Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   So what did a bend/break on my new Rubi (pics) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-what-did-a-bend-break-on-my-new-rubi-pics-254635.html)

1quick1 07-09-2013 04:19 PM

So what did a bend/break on my new Rubi (pics)
 
I did a trail I've done at least 30x on Sunday and didn't take the greatest line over a certain rock and did some scraping on the front passenger side. It really isn't that bad the trail is a 2 out of 10 on traildamage.com

So here's how I noticed an issue. You know how when you turn around a corner you can sort of let the wheel go a little and it'll straighten up on it's own? Well turning right it doesn't want to own it's own. It doesn't have a lot of resistance but if I put it full passenger and let go it would just do circles. Turning left is fine.

This pic is the passenger side with the wheel full passenger.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_140225.jpg

This pic is the driver wheel turned full driver.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_140253.jpg

1quick1 07-09-2013 04:23 PM

Also the allignment is perfect and turning left right is perfectly fine so power steering feels fine. It's just when turning right it sort of wants to stay turned and it takes a little pull to straigten it out.

1quick1 07-09-2013 04:28 PM

Talking to my bro who works at TAC (Toledo Assemply Complex) he said I could have screwed my steering stabilizer up as well as I definitely dented the plastic shroud that goes around it.

nwbronco 07-09-2013 04:28 PM

Tie rod looks a bit too close on the passenger side knuckle. Turn the wheels straight and check the clearances of the tie rod on both sides.

Also, if the steering stabilizer has been moved, it may be binding.

Bob K.

1quick1 07-09-2013 04:35 PM

Looks like I nailed the steering stabilizer? I think this is the issue. It's bent slightly and has a small fluid leak. You can see the fluid on the plastic shrouding and the metal bar exposed there looks like it has a slight bend and there's a rock mark there so I clearly banged it.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_143207.jpg

YJ Bill 07-09-2013 11:21 PM

This could be the problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1quick1 (Post 3943169)
Looks like I nailed the steering stabilizer? I think this is the issue. It's bent slightly and has a small fluid leak. You can see the fluid on the plastic shrouding and the metal bar exposed there looks like it has a slight bend and there's a rock mark there so I clearly banged it.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_143207.jpg


Metonymy 07-10-2013 01:07 AM

The SS being trashed will definitely change how your steering feels. Time to upgrade!

Tweak 07-10-2013 02:26 AM

remove the SS and see how it feels.

Magichelmt 07-10-2013 06:57 AM

I did the same thing. You can get a relocation kit with a new one pretty reasonably.

Rooster76 07-10-2013 11:58 AM

The steering stabilizer looks to be toast. That shouldn't be the issue though. Some guys that wheel hard take them off permanently.

It looks like your C on the passenger axle may be bent open some. They make weld on reinforcement brackets for the Cs which has me thinking to look at it.
http://rileyid.com/randy/JK/Labled_U...age_Labled.jpg

Tweak 07-10-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster76 (Post 3946321)
The steering stabilizer looks to be toast. That shouldn't be the issue though. Some guys that wheel hard take them off permanently.

It looks like your C on the passenger axle may be bent open some. They make weld on reinforcement brackets for the Cs which has me thinking to look at it.

how could that not be the issue? at least let him figure out if its a $65 part first!

Rooster76 07-10-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3946483)

how could that not be the issue? at least let him figure out if its a $65 part first!

Good point. I was thinking if it was damaged it would just be limp like it wasn't there. I suppose if something was bent it could restrict movement.

Welding Rod 07-10-2013 03:21 PM

The SS shaft is likely bent.

1quick1 07-10-2013 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. I'm going to start with the SS and go from there as it's definitely bent upward a little bit.

Found this one on Craigslist I'm going to call about.
OME Steering Stabilizer Jeep jk

Quote:

It looks like your C on the passenger axle may be bent open some. They make weld on reinforcement brackets for the Cs which has me thinking to look at it.
That was the first thing I noticed and was worried about. Oddly enough there isn't any rock marks or anything on it indicating I banged it unlike the SS which is clearly annihilated. I hope it's just the SS.

Tweak 07-10-2013 09:08 PM

go to 4 wheel parts and grab a rubicon express stabilizer for $65, it comes with a relocation bracket and will keep this from happening again.

you know you can take it off and drive around to see if thats the problem right? I drove dallas-houston-dallas without one. lots of people dont even use them at all. on a properly setup JK you wouldnt be able to tell the difference if you had one or not.

1quick1 07-11-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3948260)
go to 4 wheel parts and grab a rubicon express stabilizer for $65, it comes with a relocation bracket and will keep this from happening again.

you know you can take it off and drive around to see if thats the problem right? I drove dallas-houston-dallas without one. lots of people dont even use them at all. on a properly setup JK you wouldnt be able to tell the difference if you had one or not.

I was under the impression I could run into death wobble without it? Sounds like you've put some miles on it though so I'll do that. I'll yank it as soon as I get a chance. I'll get that aftermarket one as I can see this repeating itself with the stock location.

Tweak 07-11-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1quick1 (Post 3950052)
I was under the impression I could run into death wobble without it? Sounds like you've put some miles on it though so I'll do that. I'll yank it as soon as I get a chance. I'll get that aftermarket one as I can see this repeating itself with the stock location.

nope, the #1 misconception about deathwobble is that a stabilizer has anything to do with it. if you pull the SS and have deathwobble it was only masked by the SS and you should find the root cause of it.

too bad you arent near me, I backordered a new one MONTHS ago and forgot about it and it randomly shows up at my door with no warning.... not like I need it now!

1quick1 07-12-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweak (Post 3951975)
nope, the #1 misconception about deathwobble is that a stabilizer has anything to do with it. if you pull the SS and have deathwobble it was only masked by the SS and you should find the root cause of it.

too bad you arent near me, I backordered a new one MONTHS ago and forgot about it and it randomly shows up at my door with no warning.... not like I need it now!

Bummer. I would have gladly took it off your hands.

I'm going to pull the SS tomorrow morning and hopefully that'll show if it's the root cause.

flyboy3107 07-12-2013 12:10 PM

Stabilizer
 
I have a stock one laying around off of my 2009 JK. 30.00 shipped to you.

kjeeper10 07-12-2013 12:28 PM

Yep.. I've see them bind and cause bad handling.
You can run fine without one.

1quick1 07-12-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyboy3107 (Post 3954447)
I have a stock one laying around off of my 2009 JK. 30.00 shipped to you.

I'm going to yank it off tomorrow and if that's the issue you have yourself a deal. I'll PM you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3954499)
Yep.. I've see them bind and cause bad handling.
You can run fine without one.

They put them in such an easy place to get hit. It's definitely bent a little so I'm hoping this is the issue. It goes in the trash tomorrow so we'll find out.

1quick1 07-13-2013 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled it off. Was definitely the issue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.