Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   what would you choose.. a stock JK or modified yj? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/what-would-you-choose-a-stock-jk-or-modified-yj-254920.html)

Fernandof 07-10-2013 06:42 PM

what would you choose.. a stock JK or modified yj?

And why? After my accident I'm having a hard time making up my mind.. If I drop 20+k on a JK I def will not be able to modify it...

LilYeller 07-10-2013 06:46 PM

why would you go so far back to a yj? anything against a TJ? I would rather have a stock Jeep to start with then build it how you want it, so you know everything is done right. Sure its more expensive that way but its also more fun.

JenyGirl 07-10-2013 06:46 PM

Modified!! Just my preference

harleydragon 07-10-2013 06:48 PM

I don't like the newer jeeps so I would go for a jy or even better yet a cj7 or 8

Fernandof 07-10-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenyGirl (Post 3947909)
Modified!! Just my preference

Says the girl with the JK lol

Fernandof 07-10-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilYeller (Post 3947907)
why would you go so far back to a yj? anything against a TJ? I would rather have a stock Jeep to start with then build it how you want it, so you know everything is done right. Sure its more expensive that way but its also more fun.

A nice tj rubi is right around ,14 to 16 so why not just jump to the jk?

ddferdt 07-10-2013 07:05 PM

Drove a jk the other day, horrible. Stick to tj and older. Seriously. My yj was pissed at me after that too.

Fernandof 07-10-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddferdt (Post 3947976)
Drove a jk the other day, horrible. Stick to tj and older. Seriously. My yj was pissed at me after that too.

What was so bad about it?

ddferdt 07-10-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernandof (Post 3947979)

What was so bad about it?

For my preference it was too new, I don't like new cars. It was automatic. I would press the accelerator and it would go nowhere. I didn't like the ride either, too bouncy. Felt like I was driving a convertible minivan.

harleydragon 07-10-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddferdt (Post 3948012)
For my preference it was too new, I don't like new cars. It was automatic. I would press the accelerator and it would go nowhere. I didn't like the ride either, too bouncy. Felt like I was driving a convertible minivan.

convertible minivan...x2

YJ fanatic 07-10-2013 07:33 PM

They feel more like a car than a jeep. Especially the JKU's. Like an extreme minivan to me.

I guess they just don't rattle enough to seem like real Jeeps. :rofl:

Flyfisher76 07-10-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ fanatic (Post 3948094)
They feel more like a car than a jeep. Especially the JKU's. Like an extreme minivan to me.

Seems to be the case for the anti-JK crowd....

Anyways, if this isn't a daily driver (which i think it is) then go YJ or TJ and modify. If you are driving it every day go with the JK and modify as you can.

I had a YJ that was pretty well modified and if i had to choose between that or my 2012 JKU for a DD.......it's not even a comparison, JKU in heartbeat.

CarolinaBound 07-10-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ fanatic (Post 3948094)

If I don't have a dash squeak I assume something's wrong.

Scally_cap 07-10-2013 07:41 PM

My wife has a JK and its a nice flashy ride but I don't trust it. Jeep went back to the drawing board to fix something that's wasn't broke. I've had a cj7, a yj and now a TJ and they were all DDs and crawlers and they the most reliable and easy to work on rigs I've ever had, and I've had a lot of 4x4s (ford, Chevy, Toyota, dodge)... Go with the YJ. JKs are still really nice but you'll be happy with an old leafy YJ that's been loved

jokerchief462 07-10-2013 08:00 PM

TJ says the old man with a YJ!!! Each model brings its own drawbacks and yes the older ones bring some challenges. However the TJ is coil springs and a smoother ride, just old enough not to be too expensive to buy and you can modify it forever.

As long as its a JEEP your in there.

JenyGirl 07-10-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernandof (Post 3947960)

Says the girl with the JK lol

Umm... And your "point"? I love assumptions

YJ fanatic 07-10-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyfisher76 (Post 3948108)
Seems to be the case for the anti-JK crowd....

Anyways, if this isn't a daily driver (which i think it is) then go YJ or TJ and modify. If you are driving it every day go with the JK and modify as you can.

I had a YJ that was pretty well modified and if i had to choose between that or my 2012 JKU for a DD.......it's not even a comparison, JKU in heartbeat.

I'm not anti-JK by any means. They just aren't my favorite. I don't like the rounded looks, like the grille and hood. The interior is too luxurious for me, too. If I was getting a straight DD, I'd really consider a 2 door. But if I'm using it as a trail vehicle too, I want simple, with few electronics. It's very easy to get a JK electrical system wet.

So in my opinion, DD=JK, DD+trail=TJ or YJ.

Xpress 07-10-2013 09:37 PM

Stock YJ, modified the way I see fit.

JenyGirl 07-10-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ fanatic (Post 3948567)

I'm not anti-JK by any means. They just aren't my favorite. I don't like the rounded looks, like the grille and hood. The interior is too luxurious for me, too. If I was getting a straight DD, I'd really consider a 2 door. But if I'm using it as a trail vehicle too, I want simple, with few electronics. It's very easy to get a JK electrical system wet.

So in my opinion, DD=JK, DD+trail=TJ or YJ.

I agree. I miss my 91 amd gave it up until jeep could put out "4drs".... ( funny how i wished they would and did)... I stalked every dealer within a 150 mile radius and kept getting, "nope... Not delivered yet".. "Check tomorrow"... This was when they were first being produced.... The short of it is, the 2013 i drove last wk for a loner wS wayyyyyy to fancy and spaced out for me, So I totally know what you are saying, Bur the 07's when they first came out are nothing like they are now.. Very much girly.... But i need 4drs, as in my teens, the 2 dr no longer was jiving for me as i got older

YJ fanatic 07-10-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 3948631)
Stock YJ, modified the way I see fit.

That'd be perfect. I'd love to find another stock YJ in great shape, but its hard in Michigan. All the YJs have some rust around here.

YJ fanatic 07-10-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenyGirl (Post 3948650)
I agree. I miss my 91 amd gave it up until jeep could put out "4drs".... ( funny how i wished they would and did)... I stalked every dealer within a 150 mile radius and kept getting, "nope... Not delivered yet".. "Check tomorrow"... This was when they were first being produced.... The short of it is, the 2013 i drove last wk for a loner wS wayyyyyy to fancy and spaced out for me, So I totally know what you are saying, Bur the 07's when they first came out are nothing like they are now.. Very much girly.... But i need 4drs, as in my teens, the 2 dr no longer was jiving for me as i got older

I'm 18, so I don't need more doors yet. Don't need room for kids, and my college student budget only allows for ramen noodles and stuff like that, so I don't need more grocery room in the little YJ. And I love the stiff leaf springs and all that wind noise! :punk:

JenyGirl 07-10-2013 09:54 PM

Well i'm the "driver" of my crowd And my ass is NOT getting out to let anyone in :-)~

Fernandof 07-10-2013 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In leaning towards 4 doors as well. I have a BMW 328ci as my daily. If I get a yj, I'll keep the BMW. If I get the 4door jk I'll trade it in or sell it... I'm so torn that I'm getting major anxiety, but I just know I have to get another jeep....

Miss you baby, hope our doing OK in jeep heaven ;(

indirocz28 07-11-2013 05:11 AM

I would get a TJ Rubicon...

95YamJam 07-11-2013 06:55 AM

Modded jk. Local guy picked up a pretty built Modded 08 for 18 k. 4 Dr, lift, 35's, braced and gussested front axle, 4.56 gears, bumpers, winch, gen right tube fenders, interior. Bed lined. Etc. Smokin deal imho. I would not want to scratch it though. Lol.

That said, tj rubi would be great too. Alas I want no car payment so yj all the way for me.

Rubi513 07-11-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indirocz28 (Post 3949511)
I would get a TJ Rubicon...

This. But I may be a little bias.:)

Fernandof 07-11-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95YamJam (Post 3949659)
Modded jk. Local guy picked up a pretty built Modded 08 for 18 k. 4 Dr, lift, 35's, braced and gussested front axle, 4.56 gears, bumpers, winch, gen right tube fenders, interior. Bed lined. Etc. Smokin deal imho. I would not want to scratch it though. Lol.

That said, tj rubi would be great too. Alas I want no car payment so yj all the way for me.

Damn that's excellent.. Maybe I should just hold off and wait for a good opportunity then.

95YamJam 07-11-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fernandof (Post 3949808)

Damn that's excellent.. Maybe I should just hold off and wait for a good opportunity then.

Being patient and doing lots of looking is important but the old adage sometimes applies.......If you spend all your time sharpening your axe you'll never get any wood cut.

harleydragon 07-11-2013 08:48 AM

check this sites,jeeps for sale

1987Wrangler YJ 07-11-2013 09:20 AM

stock cj, yj ,and tj over a POS jk any day! they are round, fat, and wide just like girls after highschool