Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Factory sub replacement (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/factory-sub-replacement-254865.html)

Big Sarge 07-10-2013 02:33 PM

Factory sub replacement
 
OK I recently got my hands on an 05 console and installed in my 98. Got everything wired up and it all works but the sub is blown. I have read so many threads on here but can't for life of me determine for 100% sure that the sub is 1 ohm dual voice coil. The kicker sub that most recommend (the CVT 651) is not a dual voice coil (DVC). Does that make a difference?? Crutchfield has one that is 1 ohm DVC for just a little more. like $120 I think.

UnlimitedRubicon 07-10-2013 02:54 PM

I didn't fuss over single/dual voice coil or 1, 2, 4 ohm. I used the Kicker 10CVT652 (~$80). It fills out the sound nicely (all other components are OEM) but it's not going to boooooooooooom.

Big Sarge 07-10-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 3947067)
I didn't fuss over single/dual voice coil or 1, 2, 4 ohm. I used the Kicker 10CVT652 (~$80). It fills out the sound nicely (all other components OEM) but it's not going to boooooooooooom.

ok and you just run it with the factory amp?

UnlimitedRubicon 07-10-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3947076)
ok and you just run it with the factory amp?

Yup. I just removed a little of the plastic ribbing behind the sub (inside the box) so the Kicker would sit flat, drilled new mounting holes as they don't line up with the OEM sub, stuffed some polyfill in the box, plugged everything back together and bolted it down. It's very easy. Here's a link to a forum write up: Replacing a blown TJ subwoofer speaker

space_monkey 07-10-2013 03:22 PM

I like music a lot and went back and forth on whether or not i should get the kicker or the pyramid speaker. The pyramid is 15 bucks on amazon and it sounds just fine. Good bump, fills in the mids nicely.

I stuffed the enclosure with polyfill which i believe helps out slightly (I tried it with and without the fill). Just save your money and get the pyramid.

Amazon.com: Pyramid WX65X 6.5-Inch High Power White Injected P.P. Cone Woofer: Car Electronics

ChiliPep99 07-10-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3946990)
OK I recently got my hands on an 05 console and installed in my 98. Got everything wired up and it all works but the sub is blown. I have read so many threads on here but can't for life of me determine for 100% sure that the sub is 1 ohm dual voice coil. The kicker sub that most recommend (the CVT 651) is not a dual voice coil (DVC). Does that make a difference?? Crutchfield has one that is 1 ohm DVC for just a little more. like $120 I think.

Did you have to modify anything to fit your 98?

speedyrev 07-10-2013 03:44 PM

This is what I used. Great quality Pyle 6.5" 600w 4ohm DVC.
You do have to massage the interior of the console to fit the magnet.

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0071HY42K

Big Sarge 07-10-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliPep99 (Post 3947236)

Did you have to modify anything to fit your 98?

Only had to cut a small piece off the 05 console where the shift boot bezel snaps in to fit my bezel. That was it.

ChiliPep99 07-10-2013 03:48 PM

That's good to hear, time to find me one.

LBIHUI 07-10-2013 03:59 PM

I have a 2000 TJ sahara. I replaced the stock speakers in the soundbar and dash but no sub. Any suggestions on a powered sub that may fit under seat or in a nice enclosure??

UnlimitedRubicon 07-10-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_monkey (Post 3947158)
Just save your money and get the pyramid.

I read too many posts of that speaker being garbage. It's a $15 speaker for a reason.

Big Sarge 07-10-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 3947321)

I read too many posts of that speaker being garbage. It's a $15 speaker for a reason.

I value everyone's opinion and appreciate input. That said.... I agree, you get what you pay for. I'm going for the kicker.

Big Sarge 07-11-2013 10:14 AM

Well I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Kicker sub.

Kicker 40CWRT671 CompRT shallow-mount 6-3/4" subwoofer with dual 1-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

This one is actually a DVC 1 ohm speaker. It also has a 2 3/4" mounting depth as opposed to the 2 7/8 of the CVT 651. So I may not even have to cut any of the fins inside the enclosure.

Tyler 07-11-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3946990)
OK I recently got my hands on an 05 console and installed in my 98. Got everything wired up and it all works but the sub is blown. I have read so many threads on here but can't for life of me determine for 100% sure that the sub is 1 ohm dual voice coil. The kicker sub that most recommend (the CVT 651) is not a dual voice coil (DVC). Does that make a difference?? Crutchfield has one that is 1 ohm DVC for just a little more. like $120 I think.


I have the Crutchfield sub and it is amazing, 8/10 would recommend.

jeepndon 07-11-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedRubicon (Post 3947067)
I didn't fuss over single/dual voice coil or 1, 2, 4 ohm. I used the Kicker 10CVT652 (~$80). It fills out the sound nicely (all other components are OEM) but it's not going to boooooooooooom.

My 10CVT652 kicker goes boom hooked up a 125W kicker amp made a world of diferance.

Neil F. 07-11-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBIHUI (Post 3947302)
I have a 2000 TJ sahara. I replaced the stock speakers in the soundbar and dash but no sub. Any suggestions on a powered sub that may fit under seat or in a nice enclosure??

There are a number of compact powered subs out there that can fit under a seat (front or back) I have a Kenwood SW10 in the TJ under the rear seat bolted to the floor and a Sound Ordinance in my Mustang. Both with the same head unit. I like the Bass much better from the Sound Ordinance B-8PT. I've had the SW10 (and previously a SW1) in the TJ for 5 years and liked it but I just got the Sound Ordinance and again, think it is better. Note I originally had the SW1 under my drivers seat but after a week or two of thumping on my ass, it went under the rear seat. Just FYI if you are thinking on putting it up front. The only thing I did not like about the B-8PT is that there is no mounting hardware (The SW10 has brackets that attach to the enclosure) For the SO there is a single bolt in the bottom that looks like it screws into the back of the woofer. I got a longer bolt. In my Mustang, it is mounted to an interior trim panel in the hatch so I went through the back of the trim to mount the enclosure.

Note I also have the stock sub enclosure. The PO had some half ass speaker sitting loose in the enclosure. I modified the enclosure and have a 7" sub from a Bazooka bass tube.

Big Sarge 07-11-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBIHUI (Post 3947302)
I have a 2000 TJ sahara. I replaced the stock speakers in the soundbar and dash but no sub. Any suggestions on a powered sub that may fit under seat or in a nice enclosure??

I would try to get one of the factory consoles with the sub and upgrade to that. I got my console with the amp and blown sub in it for $50 (a really good deal) then I made sure everything worked and built the wiring harness for it with stuff I had laying around. Today I sold and shipped my stock 98 console for $100 (so $70 after shipping) spent $120 on the sub today, so all in all I have $100 in a newer console that has a sub and also the rear cup holders. I didn't want a sub sitting around inside somewhere. I try to use as much factory stuff as possible on the interior as possible, with the exception of the camo stuff that I have added.

UnlimitedRubicon 07-11-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3950221)
Well I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Kicker sub. This one is actually a DVC 1 ohm speaker. It also has a 2 3/4" mounting depth as opposed to the 2 7/8 of the CVT 651. So I may not even have to cut any of the fins inside the enclosure.


Let us know how it performs. :thumb:



Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepndon (Post 3950613)
My 10CVT652 kicker goes boom hooked up a 125W kicker amp made a world of diferance.


No doubt. I was referring to an OEM amp setup which as you probably know is fairly anemic. I'll eventually get an aftermarket amp for it.

Big Sarge 07-11-2013 03:05 PM

[QUOTENo doubt. I was referring to an OEM amp setup which as you probably know is fairly anemic. I'll eventually get an aftermarket amp for it.[/QUOTE]

I have a MTX road thunder amp if you want it let me know. I will be more than happy with just a little bit from the factory amp.

BigCrave 07-11-2013 10:19 PM

The OEM sub is a 2ohm Dual voice coil sub. It's actually a 6.75" and not a 6.5" but most 6.5"s work. I replaced mine with a Bose 6.5" 2ohm Dual voice coil that I purchased on Ebay from SpeakerGeek. I've had it used it for about 4 months now with no issues and it sounds very good. If your staying with the OEM amplifier, you definitely want to stay with a 2ohm DVC sub, otherwise you'll be cutting the sub output by half with a 4ohm DVC sub and increasing the resistance on your amp.

Big Sarge 07-12-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCrave (Post 3952875)
The OEM sub is a 2ohm Dual voice coil sub. It's actually a 6.75" and not a 6.5" but most 6.5"s work. I replaced mine with a Bose 6.5" 2ohm Dual voice coil that I purchased on Ebay from SpeakerGeek. I've had it used it for about 4 months now with no issues and it sounds very good. If your staying with the OEM amplifier, you definitely want to stay with a 2ohm DVC sub, otherwise you'll be cutting the sub output by half with a 4ohm DVC sub and increasing the resistance on your amp.

So if I use a 1 ohm dvc will it double the sub output and decrease resistance on the amp?

BigCrave 07-12-2013 08:15 AM

It won't exactly double the output. It will increase it but at the risk of burning up the amp. That amp is designed for 2ohm and is not stable at 1ohm. You could still use that speaker but you will have to wire the voice coils in series to avoid overloading the amp. Wiring the coils in series will allow the amp to run at it designed 2ohms.

Big Sarge 07-12-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCrave (Post 3953879)
It won't exactly double the output. It will increase it but at the risk of burning up the amp. That amp is designed for 2ohm and is not stable at 1ohm. You could still use that speaker but you will have to wire the voice coils in series to avoid overloading the amp. Wiring the coils in series will allow the amp to run at it designed 2ohms.

Thanks for the reply, talked to an old friend of mine this morning and he broke it all down to me and got me taken care of. The sub has already been delivered to my house (less than 24 hours from order). I will be heading home shortly to get it dropped in.

Big Sarge 07-12-2013 12:12 PM

Got it installed wired in series and sounds great. Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks to all who helped. And I hope this may help someone else. To avoid having to wire in series they have that exact same speaker in 2 ohm I just didn't want to ship back and wait for it to come.

BigCrave 07-12-2013 12:23 PM

Glad it worked out. If done correctly these small subs can really put out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.