Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How would you negotiate this 2014 JKU order? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-would-you-negotiate-this-2014-jku-order-254361.html)

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 11:12 AM

How would you negotiate this 2014 JKU order?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so if you have been on the forum the past month you have probably seen me post once or twice. :rofl: I am waiting on granite crystal to become available and then I will be ordering the attachment below.

I joined Treadlightly to get the 1% below invoice, but I am really trying hard to get at least 2% below invoice on this order or a little more if possible. I have contacted a few local dealers and have been talking with them via email. I have my hopes up that the granite may be available to order this week, so I am trying to get all the haggling out of the way so I can just go in and get my order started as soon as possible.

This is only my second vehicle I have ever bought brand new and the 1st vehicle I have ever ordered. What would be your approach? And what would you expect to pay for what I have built?

BXCc 07-08-2013 11:34 AM

1% is only $297. Keep the buyer/dealer relationship intact and try for $300 worth of accessories. Saves you $300 and costs them less than $200. That normally works better for me anyway. Good luck either way.

finaldestiny979 07-08-2013 11:38 AM

How are you paying is there a trade involved just trying to get all the facts.

Up Hill Bill 07-08-2013 11:39 AM

Some dealers will offer 2% under and wave the $75 Affiliates fee, others stick with the strict 1% under, which is a great deal, IMO.

But, is getting another $296 off the price that important to you? The whole purpose of the program is to get a great price without the haggling and hassles, for both you and the dealer. :thumb:

Remember, you are still eligible for any other incentives or discounts you qualify for - loyalty, military, etc.

Arturo22 07-08-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill (Post 3938403)
Some dealers will offer 2% under and wave the $75 Affiliates fee, others stick with the strict 1% under, which is a great deal, IMO.

But, is getting another $296 off the price that important to you? The whole purpose of the program is to get a great price without the haggling and hassles, for both you and the dealer. :thumb:

Remember, you are still eligible for any other incentives or discounts you qualify for - loyalty, military, etc.

Chrysler is paying the dealership 2% to sell it to you on Affilliate Rewards. Even if the dealership sells it to you at 2% under invoice he is getting paid back that roughly $600 from Chrysler so it has a net effect of selling it to you at invoice which means he is still making 3% of MSRP excluding the $995 shipping from the holdback.

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 12:23 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Arturo22, that was my understanding on how the affiliates rewards worked also. The dealer gets 2% and if the dealer passes the 2% on to me then he is still selling the Jeep at invoice price. I know asking the dealer to split the holdback is a stretch, but that is what I am trying for. I am hoping to get 2% below invoice at the minimum and then if they will split the holdback(or throw in some free floor mats or something I would be happy).

I know the affiliates program is to help make the process haggle free and easy, but I like making things hard I guess:rolleyes:. I don't want to stick it to the dealership or anything, but all they have to do is click a few buttons to order my Jeep and I will be there as soon as it arrives to pick it up and pay for it.

I have about 5 or 6K I am putting down on it... no trade

Rubiwho 07-08-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sucker Punch (Post 3938520)
Thanks for the tips guys. Arturo22, that was my understanding on how the affiliates rewards worked also. The dealer gets 2% and if the dealer passes the 2% on to me then he is still selling the Jeep at invoice price. I know asking the dealer to split the holdback is a stretch, but that is what I am trying for. I am hoping to get 2% below invoice at the minimum and then if they will split the holdback(or throw in some free floor mats or something I would be happy).

I know the affiliates program is to help make the process haggle free and easy, but I like making things hard I guess:rolleyes:. I don't want to stick it to the dealership or anything, but all they have to do is click a few buttons to order my Jeep and I will be there as soon as it arrives to pick it up and pay for it.

I have about 5 or 6K I am putting down on it... no trade

What it comes down to is the ammo you have in your back pocket.

I sent you a PM

dklassen 07-08-2013 12:43 PM

I'd like to here about the ammo. I'm working prices right now with dealers on a 13 JKU. May trade my pristine 06 TJ, but not sure. I'm paying cash.

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks Rubiwho :thumb:

Rubiwho 07-08-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dklassen (Post 3938572)
I'd like to here about the ammo. I'm working prices right now with dealers on a 13 JKU. May trade my pristine 06 TJ, but not sure. I'm paying cash.

Search dealerships online (auto trader, eBay, dealer website)in your area and surrounding states and see who has the best deal. Go to the guy you like and say I know you can do this because other people are. If you can't match or beat it, thank you, and leave. Tell them you wanted to give them the first opportunity to earn my business. Then go to the guy that will. Or just ask for the 2% affiliate of 1% tread lightly. If you want to come to Atlanta and get one PM me.

The-Judge 07-08-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arturo22 (Post 3938435)

Chrysler is paying the dealership 2% to sell it to you on Affilliate Rewards. Even if the dealership sells it to you at 2% under invoice he is getting paid back that roughly $600 from Chrysler so it has a net effect of selling it to you at invoice which means he is still making 3% of MSRP excluding the $995 shipping from the holdback.

Go on jeep website and request a brochure ( sorry about spelling ). And they should send you a $500 dollar coupon. I just received one this past week . I think this is how I got it

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Judge (Post 3938664)
Go on jeep website and request a brochure ( sorry about spelling ). And they should send you a $500 dollar coupon. I just received one this past week . I think this is how I got it

Shoot! You are one of the lucky ones. I just got the stinkin brochure without the $500 coupon:nonono:

StarBrite 07-08-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sucker Punch (Post 3938694)
Shoot! You are one of the lucky ones. I just got the stinkin brochure without the $500 coupon:nonono:

We picked up Mike's jeep October 6th and finally got a brochure with a $500 coupon last week. And with the expiration date, I doubt it will still be valid when hydros are available! :facepalm:

BXCc 07-08-2013 04:11 PM

All valid points. Speaking from experience, I don't fret over 1% if everything is taken care of and goes very smoothly. Here's why.

Back in 2005 I was dead set on a new Tacoma. My wife at the time was on board with it too. I walked away from the perfect one because of a $500 difference. Two weeks later my wife comes home with a Jeep Liberty. WTF!! :banghead::banghead::banghead: (For the record, I believe in only one payment. One nice car and one beater / commuter car) So now she was driving a problem child Liberty and I was using the commuter. Needless to say, she is no longer my wife and I no longer fret over a couple hundred bucks. Get a good honest deal on the Jeep you love and be happy. In the end, it's all the matters.

Rubiwho 07-08-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BXCc (Post 3939229)
I no longer fret over a couple hundred bucks. Get a good honest deal on the Jeep you love and be happy. In the end, it's all the matters.

Amen...

donmeca2020 07-08-2013 05:04 PM

Sucker be aware that ALOT of jeep dealerships are always going to start off with
"Well you know, there are No incentives or rebates available for This vehicle" or the famous "This is a one of a kind vehicle" they throw every BS line at you... if they don't honor treadlighty then i would report them immediately to chrysler.

As far as dealing with any of them, i would suggest contacting quite a few and seeing who will order it for you with the best price. someone will give you a good price and there will be others will will try to beat or match. its definetly gonna take some time.

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 05:04 PM

I totally agree. I am not worried about a couple hundred dollars. I'm just worried about when my granite crystal will be available to order....

Tldwyer 07-08-2013 05:27 PM

I got my 14 with minimal haggling all online and ended up at employee pricing, I would shoot for that including destination.

THW 07-08-2013 05:34 PM

I mentioned my tread lightly membership at the closest dealership to me, and they immediately offered 2% below invoice. I think you'll be surprised to find that once you have access to the affiliate rewards, dealers back off from the whole zero sum negotiating game pretty fast. Especially because there's only so much $ they can make from you, and they're rather spend their time making more money from someone else. I happily took the 2% below invoice offer, knowing that I could have tried to squeeze blood from the stone, but why bother? That said, I respect your prerogative to drive the price down to bedrock if you want.

BostonStrong77 07-08-2013 06:11 PM

I contacted 4 dealerships in my area and told them exactly what model and options I wanted. I even sent them my build sheet (minus pricing) and told them I was a member of the Affiliates program. 3 of them told me the price, which was 1% below invoice, and 1 told me that they would do the 1%, and no doc fees. So that's the one I'm going with. Sometimes just getting a good deal instead of beating your brains trying to get an extra $100 is worth it. But in the end, if you feel you got a good price, then who cares what others think. Plus you got a freakin Jeep!

rvator 07-08-2013 07:52 PM

Nice choice with the half doors, ordering them is the best way.

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 08:07 PM

Well, I haven't officially changed my order but now I am looking at possibly swapping over to a rubicon. All the same features, but probably go with 130 radio instead of the 430, 4.10 gears, no tow package, auto, and possibly upgrading to front side air bags. This will take away from some of my immediate mods, but not all if I go this route...

Dillon152 07-08-2013 08:28 PM

my dealer gave me the FFP price (using TL) and they took off the entire holdback too... turned out to be 4% under invoice

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 08:39 PM

Cool thanks for the info. I know the deals vary by dealer and what part of the country you are in. I will be happy with anything below 2% under invoice

Dillon152 07-08-2013 08:45 PM

I'm in Toledo. I knew between their Holdback and the 1% of invoice Chrysler gives them, they were looking at about 1200$ profit off me... Once the sales manager knew that I knew what his profit was, he just gave me the entire holdback off the price.

Sucker Punch 07-08-2013 09:21 PM

Well I just got an email back from one dealer saying they would give me the 2% below invoice and split the holdback with me...:facepalm::D. I'm happy, but maybe I didn't ask for enough:rofl:.

I'm still trying to decide on going with the rubicon instead of the sport. Does the connectivity package and power convenience group come standard on the JKUR's? I also like that I can add the front side air bags on the rubicon. I just hate paying for the stinking power locks, windows, and security system when they aren't available with the half doors:banghead:

donmeca2020 07-08-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sucker Punch (Post 3940461)
Well I just got an email back from one dealer saying they would give me the 2% below invoice and split the holdback with me...:facepalm::D. I'm happy, but maybe I didn't ask for enough:rofl:.

I'm still trying to decide on going with the rubicon instead of the sport. Does the connectivity package and power convenience group come standard on the JKUR's? I also like that I can add the front side air bags on the rubicon. I just hate paying for the stinking power locks, windows, and security system when they aren't available with the half doors:banghead:

sounds pretty good dude, why all of the sudden interest in the rubicon? its still going to be signifcantly higher then the sport you had in mind.

by the way you don't need the max tow package if you want the 3.73 rear axel. you get the 3.73 by its self.

Sucker Punch 07-09-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmeca2020 (Post 3940939)
sounds pretty good dude, why all of the sudden interest in the rubicon? its still going to be signifcantly higher then the sport you had in mind.

by the way you don't need the max tow package if you want the 3.73 rear axel. you get the 3.73 by its self.

I am thinking Rubicon because I plan on keeping it forever and think the dana 44 front and 4.10 gears will work best in the long run. I will likely start out with 35's, but may want to go up to 37's in the future. The 4.10 gears should do ok with 37's. The 3.73 gears may not do do hot with 37's... Yes it will be another 5,000 or so, but this way I don't have to regear, or upgrade the front axle at a later date... I haven't made up my mind 100% yet.

I'm still trying to figure out about the connectivity group on the Rubicons. They are shown as an option on the 2014 info thread so I am wondering if they are included in price or just missing from the price list break down?

Rooster76 07-09-2013 10:42 AM

For 2012 connectivity was an option. I don't have it, and it would be especially nice with the EVIC upgrades in 2014. Im not all about getting all the options, but I would get that one.

Power was an option. I have it. The door knobs hit my knee on a test drive, so that made the decision easy as a must have. It also controls the door (gate) locks . It may do the security system? I would just assume not having it personally. It will go off if you lock it with a key fob and unlock it with a key. Found that out about 2 am at a busy campsite.

I would guess those two are still options. If you build out one on the jeep site, you should be able to figure out.

smohr33 07-09-2013 11:05 AM

I just bought a JKU Sahara this past weekend, I wound up at almost 5% below invoice. The sale price was $800 below invoice (2% below), and on top of that I used a $1000 Chrysler lease conquest rebate. If you are in a lease right now (ANY lease, mine is a BMW), you qualify.

It only took a handful of emails to various dealers within a 200mi radius to get these numbers. I actually had another dealer at $1000 below invoice, but he was offering less for my trade. He said he would order me a '14 at the same price but I'm impaitent.