Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Electrical gremlin question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/electrical-gremlin-question-255189.html)

THW 07-11-2013 09:06 PM

Electrical gremlin question

Ok so I wired up my PIAA lights today, and everything worked out just fine. The main power for the lights is wired directly to the battery, and for the switch power I tapped into fuse M8, a 20A fuse that is assigned to the heated front seat. I don't have heated seats, so I figured this would be a wise choice for a tap.

The lights work fine, but as I was turning them on and off again to compare them to the headlights and foglights (for aiming purposes, and also just messing around playing with my new toys) the windshield wiper randomly comes on. Just one quick swipe. My hand was nowhere near the windshield wiper control. I fiddled with it a bit more, just turning the PIAA switch on and off, and sure enough, the windshield wipers swipe one more time. I ensured that the wipers were off, and tried again- and it happened a third time. I couldn't replicate it on purpose- it just seemed to happen at random when I would turn on or off the PIAA switch.

Anyone have a clue what I might have done wrong?

nickgbp 07-11-2013 09:28 PM

Just a thought...try a different tap... canbus electronics is tricky, I work on over the road trucks that use a simular system, they use one wire to send signals to multipal functions... if a person taps into a circut and changes the voltage load, weird stuff happens.
Good luck.

THW 07-11-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickgbp (Post 3952434)
Just a thought...try a different tap... canbus electronics is tricky, I work on over the road trucks that use a simular system, they use one wire to send signals to multipal functions... if a person taps into a circut and changes the voltage load, weird stuff happens.
Good luck.

Thanks. I'll try some other taps tomorrow. Yeah, canbus is weird- I was extra careful with this wiring job and did everything by the book because I was afraid that something crazy would happen- LOL I guess I STILL messed something up! At least it's just a random windshield wipe every once in a while instead of something totally insane like my brakes locking up or something...

Lusus_Naturae 07-12-2013 02:57 AM

You might consider just running a line to it and wiring it completely independent of the canbus.

THW 07-12-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 3953421)
You might consider just running a line to it and wiring it completely independent of the canbus.

You mean direct to the battery? I was hoping to keep the switch powered by an ignition-only source, so I don't stupidly forget to turn the lights off after parking overnight and kill the battery. (I've done it before and if given a chance, will do it again!)

Or am I misunderstanding you? Is there some way to do this without involving the canbus?

woansleftpeg 07-12-2013 06:26 PM

Tap a relay into a switched live such as a cigarette lighter so that the circuit will only be completed when the ignition is on. I agree with Lusus about avoiding CANBUS controlled circuits if possible.

Lusus_Naturae 07-13-2013 04:31 AM

Good point - tapping the cigarette may be a good spot. I was skimming Quadratec and found this - suggesting that the cigarette lighter may be a good work around for the Canbus system.

Quadratec Exclusive JK-APT2011 - 12 Volt Power Adapter for 99-12 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK , TJ Unlimited & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

americonium 07-13-2013 06:03 AM

I wired my off-road light relay to the hot side of the fender running light. That way I can only turn them on if the light switch is in at least the parking light position. That's the coil portion of the relay, not the hot lead.