Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Anyone have a soft top that doesnt leak? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anyone-have-a-soft-top-that-doesnt-leak-254952.html)

Martin10 07-10-2013 09:10 PM

Anyone have a soft top that doesnt leak?

Serious question here. Is there such a thing as a soft top that does not leak. My expectation is that they should not. But some posters on this forum have indicated it is part of being a Jeep. I am going to have to take mine back in for the 6th time for leaks. Have had the top replaced twice. Both times it was leaking in a seam. The latest top doesn't leak nearly as much as the first two and does not appear to be leaking at a seam. But there is still water getting in somewhere to the rear of the drivers door. Either something is way off here or they all do it. Just seeking information. Thanks.

pepatrick 07-10-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin10 (Post 3948514)
Serious question here. Is there such a thing as a soft top that does not leak. My expectation is that they should not. But some posters on this forum have indicated it is part of being a Jeep. I am going to have to take mine back in for the 6th time for leaks. Have had the top replaced twice. Both times it was leaking in a seam. The latest top doesn't leak nearly as much as the first two and does not appear to be leaking at a seam. But there is still water getting in somewhere to the rear of the drivers door. Either something is way off here or they all do it. Just seeking information. Thanks.

2013 Sahara 4 door with the premium soft top. It does not leak at all even with the wavy rain we have had in Atlanta.

brighton 07-10-2013 09:20 PM

Had my soft top for 3 years and it hasn't leaked yet and it's been through some pretty heavy Florida rainstorms.

traitor08 07-10-2013 09:21 PM

I have a jk and jku. Only way they leak is when washing arou d rear window when at car wash. Leaking through zipper, but that's obvious.

Trip72 07-10-2013 09:22 PM

My hard top leaks, but not the soft top.

missouri islander 07-10-2013 09:25 PM

I've got both hard and soft top and neither one leaks. (So far)

KP50 07-10-2013 09:32 PM

First new soft top Jeep in a while, last one I bought new was in 1982 and the soft top would let snow, rain and just about anything else in.

This one (2013 JK with premium top) has been through a few heavy downpours and hasnt leaked a drop which has surprised me. After having it and the door frames off a couple times thereare quite a few places it can leak. I would start making sure the door frames are installed right and none of the seals are pinched. That being said I dont look for leaks, when you open the door in the rain quite a bit drips in so there may be a small leak I havent noticed, no puddles or wet carpet though.

Wally_C 07-10-2013 09:33 PM

I’ve just put soft top on my 2012 Unlimited Altitude for the very first time. It was sitting in the garage for a year. Next day we’ve had one of the largest rainfalls in history (I live in Toronto) and the roof is holding very well. I was really pleasantly surprised because my hard top was serviced for leaking twice and I still can occasionally see some water drops right on top of my radio unit.
W.

JSichthus 07-10-2013 09:41 PM

08 2 door....went through a car wash today even...only time the top leaks is when it's off

thomm99 07-10-2013 10:16 PM

I have and use both tops. Neither has ever leaked.

kybluejeep 07-10-2013 10:22 PM

Martin is it a two door or four and what year? I took my 11Unlimited back four times and it leaked worse every time I got it back! I finally tracked the leak down myself and fixed it. The back leak on mine was at the point where the door surround folded I filled the seam with Vaseline and it cured it.

GSDgirl 07-10-2013 10:29 PM

Mine doesn't leak.

MudRunner 07-10-2013 10:38 PM

11 4dr. My soft top has never leaked a drop (knock on wood). Love it! :thumb:

panthermark 07-10-2013 10:41 PM

I have not noticed any leaks in my soft-top. I have a premium top that I traded for.

BleedsGreen 07-10-2013 10:45 PM

I feel like there are a lot of people rubbing it in our faces that their Jeeps don't leak.

Mine does. On a good day it doesn't leak, on a bad day it pours like a faucet onto the passenger side door handle.

It's obnoxious, but I guess it boils down to how much money you really want to throw at it. If you've paid a dealership to fix this issue 6 times over and it's still leaking I would be raising some hell with their service department.

Personally I'm not terribly concerned (mostly because I'm never on the passenger side of my Jeep). Some things you just might have to put up with.

jadmt 07-11-2013 12:03 AM

I have been in torential down pours with 2013 premium soft top and not a drop leaked thru. I have been traveling at interstate speeds for hours in the rain not a drop, it has sat outside in the pouring rain for a solid 48 hours of rain and not a drop. My hard top has not leaked either.

dawhitesJKU 07-11-2013 12:14 AM

I've had my jeep for about a year and no leaks whatsoever.

FIREMEDIC82 07-11-2013 03:04 AM

The soft top on mine doesnt leak, but When I open the door to get in there is a river of water flowing right in my way of getting in. But eh.... whatcha gonna do?

MrSig 07-11-2013 03:08 AM

I have a 2011 Soft top on my 2007 that dose not leak a drop.

michiganadam 07-11-2013 05:43 AM

My header seal leaks a little in supercell storms. Not normally.

Seams should not leak but id try some seam sealer like youd use on a tent on it. Walmart sells it.

Your windows might not be attached right or your doors might need to be adjusted

michiganadam 07-11-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREMEDIC82 (Post 3949443)
The soft top on mine doesnt leak, but When I open the door to get in there is a river of water flowing right in my way of getting in. But eh.... whatcha gonna do?

Thats poor engineering and i get that too.....

KittyPrawn 07-11-2013 06:02 AM

My premium soft top has only leaked if I don't put my top on correctly.

bluehash 07-11-2013 06:06 AM

My premium soft top leaks .. passengers side.

RB-10rubicon 07-11-2013 06:14 AM

my 2010 leaked at back window up top where the snaps are... you could see daylight through the stitcthing .. after three times at the dealer they replaced the whole top. hasent leaked since. check your sticthing i had alot of pin holes

kappaknight 07-11-2013 06:35 AM

2013 Premium top, does not leak. I've even thrown the pressure washer at it pretty closely to wash the mud off.

However, under certain conditions, it will drop water when the door opens. What year is your Jeep/top?

Mattk11 07-11-2013 06:45 AM

I got caught in a torrential downpour with 70 mph wind gusts. I was worried it would suck the soft top right off the Jeep as I was racing home to get out of the rain.

My Off Road Heroes top didn't leak a drop. I was shocked.

dpostman 07-11-2013 06:56 AM

2013 Sahara JKU here. No leaks on Hard top or Premium Soft top. Only had a little dribble of water from the rear zippers when I had to pressure wash the back end pretty good because last Sunday, we drove about 60 miles of bone dry powdery gravel roads, and the soft top and rear window were covered with dust & dirt. Drove through a torrential downpour this morning. not a drop.

dp

RemoJK 07-11-2013 06:57 AM

My 2010 never leaked, The '08 I hve now doesn't seem to leak anywhere either

sr71 07-11-2013 07:03 AM

supertop nx twill is thankfully leak free.

jeepingchester 07-11-2013 07:12 AM

2012 here and no leaks. I have my top up and down often and the only time water has gotten in is when I have washed it and rinsing the back window water sometimes creeps it's way in through the bottom of the rear zippers. I've owned it for over a year now but have only washed it a hand full of times. I DO live in Oregon so it can rain a lot.