Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Installing a Teraflex 2 inch leveling kit. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/installing-a-teraflex-2-inch-leveling-kit-254981.html)

groovebus 07-10-2013 11:05 PM

Installing a Teraflex 2 inch leveling kit.

I have a question about installing the leveling kit. It sounds easy, but I have seen it done 2 different ways. Is it better to do one spring at a time and only taking off the sway bar link, shocks and brake line bracket for one wheel, tighten it all up and then go to the next? Or take off both sets and lower the whole axle and do both springs at the same time?

jadmt 07-11-2013 12:00 AM

most will say to do both at the same time. I did one side at a time and it worked well for me.

kjeeper10 07-11-2013 04:48 AM

Yea, you have to do both at the same time to get the axle dropped down far enough. You may be able to keep one tire on though to provide a pivot point. The rears are a cake walk and will fall right out.
-disco shocks
-disco sway links
-sep brake lines from frame
-sep parking brake lines from tub clip
-disco breather hose
The front is a little harder with the bumpstops especially the passenger side. A large crow bar helps working the coil in/out.
Same procedure. Except there's no parking brake cables,

Good luck :)

jadmt 07-11-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3949497)
Yea, you have to do both at the same time to get the axle dropped down far enough. You may be able to keep one tire on though to provide a pivot point. The rears are a cake walk and will fall right out.
-disco shocks
-disco sway links
-sep brake lines from frame
-sep parking brake lines from tub clip
-disco breather hose
The front is a little harder with the bumpstops especially the passenger side. A large crow bar helps working the coil in/out.
Same procedure. Except there's no parking brake cables,

Good luck :)

I did not have any problem dropping just one side at a time on the front. I used a spring compressor set on the springs when the weight of the jeep was on the springs and then when I dropped one side the spring was not able to rebound and it made it simple.

TeraFlex 07-11-2013 10:30 AM

Remember even with a leveling kit I suggest loosening arm and track bar bolts and re torquing so nothing is preloaded as this will effect your ride.

KP50 07-11-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3949586)
I did not have any problem dropping just one side at a time on the front. I used a spring compressor set on the springs when the weight of the jeep was on the springs and then when I dropped one side the spring was not able to rebound and it made it simple.

+1

Cheap spring compressor finger tight with the suspension loaded one side of the time on the front, being a '13 I was a little paranoid about going too far with the driveshaft.

The rear was way easier but I still used the compressor, all I removed was the brake lines and wheel sensor wire. Biggest pain was snapping the spacer in the body.

jeff89 07-11-2013 10:48 AM

Probably a dumb question, but is this job remotely possible without a couple of axle jacks and lifting the Jeep 4 feet?

Say just two floor jacks? With 2 of these, I don't know how to manage the lowering and raising of the axle, though.

dadrunamok 07-11-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff89 (Post 3950359)
Probably a dumb question, but is this job remotely possible without a couple of axle jacks and lifting the Jeep 4 feet?

Say just two floor jacks? With 2 of these, I don't know how to manage the lowering and raising of the axle, though.

Hold it up by the frame with 6-ton jack stands. Use your floor jack to raise/lower the axle.

jeff89 07-11-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadrunamok (Post 3950394)
Hold it up by the frame with 6-ton jack stands. Use your floor jack to raise/lower the axle.

:doh:

Greg__Berger 07-11-2013 11:08 AM

Sorry to hijack, but TeraFlex - you mentioned that you'd recommend loosening and re-tightening the control arm and track bar bolts to reduce the possibility of pre-load impacting ride quality... What if you never loosened them at all? I did a lift install and didn't touch the control arms. Is this something you recommend that I do? Does it really make a difference?

ESP 07-11-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg__Berger (Post 3950437)
Sorry to hijack, but TeraFlex - you mentioned that you'd recommend loosening and re-tightening the control arm and track bar bolts to reduce the possibility of pre-load impacting ride quality... What if you never loosened them at all? I did a lift install and didn't touch the control arms. Is this something you recommend that I do? Does it really make a difference?

You can still do this. Simply loosen the CA and track bar bolts while on the ground. Do not remove them. Shake the jeep, jump up and down on the front and rear bumpers then tighten and torque to spec. No jacks or lifting to accomplish this.

Greg__Berger 07-11-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 3950540)
You can still do this. Simply loosen the CA and track bar bolts while on the ground. Do not remove them. Shake the jeep, jump up and down on the front and rear bumpers then tighten and torque to spec. No jacks or lifting to accomplish this.

Yeah, I understood what they were talking about. I'm just being lazy. I had access to a mechanic's bay when I installed the lift so I had his lift and tools. I don't at home so either I go buy a torque wrench and do it myself, or see if i can get an auto shop to do it really quick with their air tools. I just hate the thought of paying someone to do that after I did the entire install myself and not being able to ensure that they torqued everything to spec as requested.

TeraFlex 07-11-2013 12:56 PM

I really do recommend doing it. With the 1.5" kit it wont make a huge difference in the rear but it can in the front since you are actually going up 2 inches. If you like the way it rides now you may not need to worry about it. But we get a lot of calls about a stiffer ride after these kits are installed and almost always this is the cause. Same thing with a severely shifted axle after putting this kit on.

5150Rubicon 07-11-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3950824)
I really do recommend doing it. With the 1.5" kit it wont make a huge difference in the rear but it can in the front since you are actually going up 2 inches. If you like the way it rides now you may not need to worry about it. But we get a lot of calls about a stiffer ride after these kits are installed and almost always this is the cause. Same thing with a severely shifted axle after putting this kit on.

Teraflex...is the leveling kit 2 one inch pucks for each side on front? Could just one be used, making it a 1" lift all around? Don't mean to hijack.

Greg__Berger 07-11-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3950824)

Thanks, I actually put on a Zone Offroad 3". I've been really happy with it, but this adjustment may help immensely.

dadrunamok 07-11-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 3950540)

I wondered if this would work...I did not loosen the CA bolts on mine when I lifted it and I've been slightly concerned about the bushings binding.

Okay, I'm done with the hijack!

TeraFlex 07-11-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3950840)
Teraflex...is the leveling kit 2 one inch pucks for each side on front? Could just one be used, making it a 1" lift all around? Don't mean to hijack.

You are correct and yes you can.

groovebus 07-11-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3951047)

Is it both upper and lower control arms? The instructions for the leveling kit looks pretty easy but doesn't reference any of this, but the 2.5 inch lift instructions do. Also, someone recommended removing the skid plate to keep the front drive shaft from hitting it when you lower the axle. It doesn't look like it would hit.

I also found a video where someone just removed one tire at a time and installed it that way. It looked like it used the other tire as a pivot point and just lowered the axle with the jack. It took less than 3 minutes per spring once the bolts to the sway bar link, shocks and brake line bracket was loosened. Would you recommend doing it this way or just taking the whole front end appart at the same time? I will be working with jack stands and a floor jack.

Does anyone have a list of torque specs?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

TeraFlex 07-11-2013 02:55 PM

I suggest doing it to all arms. I used to own my own shop and this is one of the reasons I know to do this. As I mentioned it's not putting them in a huge bind at this low of lift but I figure if you can do something to relieve the stress and it's easy you might as well. As far as the method it's up to you. Even when I do them at home on jack stands I always do a whole axle at a time, but it's just personal preference. There is a saying in the automotive field. Ask 4 mechanics how to do something and you'll get 10 answers.

kjeeper10 07-11-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3951047)

:confused:

"2 one inch pucks" meaning stacked ?

Was he misunderstood here ?

The point to the leveling kit is to remove the rake, but Still give a little bit of lift overall.

One can just add 1" spacers to the front. This would do the same with less height.

TeraFlex 07-11-2013 03:19 PM

Nope he is correct there are 2 1" pucks in the kit that you stack ontop of each other. At such a low lift height there is no worries about stacking pucks.

Also on the topic of loosening bolts. By loosening the bolts you will also make lowering the axle to get the springs out much much easier.

kjeeper10 07-11-2013 03:27 PM

Learn something new every day :)

5150Rubicon 07-11-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3951368)
Learn something new every day :)

I was just curious about the leveling kit. IF I were to do that...I do not have much rake, and I actually like the rake (well, I should say...I really DONT like negative rake when the front sits higher than the back). So I was wondering about just adding a touch of lift all around (1" at that point). So it would essentially be 1" higher with the same factory rake. Instead of 1" higher in the back and 2" higher in the front. Would look nice with GY Duratrac 285/70/17s and keep all road manners and not f**k with the geometry (disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about) :D

kjeeper10 07-11-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150Rubicon (Post 3951610)

I was just curious about the leveling kit. IF I were to do that...I do not have much rake, and I actually like the rake (well, I should say...I really DONT like negative rake when the front sits higher than the back). So I was wondering about just adding a touch of lift all around (1" at that point). So it would essentially be 1" higher with the same factory rake. Instead of 1" higher in the back and 2" higher in the front. Would look nice with GY Duratrac 285/70/17s and keep all road manners and not f**k with the geometry (disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about) :D

You have it right :thumb:

5150Rubicon 07-11-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3951630)
You have it right :thumb:

shot you a PM

TeraFlex 07-11-2013 04:52 PM

Agreed you are correct.

5150Rubicon 07-11-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraFlex (Post 3951649)
Agreed you are correct.

Thanks Teraflex, I appreciate your response. Quick question...if I do 1" all around, do you still recommend using the extended sway bar links that come with your kit (I have a 2013 JKUR)?

Thanks!

ESP 07-11-2013 06:13 PM

Lemme throw in another 0.2 cents here.

If you only do 1" all around and at that...1" pucks all around, you are going to sag if you add any kind of additional weight such as a new front bumper, winch or heavier tire on the rear. You'll be practically back to stock height very quickly. If your going to do a leveling kit and plan to never add anything else to your jeep regarding weight (additionally you don't wheel your jeep much) then the "spacer lift is a good option". But only installing 1" pucks all around again has a lot of limits. You may regret not just doing the full install when you have to do all of the same work for less height. This is entirely up to you though. Build it the way you want.

5150Rubicon 07-11-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 3951885)
Lemme throw in another 0.2 cents here.

If you only do 1" all around and at that...1" pucks all around, you are going to sag if you add any kind of additional weight such as a new front bumper, winch or heavier tire on the rear. You'll be practically back to stock height very quickly. If your going to do a leveling kit and plan to never add anything else to your jeep regarding weight (additionally you don't wheel your jeep much) then the "spacer lift is a good option". But only installing 1" pucks all around again has a lot of limits. You may regret not just doing the full install when you have to do all of the same work for less height. This is entirely up to you though. Build it the way you want.

Totally agree with you and your argument against the kit if weight is going to be added (via bumpers, etc). Either way (2" in front or 1" spacer) the weight will compress the springs and it would be back to stock or worse, negative rake, in the case of a heavier spare and no extra weight anywhere else. As Big Fran showed, as soon as weight was added....it sagged (also because the stock springs don't respond well to extra weight) and he went with the TF 2.5 Coil. With no extra weight though, lots of people have great lookin rides with 33's and the leveling kit (again, the 2" vs 1" in the front won't matter in thatcase).

ESP 07-11-2013 08:01 PM

Agree.

A full leveling kit "performance kit with coils instead of pucks" will net you at least the 2" in the front and 1" in the rear but more than likely a little bit more height. Using this type of kit with 33s will look and function great and the coils will be rated higher allowing more weight (new bumper, winch, etc) to be added without the loss experienced with spacers.