Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Purchasing New Headlights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/purchasing-new-headlights-254398.html)

Austin_FL 07-08-2013 02:09 PM

Purchasing New Headlights
 
Curious what you all thought about HIDs vs an upgraded headlight? Do I need a ballast for both? Or just the bulb? Help please

deepbluerubi 07-08-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_FL (Post 3938855)
Curious what you all thought about HIDs vs an upgraded headlight? Do I need a ballast for both? Or just the bulb? Help please

If you are in Florida I would consider LED's like truck lites or speaker 8700's , if you live anywhere you might encounter any kind of icing then the only hids I would use are Susquehanna motor sports and they would set you back $1500. DOT compliant though. I'm pretty happy with a $30 upgrade bulb Phillips extreme 80's. They don't last as long as stock but bang for buck I'm ok with it. There are other options "housings and harnesses", but limited bulb life comes with the territory. Good luck lots of opinions out there, do a search here, but pop some no doze first.......................:thumb:

Austin_FL 07-08-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepbluerubi (Post 3939032)

If you are in Florida I would consider LED's like truck lites or speaker 8700's , if you live anywhere you might encounter any kind of icing then the only hids I would use are Susquehanna motor sports and they would set you back $1500. DOT compliant though. I'm pretty happy with a $30 upgrade bulb Phillips extreme 80's. They don't last as long as stock but bang for buck I'm ok with it. There are other options "housings and harnesses", but limited bulb life comes with the territory. Good luck lots of opinions out there, do a search here, but pop some no doze first.......................:thumb:

Thanks for the info. I was researching some sylvanias at autozone but no one there knows how to install or if I need a ballast, any info on this?

StarBrite 07-08-2013 03:39 PM

Detailed review on headlights. Little long, but a TON of information.

JKOwners.com - The community for Jeep JK Owners

Hope this helps! :)

landi jeep 07-08-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_FL (Post 3939079)
Thanks for the info. I was researching some sylvanias at autozone but no one there knows how to install or if I need a ballast, any info on this?

installing a ballast is a piece of cake, look up youtube videos. they have setp by step instructions.

However, I HIGHLY recommend against this without one of two things:

1. Projector headlights
2. Retrofit

Otherwise, your light beam is scattered and causing oncoming traffic a lot of misery. There is also a sticky regarding lighting options for JK. Look at the top of this forum :thumb:

Austin_FL 07-08-2013 06:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. Curious if you guys know of any sites to order from? LED or HID retailers

Jensen66 07-08-2013 07:11 PM

I am afraid to read that link. Switching to hid's was my first upgrade and I have loved them, would hate to find out it was a mistake :-) Very bright and white clean light.

Austin_FL 07-08-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensen66 (Post 3939826)
I am afraid to read that link. Switching to hid's was my first upgrade and I have loved them, would hate to find out it was a mistake :-) Very bright and white clean light.

Where did you order from?

Cdwright 07-08-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_FL (Post 3939579)
Thanks for the replies. Curious if you guys know of any sites to order from? LED or HID retailers

Rallylights.com has the legal hids for a jeep.

Jensen66 07-08-2013 08:26 PM

I actually had he guys at fortec install them for me. Can order from them and do it yourself too. I also had them put some led off road lights on at same time. Only problem after that was the fog lights looked really bad so had to change those bulbs out to white led. Never quite done...

But headlights are extremely important so I would keep them on top of list.

NFRs2000NYC 07-08-2013 08:32 PM

I have the HID Projector headlights and they are by far the best and most useful mod that I have done. Worth every cent and can be customized 200 million different ways.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7297/8...5e3a1cba_b.jpg

Austin_FL 07-08-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3940215)
I have the HID Projector headlights and they are by far the best and most useful mod that I have done. Worth every cent and can be customized 200 million different ways.

So you spent $450 on lights?

NFRs2000NYC 07-08-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_FL (Post 3940404)
So you spent $450 on lights?

Absolutely. I spent a lot more d!cking around buying cheaper crap that didn't work (IPF lights, HID kits, whatever.) Finally got tired and got a quality setup.

Austin_FL 07-08-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3940458)

Absolutely. I spent a lot more d!cking around buying cheaper crap that didn't work (IPF lights, HID kits, whatever.) Finally got tired and got a quality setup.

Where did you order from?

LMT Rubi 07-08-2013 09:56 PM

google JW Speaker LED lights and don't look back :punk:

Austin_FL 07-08-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMT Rubi (Post 3940599)
google JW Speaker LED lights and don't look back :punk:

Do I just need the light and is it universal? Does it use stock housing?

StarBrite 07-08-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_FL (Post 3940616)
Do I just need the light and is it universal? Does it use stock housing?

Just FYI...

Those headlights are about $750 from Quadratec. :eek:

NFRs2000NYC 07-08-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_FL (Post 3940571)
Where did you order from?

2012 HID Projectors

Look at the customer gallery and you'll see some of the millions of options. Mine are in there, but they are hard to see because it's a dark photo. I have black shrouds and black housings (satin black.)

NFRs2000NYC 07-08-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMT Rubi (Post 3940599)
google JW Speaker LED lights and don't look back :punk:

Meh, they are twice the price, require cutting to fit, and still don't put out nearly the quality of light as HIDs in projector housings. There is a reason why manufacturers that have OEM LED headlights use at least 4 projectors to get a quality spread. One LED in one projector isn't going to do it.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

joeg679 07-09-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3940903)
Meh, they are twice the price, require cutting to fit, and still don't put out nearly the quality of light as HIDs in projector housings. There is a reason why manufacturers that have OEM LED headlights use at least 4 projectors to get a quality spread. One LED in one projector isn't going to do it.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Do you have any night shots? I'd rather spend 450 than 800 on JW and it seems like the JW's still have the flicker problem. Any flicker problem with yours?

foxsat71 07-09-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3940215)
I have the HID Projector headlights and they are by far the best and most useful mod that I have done. Worth every cent and can be customized 200 million different ways.

That is an awesome picture(2 thumbs up). Did u plasti dip your grill?

joeg679 07-09-2013 10:17 AM

I just went to the site and sent an email to the guy who makes the lights. Any reason why you chose HID over LED?

NFRs2000NYC 07-09-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxsat71 (Post 3942175)
That is an awesome picture(2 thumbs up). Did u plasti dip your grill?

Indeed I did. Been almost 2 years and it still looks brand new.

NFRs2000NYC 07-09-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg679 (Post 3942181)
I just went to the site and sent an email to the guy who makes the lights. Any reason why you chose HID over LED?

Yes. The technology for consumer LED headlights isnt there yet. A true aftermarket LED headlight (that rivaled an OEM HID headlight) would cost $2000. The stuff currently available on the market is still subpar to HID light. Park my Jeep next to JWs or TL and the difference if apparent very quickly. LED headlights are extremely expensive to produce, to get right, and require a lot of engineering and optics (which is why they are only available on higher end cars.) A quality projector with an HID bulb behind it is still the king.


Another bonus with an HID system you can replace the bulb or ballast when/if they go, and in today's market that can be done for $10. With LED headlights, if an LED burns out, the headlight is toast....not something you want to see on a $450 headlight (JWs) or a $200 headlight (TLs.)

NFRs2000NYC 07-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg679 (Post 3942148)
Do you have any night shots? I'd rather spend 450 than 800 on JW and it seems like the JW's still have the flicker problem. Any flicker problem with yours?

No, no flicker problem with mine. Let me see if I can dig up some photos.

foxsat71 07-09-2013 10:39 AM

I need to black out my grill as well. How or what did you do to the grill to prep it? Plasti-dip?????? It's an aerosol can correct?

kbaum03 07-09-2013 10:43 AM

Just installed truck-lite LED's that I was given for fathers day. I believe they purchased from Quadratec on sale. I like them so far but according to the posts I read I won't here in Wyoming in the winter, oh well its only winter here 9 months out of the year.

NFRs2000NYC 07-09-2013 10:43 AM

Ok, here is one I found from my Moab trip. This isn't a great representation, but it can give you the idea. Ignore the yellow light right next to the jeep, those are the fogs.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps9d419f60.jpg

Look how even the light is spread. Also, although this pic doesn't show it, but generally they illuminate 4-5 lanes and the shoulders. The iphone drops the exposure to compensate but they are actually brighter in person.

NFRs2000NYC 07-09-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxsat71 (Post 3942239)
I need to black out my grill as well. How or what did you do to the grill to prep it? Plasti-dip?????? It's an aerosol can correct?

Just clean it, wipe it down with alcohol and throw on 4-5 coats.

joeg679 07-09-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3942237)
No, no flicker problem with mine. Let me see if I can dig up some photos.


Nice. Thanks for the info!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.