Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   If your building a top hoist.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/if-your-building-a-top-hoist-255242.html)

Dubler 07-11-2013 11:54 PM

If your building a top hoist....
 
So I just built a hoist for my hard top. While it works good and all, I thought I'd share some things I'd do different if I were to do it all over again.

FIRST...I have a wickedly small garage so depth was an issue. I ran four pulleys from the corners and a boat crank on the side. By far the most difficult part was getting the ropes to all pull evenly. So....instead of using four pulley's, I believe using a single point of stress would be easier to control. Using four points causes one side to lift first and major shifting. Using a single point near the rear would be much easier to tie up.

SECONDLY....I mounted my boat crank near the ceiling. This was because I was nervous running yet another pulley to the wall would be an awfully lot of unedded stress to that point. I'm not sure if this was a unedded precaution.

Last...make sure u reinforce your rafters. I'm sure some people will disagree, but why risk it.

Dubler 07-11-2013 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before I parked under...

Dubler 07-11-2013 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Side view

Iron Clad Lou 07-12-2013 08:20 AM

that is exactly what I'm looking to do...where did you get the crank?

JeepR kReapR 07-12-2013 09:31 AM

Subscribed :)

Thanks for posting this! Your garage ceiling height as about the same as mine, but my garage is detached so there are just open rafters where you have drywall.

Was worried the height wouldn't be enough but now I know I can give it a go!!!

Dubler 07-12-2013 09:40 AM

The crank is from Walmart. I saw em on amazon for 20 bucks. Make sure u line up the crank with the pulley to minimize movement.

Toolin Around 07-12-2013 10:02 AM

I was looking to make a hoist also. Harbor Freight has an electric winch for $140 I was thinking of mounting in the attic over the garage and running the cable through a fairlead to the top. Still in the planning stages, but will post pictures if I ever get around to it!

st1264 07-12-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubler (Post 3953206)
So I just built a hoist for my hard top. While it works good and all, I thought I'd share some things I'd do different if I were to do it all over again.

FIRST...I have a wickedly small garage so depth was an issue. I ran four pulleys from the corners and a boat crank on the side. By far the most difficult part was getting the ropes to all pull evenly. So....instead of using four pulley's, I believe using a single point of stress would be easier to control. Using four points causes one side to lift first and major shifting. Using a single point near the rear would be much easier to tie up.

SECONDLY....I mounted my boat crank near the ceiling. This was because I was nervous running yet another pulley to the wall would be an awfully lot of unedded stress to that point. I'm not sure if this was a unedded precaution.

Last...make sure u reinforce your rafters. I'm sure some people will disagree, but why risk it.

I'm sure 4 points would distribute the weight better than less points of lift... this is why you measure everything perfectly and put the vehicle in the exact spot you need to lift. I'm glad I have a 10ft ceiling in my garage.

Dubler 07-12-2013 12:01 PM

With Using the four points, measuring is not the issue. It's when U start to add tension to the ropes, they start to stretch and such. Measurements then change, especially in a small garage, every little bit of change matters.

Abnormal-JK 07-12-2013 12:16 PM

I just built a similar version with a boat crank, except I used 6 pulley's and rock climbing rope (it does not stretch). 2 pulley's in the front, 4 in the back, 4 points of contact on the top. Very easy to use by yourself.

It's at my lake house, I'll take pics next weekend when I'm there again... going to play in the dirt this weekend...

okstatemike 07-12-2013 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
4 Anchors in the rafters and 2 ratchet straps...works good for me

Iron Clad Lou 07-12-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okstatemike (Post 3954677)
4 Anchors in the rafters and 2 ratchet straps...works good for me

how do you ease it down?

okstatemike 07-12-2013 12:49 PM

Lower one side a bit, then lower the other a bit and repeat until seated....you really only have to lift the top about 2 inches to drive out from under it.

st1264 07-12-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubler (Post 3954605)
With Using the four points, measuring is not the issue. It's when U start to add tension to the ropes, they start to stretch and such. Measurements then change, especially in a small garage, every little bit of change matters.

Tons of people are happy with the Harken Hoister, a 4 point hoist system.

ameration 07-12-2013 02:00 PM

30 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3954289)
I'm sure 4 points would distribute the weight better than less points of lift... this is why you measure everything perfectly and put the vehicle in the exact spot you need to lift. I'm glad I have a 10ft ceiling in my garage.

I'm glad that I have a 13' Garage ceiling. :thumb: $60 for everything.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...p;d=1373654432

Iron Clad Lou 07-12-2013 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by okstatemike (Post 3954767)
Lower one side a bit, then lower the other a bit and repeat until seated....you really only have to lift the top about 2 inches to drive out from under it.

so the ratchets will ratchet both up AND down?

I drew up a quick diagram for DIY hoist...I'm open to opinions!

okstatemike 07-12-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Clad Lou (Post 3955024)
so the ratchets will ratchet both up AND down?

I drew up a quick diagram for DIY hoist...I'm open to opinions!

They don't ratchet down, but with the weight of the top on them you can release the "brake" (for lack of a better word) and the top will come down. Once you have it to a stopping point, you reapply the "brake" and proceed with the other side. Works like a charm. :thumb:

ameration 07-12-2013 02:21 PM

30 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Clad Lou (Post 3955024)
....
I drew up a quick diagram for DIY hoist...I'm open to opinions!

That is similar to my set-up, but I used three coated hooks, each attached to its own line. I tied bowline knots onto each end - one side onto the hooks and the other onto the hook on the hand winch. I went with the one below from harbor freight. It has a 40:1 crank so if you attach your power drill to it it goes nice and smooth and is way less money than a power hoist - plus since the top only weighs around 100 lbs. it won't move and there is no need to tie it off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb...inch-5798.html

Iron Clad Lou 07-12-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okstatemike (Post 3955054)
They don't ratchet down, but with the weight of the top on them you can release the "brake" (for lack of a better word) and the top will come down. Once you have it to a stopping point, you reapply the "brake" and proceed with the other side. Works like a charm. :thumb:

gotcha! thanks!

Iron Clad Lou 07-12-2013 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameration (Post 3955076)
That is similar to my set-up, but I used three coated hooks, each attached to its own line. I tied bowline knots onto each end - one side onto the hooks and the other onto the hook on the hand winch. I went with the one below from harbor freight. It has a 40:1 crank so if you attach your power drill to it it goes nice and smooth and is way less money than a power hoist - plus since the top only weighs around 100 lbs. it won't move and there is no need to tie it off.

2000 Lb. Capacity Geared Winch

so, I revised the diagram using the winch you refer to, see attached...let me know what you think. BTW, can you get a pic of your winch?

Dubler 07-12-2013 03:13 PM

Put your pulley closer to rear of the top. Most of the weight is in the back glass. This way the top will raise evenly rather than the front first, then sides.

LoCo Jeep 07-12-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Clad Lou (Post 3955135)
so, I revised the diagram using the winch you refer to, see attached...let me know what you think. BTW, can you get a pic of your winch?

I used a double pulley at the ceiling and the one you see at the bottom. Also you can use a solid ring to connect your carabiners.

http://imageshack.us/a/img51/8693/twdg.jpg

ameration 07-12-2013 06:53 PM

30 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Clad Lou (Post 3955135)
so, I revised the diagram using the winch you refer to, see attached...let me know what you think. BTW, can you get a pic of your winch?

I mounted my pulley that is above the winch to the header panel (near where the wall and ceiling meet) rather than into the ceiling. Also, be sure to lube up the worm drive gear and it will work much easier. The winch is cheaply made but more than sufficient for the job. Those would be my only suggestions.

LoCo Jeep 07-12-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ameration (Post 3955921)
I mounted my pulley that is above the winch to the header panel (near where the wall and ceiling meet) rather than into the ceiling.

Or you could mount that pulley to a piece of slotted angle iron

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/528/0qxi.jpg

kwrightson 07-14-2013 06:20 PM

I'm looking at building a hoist like one of these next weekend. Some great ideas in here, but I had one concern about the rope against the weather stripping on the hard top.

Anyone have any idea if that will that have negative effects on the stripping, if the hard top is held up by it over a whole summer?

st1264 07-14-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwrightson (Post 3961843)
I'm looking at building a hoist like one of these next weekend. Some great ideas in here, but I had one concern about the rope against the weather stripping on the hard top.

Anyone have any idea if that will that have negative effects on the stripping, if the hard top is held up by it over a whole summer?

Guys use pool noodles... I'm sure someone will post a pic of them.

mikeymac 07-14-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwrightson (Post 3961843)
I'm looking at building a hoist like one of these next weekend. Some great ideas in here, but I had one concern about the rope against the weather stripping on the hard top.

Anyone have any idea if that will that have negative effects on the stripping, if the hard top is held up by it over a whole summer?


Just put my top back on today after being suspended for about 50 days. I run straps and (rope through the back glass for backup), which touch the back window seal. Doesn't look to be a problem with the seal.

LoCo Jeep 07-15-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3962100)
Guys use pool noodles... I'm sure someone will post a pic of them.

Never thought about using a pool noddle but I think they may be a bit too bulky.
I used pipe insulation as seen in the picture below.


http://imageshack.us/a/img51/8693/twdg.jpg[/QUOTE]

st1264 07-15-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpostman (Post 3877065)
Here is a pic of mine with the pool noodles. I used the 200lb Harken Hoister for 12ft ceilings. My ceilings are just under 11ft, and I can bring the top down all the way to the floor. Also, I did not use the figure 8 knot as suggested in Harken manual. I used a Bowline knot. I also added the extra 2X4 because my rafters are setup left to right instead of front to back.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSCN1035.jpg

This is an example that someone posted, to protect the weatherstripping during long periods of hoisting... I am sure there are many other ways to do it. Consensus is that you should protect your weatherstripping or there may be a leak after a while.

LoCo Jeep 07-15-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Clad Lou (Post 3955135)
so, I revised the diagram using the winch you refer to, see attached...let me know what you think. BTW, can you get a pic of your winch?

This is what I have. Tractor Supply....$20

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/6827/qkba.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.