Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Advice Needed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/advice-needed-255047.html)

Newt1234 07-11-2013 11:35 AM

Advice Needed

I swapped out my sport stock tires on my 13 Jk with a set of Rubicon Takeoffs. About a 3 inch difference in size.

Took it to the dealer so they could just recalibrate the speedometer for me and they tell me because I have a 2013 that they don't know if they can actually do it. They DID NOT know if it would work but they could try.

If it works. Great they charge me $100 bucks. If it DOESN'T work. Too bad for me still $100 bucks. How can the damn dealer I bought from, a jeep dealer and shop, not know if they can or can't do something to my jeep. And then still charge me the same price afterward.

Anyone else experience something like this??

Looks like I will be ordering a procal.

MTH 07-11-2013 11:43 AM

Just order a ProCal.

In 2011 they changed the computer system, and it seems like every year thereafter there's been some growing pains in terms of reprogramming.

The dealership would just rather not bother with you and your tires. Especially not for free. It's not about whether you get what you desire--it's about whether they get paid for the time. Attempting to reprogram takes just as much time (maybe longer) as successfully reprogramming.

But . . . you should probably use a GPS to track your speed and see if you're actually off by much. It may be so inconsequential as to not be worth any effort to change.

If you do want it changed, just spend a few more bucks for a ProCal and call it good.

Rooster76 07-11-2013 11:45 AM

You might want to consider getting a superchip Flashcal. They are the same price 160ish as the procal. It seems like it might have a couple extra features.

Newt1234 07-11-2013 11:47 AM

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Didn't know if I was being a little hot headed for being pissed about this. I would think they would want to know if they could or couldn't fix something...and if they weren't sure I am positive someone at the manufacturer or higher level service would know. If it was me, I would have found the freakin answer instead of being lazy about it a blowing it off. Oh well I guess, the Internet is a powerful place these days and I can be sure to leave a detailed review on every website I can find...what else am I going to do while I wait for my procal.

TeraFlex 07-11-2013 02:04 PM

I know the programmer we use in the shop ( this is a full fledge diagnositics computer) will let us change the speedo but not recalibrate TPMS yet for the 2013, we are still waiting on the update.

jadmt 07-11-2013 02:07 PM

My dealer is the largest Jeep dealer in the world and they told me that on 2013's they could not calibrate for tire size changes and recommended the procal to do it.

Newt1234 07-11-2013 08:53 PM

Well I took it out on the highway and with my speedo at 60 my gps and speedometer app say 65. Just have to be careful I guess until I get a procal or something

forgedoffroad.com 07-11-2013 10:06 PM

You'll be fine until you can swing a ProCal. Personally, I wasn't entirely a believer in the difference it made, thinking it really only affected the speedometer. After recalibrating the shop 2012 JKU for the 35s, I was very surprised by how much more driveable it is now that the computer can actually anticipate engine load, RPM, etc for different speeds. It's not something that really makes the Jeep more enjoyable, but I'm very attentive to the sounds and responses my pile makes, so when I saw it shifting a better times, not shifting relentlessly around 60mph, etc... I was satisfied. We now keep a handful in stock and have 2013-compatible units ready to go.

Newt1234 07-15-2013 06:21 PM

Ordered my procal today. Can't wait to see how it feels after reprogramming for the new tires

jadmt 07-15-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgedoffroad.com (Post 3952595)
You'll be fine until you can swing a ProCal. Personally, I wasn't entirely a believer in the difference it made, thinking it really only affected the speedometer. After recalibrating the shop 2012 JKU for the 35s, I was very surprised by how much more driveable it is now that the computer can actually anticipate engine load, RPM, etc for different speeds. It's not something that really makes the Jeep more enjoyable, but I'm very attentive to the sounds and responses my pile makes, so when I saw it shifting a better times, not shifting relentlessly around 60mph, etc... I was satisfied. We now keep a handful in stock and have 2013-compatible units ready to go.

I think that might be the biggest reason people hate on the 3.21/3.73's so bad is they don't take the time to use a procal unit to calibrate the speedo properly which in turn helps shift points in the automatic.