Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Snach blocks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/snach-blocks-254221.html)

Michigan jeeper 07-07-2013 06:01 PM

Snach blocks
 
Can you use these with the regular steel cables I don't plan on having the steel cable long just until I can afford a synthetic cable and how many pound snach block should I get I have a warn xd9000i winch

roadyrob 07-07-2013 06:15 PM

yes, it will work fine with steel cable. get a block thats at least double your winch.

AllMudd 07-07-2013 06:52 PM

Warn sells one for their winches and I have it. I've only needed to use it once but it helps and does wonders!

Michigan jeeper 07-07-2013 08:20 PM

I've heard it doubles your winches pulling power is that true?

AllMudd 07-07-2013 08:23 PM

Yes it does. But I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate. If you winch is 9000, they say you can pull 18000 with a snatch block. But then your running into can your cable or bumper handle that much?

Jared66 07-07-2013 08:41 PM

Something to think about . Check the weight of your jeep. No matter if you have a 6000lb Winch. Or a 60,000 lb winch. You can only pull the weight of your jeep, then it starts pulling you! In which case you need to either get your wheels stuck behind a big log or rock. Or tie your jeep to something good and solid . That's when you test the power of your winch. And a snatch block is a key tool. It's all about physics. It comes down to: you can only pull what your weakest link is. Wether it be your cable, your rigging, your power plant, your rig, etc. rigging and recovery isn't something to take lightly. The physics involved when it comes to putting chains and cables and straps under load via a winch or engine etc, create a very great danger. You can either learn the hard way and kill some one. Or learn the smart way, which you can still get killed, but you lessen the chances. If your rigging experience is lacking. Get out with some guys that truly know their stuff. And study and learn from them. This stuff can save or take away your life, or your loved ones. Don't take chances when there is no need. Theres rigging courses you can take through technical institutes aswell. Used for rigging in construction with cranes etc. all the same concepts. Know your equipment and it's capabilities, and know how to asses the task at hand safely and efficiently with your gear you have.. In the end the point of the rigging is to get you home safe. Not dead.

banks316 07-07-2013 08:58 PM

Also on one side note. The pully in the block must be steel if your running cable and poly if your running rope. Steel pully will ruin the rope if your use it just like your have to get rid of your steel fairlead and go with and aluminum one, or put polly rollers on your fairlead

Michigan jeeper 07-07-2013 09:36 PM

Thanks guys this is a lot of help to me and most likely many others!

Michigunman 07-07-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316 (Post 3936859)
Also on one side note. The pully in the block must be steel if your running cable and poly if your running rope. Steel pully will ruin the rope if your use it just like your have to get rid of your steel fairlead and go with and aluminum one, or put polly rollers on your fairlead

Hmm, never heard of that. How would a steel pulley ruin synthetic rope?

banks316 07-07-2013 09:51 PM

It gets burs on the steel adbrasive and can snag the rope. Thats why you dont use a steel fairlead. Hant you ever notice that no winch that come with rope has a steel roller fairlead

Michigunman 07-07-2013 10:20 PM

Agree that if it's been used with wire rope and is marred up sure, I wouldn't use rope on it. If it's only being used for synthetic it's not going to get burs to begin with. Something definitely to be aware of if someone pulls out a block that is not yours.

bajajohn 07-07-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 3936792)
Something to think about . Check the weight of your jeep. No matter if you have a 6000lb Winch. Or a 60,000 lb winch. You can only pull the weight of your jeep, then it starts pulling you! In which case you need to either get your wheels stuck behind a big log or rock. Or tie your jeep to something good and solid . That's when you test the power of your winch. And a snatch block is a key tool. It's all about physics. It comes down to: you can only pull what your weakest link is. Wether it be your cable, your rigging, your power plant, your rig, etc. rigging and recovery isn't something to take lightly. The physics involved when it comes to putting chains and cables and straps under load via a winch or engine etc, create a very great danger. You can either learn the hard way and kill some one. Or learn the smart way, which you can still get killed, but you lessen the chances. If your rigging experience is lacking. Get out with some guys that truly know their stuff. And study and learn from them. This stuff can save or take away your life, or your loved ones. Don't take chances when there is no need. Theres rigging courses you can take through technical institutes aswell. Used for rigging in construction with cranes etc. all the same concepts. Know your equipment and it's capabilities, and know how to asses the task at hand safely and efficiently with your gear you have.. In the end the point of the rigging is to get you home safe. Not dead.





From a Retired Ironworker, that's the best advice I have read on this forum. :thumb::thumb:

Jared66 07-08-2013 01:07 AM

Thanks. I'm an operator an a welder up here in Vancouver bc. Far from retired though.

bajajohn 07-08-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 3937539)
Thanks. I'm an operator an a welder up here in Vancouver bc. Far from retired though.



For many years I worked for a construction co in Texas I was a foreman in charge of erecting their Tower Cranes, Man lifts and all material handling equipment. I had a 5 man crew and our life's depended on each other You cant get closer to a bunch of men than that. :dance:

AllMudd 07-08-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajajohn (Post 3941059)

For many years I worked for a construction co in Texas I was a foreman in charge of erecting their Tower Cranes, Man lifts and all material handling equipment. I had a 5 man crew and our life's depended on each other You cant get closer to a bunch of men than that. :dance:

I can say that you might be able I get closer. Military service! That's where you get the closest. Another guy watching your back all day everyday while deployed to foreign nations protecting this wonderful country!

Jared66 07-08-2013 11:50 PM

No matter the fight. Brotherhood is brotherhood.

whiteyj 07-08-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316 (Post 3936859)
Also on one side note. The pully in the block must be steel if your running cable and poly if your running rope. Steel pully will ruin the rope if your use it just like your have to get rid of your steel fairlead and go with and aluminum one, or put polly rollers on your fairlead

Horse hockey

whiteyj 07-08-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banks316 (Post 3937081)
It gets burs on the steel adbrasive and can snag the rope. Thats why you dont use a steel fairlead. Hant you ever notice that no winch that come with rope has a steel roller fairlead

Winch and the fairlead are two seperate items......Just so you can made your decisions. A steel wheel is not going to get burs from a synthetic cable. Never seen a snatch block with a plastic wheel?

ChicoJeepy 07-09-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyj (Post 3941148)
Winch and the fairlead are two seperate items......Just so you can made your decisions. A steel wheel is not going to get burs from a synthetic cable. Never seen a snatch block with a plastic wheel?

Ewwww...... plastic.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.