Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   5000 pound winch on my 2005 tj (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/5000-pound-winch-on-my-2005-tj-254411.html)

Gunman97 07-08-2013 03:36 PM

5000 pound winch on my 2005 tj

1 Attachment(s)
I just got my winch from harbor frieght and mounted it to my jeep with a winch plate my uncle helped me make. I know it's only a 5000 pound winch but if I got stuck really bad could I double the line back and get 10,000 pounds out of it? I will appreciate any info on this.

Attachment 270378

Jerry Bransford 07-08-2013 03:46 PM

It's a little too late to give advice that a 5k lb. capacity winch would be too small for a Jeep. The usual winch capacity recommendation for a Wrangler is between 8k and 9.5k lbs. One problem with smaller/undersize winches is they require a LOT more current from the battery/electrical system than a more appropriate weight capacity.

Gunman97 07-08-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3939139)
It's a little too late to give advice that a 5k lb. capacity winch would be too small for a Jeep. The usual winch capacity recommendation for a Wrangler is between 8k and 9.5k lbs. One problem with smaller/undersize winches is they require a LOT more current from the battery/electrical system than a more appropriate weight capacity.

Wouldn't it do the same thing if you doubled the cable tho? I'm only 16 years old and don't have alot of money for the bigger winch so that's why I went with this one

jquinn83 07-08-2013 03:58 PM

I bought jack stands, a floor jack, torque wrenches, impact wrench and a drill/driver from Harbor Freight, but I would never buy one of those wenches even though they are inexpensive. Winches aren't something you want to go cheap on, they can be dangerous when things break.

brs256 07-08-2013 04:04 PM

harbor freight winches are actually fairly good, they won a winch shoot out in one of the offroad magazines. but a 5k isn't big enough for a jeep ... a jeep should have no smaller than a 8k... ive seen several tow trucks locally with "Chicago electric" winches (harbor freight) if its good enough for a tow truck than its good enough for me, I have a quadratec winch

brs256 07-08-2013 04:05 PM

cant spell WINCH yet condemns "wench"

Jerry Bransford 07-08-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman97 (Post 3939176)
Wouldn't it do the same thing if you doubled the cable tho? I'm only 16 years old and don't have alot of money for the bigger winch so that's why I went with this one

Well, yes a snatch block will double its pulling capacity but if you start using that winch a lot, you'll start wishing for a heavier capacity model before too long. But if you bought that on your own at 16, well that's pretty darned good. Just start saving your $$$ for a higher capacity model winch later down the road. :thumb: :)

brs256 07-08-2013 04:07 PM

edited because jerry types faster ;P

i'd like to add that you need to remember that when you are doubling back the rope you are also cutting the distance your anchor can be away from your vehicle in half

I suppose a small winch is better than no winch, also when you need this winch you may want to think a little more about digging out any obstruction in front of the stuck jeep in order make it easier on the winch

NJO 07-08-2013 04:51 PM

If you bought it at harbor freight, just swap it out for a larger capacity unit. You have time to do so.

RnEmOvr 07-08-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jquinn83 (Post 3939178)
I bought jack stands, a floor jack, torque wrenches, impact wrench and a drill/driver from Harbor Freight, but I would never buy one of those wenches even though they are inexpensive. Winches aren't something you want to go cheap on, they can be dangerous when things break.

I ran the HF 8k for years and only had it break one time. I pet the cable spool to much in the center and it snapped the cross bars where it meets the housing. Was 100% my fault. I took it back under warranty and they replaced it no questions asked. The big names wouldn't have done that.

Dextreme 07-08-2013 05:22 PM

My TJ came with a M6000 and it works fine for what I have needed to winch for (stuck in snow, sand, etc) but if I were into mud holes I would need something stronger...deep soupy mud is heavy and acts like a suction cup from hell. I also don't winch up rock walls.

nick50471 07-08-2013 05:33 PM

When you are ready to move up PM me and I'll show you how you can build a Warn 8274 for less than $800. It's no secret, just most people would rather buy a new China made winch than rebuild a 30 year old Warn winch.

Gunman97 07-08-2013 05:43 PM

Thank you all for the advice :) I don't plan on doin any super mudding but ill more than likely get stuck at some point. So I figured I needed at least a little winch to help out. And when I go back to work hay bailing ill put some money back for a new winch when this one takes a shit. Once again thanks y'all!!

Gunman97 07-08-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3939208)
Well, yes a snatch block will double its pulling capacity but if you start using that winch a lot, you'll start wishing for a heavier capacity model before too long. But if you bought that on your own at 16, well that's pretty darned good. Just start saving your $$$ for a higher capacity model winch later down the road. :thumb: :)

Thank you! I work pretty hard for the stuff I put on my jeep. It was totally stock until I got ahold of it. Let the transformation begin :p

nick50471 07-08-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman97 (Post 3939523)
Thank you all for the advice :) I don't plan on doin any super mudding but ill more than likely get stuck at some point. So I figured I needed at least a little winch to help out. And when I go back to work hay bailing ill put some money back for a new winch when this one takes a shit. Once again thanks y'all!!

Round I hope. I hated stacking the square bails on the hayrack. Then having to stack them again in the barn.:nonono:

Gunman97 07-08-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 3939559)

Round I hope. I hated stacking the square bails on the hayrack. Then having to stack them again in the barn.:nonono:

Nope all square bails and if I'm lucky they won't be wet. Everytime I end up bailing I work at least a 12 hour day and put up around 1,000 bails. Thanks god I'm on the wagon most of the time :)

Gunman97 07-08-2013 06:21 PM

One more question does anyone know how much a tj actually weighs? Or a close estimate?

travis_rt 07-08-2013 06:25 PM

I believe the sticker inside the door jam reads about 3750 LBS if im not mistaken

Gunman97 07-08-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travis_rt (Post 3939653)
I believe the sticker inside the door jam reads about 3750 LBS if im not mistaken

Oh thank you I didn't know that was there

RnEmOvr 07-08-2013 07:59 PM

My jeep weighed 4006 pounds in this picture, at the time it had a 4cyl, 5spd 30/35 combo, those are 33s. When I weighed it, it had no doors or top, 1/4 tank of gas, no tools, me and a passenger.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...jeep/007-1.jpg

Gunman97 07-09-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnEmOvr (Post 3940048)
My jeep weighed 4006 pounds in this picture, at the time it had a 4cyl, 5spd 30/35 combo, those are 33s. When I weighed it, it had no doors or top, 1/4 tank of gas, no tools, me and a passenger.

Thanks for the info! And very nice lookin jeep :)

NJO 07-09-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman97 (Post 3939636)
One more question does anyone know how much a tj actually weighs? Or a close estimate?

Remember....your winch can pull about 5k on the last row of line.......the first row(right when u pull it out)will have significantly less pulling torque.....that winch might not get you out of all situations.......

Gunman97 07-09-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3943995)

Remember....your winch can pull about 5k on the last row of line.......the first row(right when u pull it out)will have significantly less pulling torque.....that winch might not get you out of all situations.......

I don't understand why it would be more on the last row of line but I heard about that before and didn't know if it was true. I hope it will work for the small stuff tho

eddieb1965 07-09-2013 07:52 PM

If you bought that winch new it will have a manual that will tell you the greatest pulling power is at the bottom of the drum and will significantly drop as more cable is added. Read the manual carefully,there are some useful tips.If you are snatch blocking,you are going to have more cable out ,moreso than a single line pull.There are some pretty good quality winches out there for around 300.00 that would be more in range than the 5000 lb. winch you have.

Gunman97 07-09-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddieb1965 (Post 3944074)
If you bought that winch new it will have a manual that will tell you the greatest pulling power is at the bottom of the drum and will significantly drop as more cable is added. Read the manual carefully,there are some useful tips.If you are snatch blocking,you are going to have more cable out ,moreso than a single line pull.There are some pretty good quality winches out there for around 300.00 that would be more in range than the 5000 lb. winch you have.

My winch was 199.99. Ill just have to spool it out a ways and snatch block it. Maybe that will work a little better

Jerry Bransford 07-09-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman97 (Post 3944019)
I don't understand why it would be more on the last row of line but I heard about that before and didn't know if it was true.

Yes that is true. Think about using a lever against something & how much more force you can apply the longer the lever is.

The radius (length of the lever) between the center of the winch drum & the top outer-most layer of winch rope is longer than is the radius (length of the lever) is between the center of the winch drum & first (inner-most) layer of rope. So a load pulling on the winch's hook has more leverage (a longer lever) against the winch & its motor when it is pulling on the top outer-most layer than it does when it is pulling on the bottom inner-most layer.

Kind of like it is easier to accelerate your Jeep when in 1st gear than in 5th gear. The winch will pull an unloaded rope with more speed when the winch rope is being pulled from the top layer, but it will have more power when it is pulling the rope from right next to the drum, its inner-most layer when the load it is pulling has the least amount of lever length available to it to work against the winch motor. :)

NJO 07-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman97 (Post 3944110)
My winch was 199.99. Ill just have to spool it out a ways and snatch block it. Maybe that will work a little better

No way to swap out to even a true vehicle winch for like $70 more? This ones on sale, that extra 1000lb capacity would serve you well IMO: Off-Road Vehicle Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

Gunman97 07-10-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3944389)
Yes that is true. Think about using a lever against something & how much more force you can apply the longer the lever is.

The radius (length of the lever) between the center of the winch drum & the top outer-most layer of winch rope is longer than is the radius (length of the lever) is between the center of the winch drum & first (inner-most) layer of rope. So a load pulling on the winch's hook has more leverage (a longer lever) against the winch & its motor when it is pulling on the top outer-most layer than it does when it is pulling on the bottom inner-most layer.

Kind of like it is easier to accelerate your Jeep when in 1st gear than in 5th gear. The winch will pull an unloaded rope with more speed when the winch rope is being pulled from the top layer, but it will have more power when it is pulling the rope from right next to the drum, its inner-most layer when the load it is pulling has the least amount of lever length available to it to work against the winch motor. :)

That makes sense to me lol.

Gunman97 07-10-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3946472)
No way to swap out to even a true vehicle winch for like $70 more? This ones on sale, that extra 1000lb capacity would serve you well IMO: Off-Road Vehicle Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

When I went to the store it was 300 and I found out it went on sale a few weeks after that

NJO 07-10-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunman97 (Post 3947624)
When I went to the store it was 300 and I found out it went on sale a few weeks after that

Harbor Freight return policy:

RETURN POLICY
If for any reason you are not satisfied with any item purchased, you may return the product within 90 days for a full refund or replacement, whichever you prefer. Shipping and handling are non-refundable.