Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Why all the lights? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/why-all-the-lights-255029.html)

WatchThis! 07-11-2013 08:48 AM

Why all the lights?
 
I get that light bars and lights can look cool but one thing I don't get is why so many people think it is a must have mod. I have seen folks do a lift and run 35s as cheap as they can only to turn around and spend thousands of dollars on lights. Nothing wrong with that at all except more and more "builds" like this are showing up on the trails.

Something that is even stranger to me is the fact that I have people asking me all the time how come I haven't put a lot of lights on my jeep. Sure some of them are joking but most are not. It seams that lots of people believe it is a must have mod, especially if you wheel. I just don't get it.

Thoughts, comments

thinkxingu 07-11-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3949939)
I get that light bars and lights can look cool

I think you answered your own question- a very high percentage of what people do to their Jeeps is based in cosmetics. I've driven once in the dark in the last month, but even I have been eyeing a hoop and lights!

PecosRiver 07-11-2013 09:02 AM

I travel a lot on backroads at night. Extra lighting makes it easier to see deer and elk and will hopefully help me avoid mating with them with my Jeep. I have yet to add auxiliary lighting to my new Jeep, but I am close to making a decision.

joeuncool 07-11-2013 09:14 AM

20 years ago I had 5 130 watt KC Daylighters on my Ford F-150. Back then when I was young, no kids, and not married I used to wheel at night quite often. That row of lights lit up the night like lights at a stadium. I loved the setup although I think burning out 3 alternators in 5 years might have been related. I also found out that relays are our friends. :D

Now, jump ahead to present time. I bought my JKUR used and it came with 2 55 watt PIAA driving/fog lights on it. I have found these to be quite helpful in lighting up the road at night. We all know jeep headlight issues. I now have wife, kids, and grown up responsible life. I find myself preferring to go to bed after dark rather than heading out the door to head for the trails. I look at all the different kinds of lights out there thinking "I gotta get me some of these. Any decent 4x4 has got to have enough lights to make it look like it is ready for the sun to burn out." Then I start planning and pricing everything out and reality hits me. "What am I doing? This is a waste of money. I don't wheel at night." :facepalm: I like the looks of extra lighting on jeeps but right now there are too many other mods I will actually use to spend my money on instead lights just for looks.

I know a great majority of the off road lights out there only get turned on twice a year and that probably happens when a friend stops by.

"Cool. You have off road lights. Are they bright?"

"You bet they are. Check this out." <click>

"Wow, those are bright. Real nice. Well let's go inside. I think the game is on."

:hide:

Ajax333333 07-11-2013 09:27 AM

Love my lights... Used them once in the last year.

mrbullitt 07-11-2013 09:51 AM

I love mine. I use them In place of my High beams a lot. I live out in the "country" where there are a lot of roads with no Street lights so it helps. Plus I do go out a wheel after sun down a few times every so often.

tab22092 07-11-2013 10:07 AM

I use my lights every night driving home from work. stock high beams are useless. The backroads to my house is deer central and ive successfully missed a few bc of my daylighters. I agree with the more lights than lincoln financial field thing though (im an eagles fan) lol i think it looks a little crazy if you have more than 2. Just my opinion though.

paynewp 07-11-2013 10:11 AM

I just ordered a SPOD for my JK (birthday this month) my wife asked my why would I spend so much on something I don't need? My answer was lights are going on my ride, mostly for looks, but you may never know when you find yourself a trail right as the sun goes down!

yellowtailfan 07-11-2013 10:15 AM

...because all the cool kids are doing it!?!?! :rofl:

fireron 07-11-2013 10:16 AM

Depending how long you have been 'wheeling, experience drives some of us to purchase possibly overkill items....like full skid plating, big name heavy duty winches, extra lighting, tree saving straps, snatch-um straps (now I am dating myself) highlift jacks and maybe extra parts along with too many tools.

Lighting at might when driving along the Rim in Arizona is money well spent as deer and elk end up being hood ornaments many times during the year. We buy these extras because of experience and needs from those experiences.

Tastes have changed a lot in the 40 years I have been four wheeling, and as most of us know many folks want to look the part just like the popularity of tattoos and backward wearing of ball caps. We all know many of the new Jeeps being purchased lately are for being "in" and the exterior accessories help to get some folks accepted. Good for business, fun for the folks buying and installing these things so I say let them enjoy whatever floats their boat. When they sell down the line someone can get a few extras on their new purchase. A win, win I think.

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 10:21 AM

I assume you are talking about people/rigs similar to me.....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/9...6d369696_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/8...2b6af77e_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7319/9...fa10985a_b.jpg

Now, I obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I personally use them a lot. I do a lot of photography, and end up lingering on trails way past sunsets to get the optimal shots. I drive in pitch black darkness all the time and I like to be able to cover all forward angles. One lightsource is not capable of lighting everything. I loved driving in Moab and basically having my own daylight. I can run trails at night that most wouldn't be able to simply because they can't see anything.

enjerhoo 07-11-2013 10:24 AM

There is one street light between my house & the freeway so mine get used regularly. Deer, dogs (& now bears) are around all the time.

Lights are to Jeeps as money is to politicians.
Like it or not, they just go together.

lolpetewtf 07-11-2013 10:27 AM

I may grab some 2x2 D2s at some point, not because I wheel at night, but because I work outside at night doing sound studies occasionally - extra light would help.

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 3950271)
I may grab some 2x2 D2s at some point, not because I wheel at night, but because I work outside at night doing sound studies occasionally - extra light would help.

I use my D2s as camping lights all the time. Tons of light, minimal draw.

lolpetewtf 07-11-2013 10:29 AM

NFRs2000NYC - What brand lights are you using?

gr8fulKID 07-11-2013 10:30 AM

Arent they for the zombie take over?

I have a set of fogs and a pair of kc slimlites on my windshield. Stock highbeams suck and I live in a heavily wooded area of NJ where there are no streetlights but a lot of dear and occaionaly bear. Although its illegal, I use the kcs in conjunction with my stock high beams.

Oh, and the KCs are also for flashing drivers on the road who do stupid moves.

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf (Post 3950277)
NFRs2000NYC - What brand lights are you using?

Rigid Industries and Aurora.

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3950282)
Arent they for the zombie take over?

I have a set of fogs and a pair of kc slimlites on my windshield. Stock highbeams suck and I live in a heavily wooded area of NJ where there are no streetlights but a lot of dear and occaionaly bear. Although its illegal, I use the kcs in conjunction with my stock high beams.

Oh, and the KCs are also for flashing drivers on the road who do stupid moves.

They are definitely for zombies.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psb735b6b7.jpg

western196611 07-11-2013 10:39 AM

Lights are just like guns.... it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have 'em...... Just my .02

NCJeepin 07-11-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3950245)
I assume you are talking about people/rigs similar to me.....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7319/9...fa10985a_b.jpg

Now, I obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I personally use them a lot. I do a lot of photography, and end up lingering on trails way past sunsets to get the optimal shots. I drive in pitch black darkness all the time and I like to be able to cover all forward angles. One lightsource is not capable of lighting everything. I loved driving in Moab and basically having my own daylight. I can run trails at night that most wouldn't be able to simply because they can't see anything.

Wow that is incredible! That's so bright!

But I agree with OP, a lot of people just get lights because it looks cool. I've looked into some before but couldn't justify the cost since I have more important mods on my list. I do go night wheeling from time to time though and live on a mountain where there are no streetlights and is regularly foggy. I have upgraded my headlights to Delta H4 (found on craigslist for very good deal) and have a set of what looks like KC Daylighters that came on the Jeep when I bought it. I've made them work for what I do and am happy with it. Would I mind some extra light to see deer, coyotes, foxes, bears, etc. at night in the curves? Yes. But you gotta pay to play and as a college student I don't have much. All the lightbars and LEDs do look sweet though and I enjoy seeing them on peoples' rigs.

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by western196611 (Post 3950324)
Lights are just like guns.... it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have 'em...... Just my .02

And more guns are better. And bigger guns are better. :D

Finally got a Jeep 07-11-2013 10:42 AM

For me, what "off-roading" I do is limited mostly to pulling the boat down dirt roads to remote ramps as often as I can. Lifts and bigger tires aren't a must but seeing well is. Plus, lights on the rear come in handy when stowing my gear and tying everything down before leaving. And I gotta be honest, yes, I do think they look cool.

DaK 07-11-2013 10:50 AM

Have thought about more lights several times. we are currently sporting LED headlights and Vision X fogs plenty of light for the little night time driving we do.

Recently we did some night trail/rock crawling and I am here to tell you that those lights are useless if you are the spotter as you can't see squat! We had people turn off the aftermarket lights and leave the stock parking lights on so the spotter could see the corners of the Jeep. Only time we used the aftermarket lights was on fire road part of the journey. There they earned thier keep. I now understand why rock lights exist.

If one wheels at night and camps I can see the use of these lights due to the jaundice and poor performance of the stockers.

As the theory goes, "Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it".

Snowren24 07-11-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3950245)
I assume you are talking about people/rigs similar to me.....





Now, I obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I personally use them a lot. I do a lot of photography, and end up lingering on trails way past sunsets to get the optimal shots. I drive in pitch black darkness all the time and I like to be able to cover all forward angles. One lightsource is not capable of lighting everything. I loved driving in Moab and basically having my own daylight. I can run trails at night that most wouldn't be able to simply because they can't see anything.


sweet pics, that's a hell of a lot of light. The more the better if you're gonna use it though.

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 3950364)
Have thought about more lights several times. we are currently sporting LED headlights and Vision X fogs plenty of light for the little night time driving we do.

Recently we did some night trail/rock crawling and I am here to tell you that those lights are useless if you are the spotter as you can't see squat! We had people turn off the aftermarket lights and leave the stock parking lights on so the spotter could see the corners of the Jeep. Only time we used the aftermarket lights was on fire road part of the journey. There they earned thier keep. I now understand why rock lights exist.

If one wheels at night and camps I can see the use of these lights due to the jaundice and poor performance of the stockers.

As the theory goes, "Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it".

Rock lights are extremely useful if you are going to crawl after dark. I genenrally don't crawl at night, but will install rock lights for the same reason...better to have them and not need them....

WatchThis! 07-11-2013 11:29 AM

It might just be me but a ton of lights while night wheeling are useless if there is more then one jeep. Nothing sucks more then being blinded by someone else's lights.

Don't get me wrong I don't think there is anything wrong with them I just find it funny that most people think it is a must have kinda thing. Kinda like a black fuel door.

jondotcom 07-11-2013 11:31 AM

I have 3 KC's on my JK, invaluable for travelling hwy 74A from Asheville to Chimney Rock NC and also hwy 64 from Hendersonville to Bat Cave NC, pitch dark at night, narrow roads and can be extremely foggy at time. If I lived somewhere flatter I probably wouldn't have invested in more lighting but worth it when rounding a curve on a mountain road. Oh yeah, it looks cool also, LOL !!!

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCJeepin (Post 3950330)
Wow that is incredible! That's so bright!

But I agree with OP, a lot of people just get lights because it looks cool. I've looked into some before but couldn't justify the cost since I have more important mods on my list. I do go night wheeling from time to time though and live on a mountain where there are no streetlights and is regularly foggy. I have upgraded my headlights to Delta H4 (found on craigslist for very good deal) and have a set of what looks like KC Daylighters that came on the Jeep when I bought it. I've made them work for what I do and am happy with it. Would I mind some extra light to see deer, coyotes, foxes, bears, etc. at night in the curves? Yes. But you gotta pay to play and as a college student I don't have much. All the lightbars and LEDs do look sweet though and I enjoy seeing them on peoples' rigs.

Eh, thats not crime either. There are plenty of mods that make the rig look cool, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have seen plenty of people in NYC on 37s. Not everything in this hobby needs to make sense, that's why it's so great. Individuality is a hell of a thing. Hell, sites like this wouldn't exist if we all drove around stock rigs. :)

NFRs2000NYC 07-11-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3950496)
It might just be me but a ton of lights while night wheeling are useless if there is more then one jeep. Nothing sucks more then being blinded by someone else's lights.

Don't get me wrong I don't think there is anything wrong with them I just find it funny that most people think it is a must have kinda thing. Kinda like a black fuel door.

When I wheel with friends, I'm always the lead. They all have craptastic headlights, so they need something to follow. I'd never run with my lights on if I was following someone else.:thumb:

gr8fulKID 07-11-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3950306)

Dude that is awesome


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.