once I did that I could easily push the zippers down far enough that the whole thing released and the window came out.

Matador 07-08-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 3938212)
I had trouble getting the zippers to come loose on my rear window. I have a bottle of silicone spray from a local hardware store. I sprayed that on the end of the zipper and a couple inches up. That really helped a lot more than anything else. Once I did that I could easily push the zippers down far enough that the whole thing released and the window came out.

They also make this stuff

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.a...ST&w=400&h=400

michiganadam 07-08-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador (Post 3938033)

Well it never stays that way for me so i usually unzip it the same way and tuck it up to the rollbar on the inside.

Did it in the winter and it cracked....

Thats bull that i cant use the window in the winter.....

chopperbobby 07-08-2013 01:14 PM

looks like you are on the passenger side. Mine goes to the driver side to come off. but it has two zippers not one.

IowaRaider 07-08-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3938605)
Well it never stays that way for me so i usually unzip it the same way and tuck it up to the rollbar on the inside.

Did it in the winter and it cracked....

Thats bull that i cant use the window in the winter.....

That is why I went dual tops, so I can get in the back in the winter. No other reason for the hard top.