Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   First car (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/first-car-255390.html)

dfletemier 07-12-2013 06:11 PM

First car
 
Ok so I am 14 and start drivers training in November. I've wanted a wrangler my whole life. I just got a job to save up my money so i can buy one when im 16. A few questions: Should I buy brand new or used? I would get the sport model if i got brand new and i was messing around with build and price and was wondering if i need an engine block heater. I live in southeast MI. About 45 minutes from Detroit. Would a hard top be necessary? I would prefer only a soft because in the warmer months its always gonna be down anyways unless its raining haha. So I wouldnt waste money on A/C. The only problem is I'm gonna need to work alot to pay off my monthly bill, my dad will pay insurance. I could buy used but I'm not all about doing a bunch of work to fix it up because i dont know much about cars haha. If I was buying used I wouldn't want it too old or too many miles, or obviously too much work to put into it. So many decisions...Maybe I'll just go with a new patriot...?

lolpetewtf 07-12-2013 06:14 PM

Start with a YJ or TJ. If I was 16 the last thing I would want is to be on the hook for a $22,000+ car.

When I was your age I financed a $2,000 dirt bike. You'll see, someday!

t3456 07-12-2013 06:19 PM

With all due respect, your first car should be used. I think you should look for a tj or yj. Despite what your thinking now, youll never be able to pay for a new jeep.

WillDawg 07-12-2013 06:22 PM

Find a good used jeep. Not much damage that runs well. And fix it as you go. You will learn that it is fairly easy to do work yourself. Even cheaper if your parents have tools you can borrow. Don't forget to be a teenager in there somewhere.

the Grouch 07-12-2013 06:22 PM

What lolpetewf said. Buy a used one. Otherwise you will do nothing but work to pay the Jeep.

dawhitesJKU 07-12-2013 06:24 PM

live within your means. A new car will cost a lot.

Beastmaster 07-12-2013 06:27 PM

Warning: It's said that when ever you call a Jeep, a "car" a kitten dies. :eek:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...gMU7CTNOrp8TgW

That being said, I agree with the previous posters, buy a used Jeep and have fun. This way, it won't hurt so much when you get your first dent, scratch, etc.

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Click here for helpful tips for newcomers

t3456 07-12-2013 06:31 PM

And please dont use that patriot word again.

michiganadam 07-12-2013 06:36 PM

I wouldn't just because of the price. Most people wreck or otherwise tear up their first car, meaning a piece of crap beater is better. That said, I've been driving for 10 years and have never wrecked anything. Just takes a little intelligence and luck!

Even an old, beater of a jeep, will cost 3 times as much as a typical beater car. A YJ in decent visual shape with a shackle lift and 33s, and bent frame, is $8000 around here. Freakin insane. Anything else would be $1500 around here.


But...Jeeps are cool. I almost got a YJ for my first car. That was in 06, so the JK wasnt even out yet, and TJs were still too new for me to get ahold of. YJs were just kind of sort of in reach. I got an oldsmobile 88 instead. :(

You need to be really careful in the winter though. The 4x4 system gets such great traction in the winter that it'll make you over confident and then you wreck because you're going too fast to stop. It does not stop any better than any other vehicle. But it's just about impossible to get a jeep stuck on the road.

I would definitely not get a new one. I wouldn't even get a new one for myself right now. I bought an 08 back in february or so.

A hard top is NOT neccessary. The soft top can handle being covered with 2+ feet of snow just fine. Hell, mine was buried in snow before i test drove it, couldn't even see it LOL. 2 feet on the roof. just fine. However, you can't flex the windows very much at all in the winter. They'll break. It makes it really difficult to put anything in the back of the jeep.

You don't need an engine block heater unless it's a diesel. But it'd be nice to have.

Insurance is cheaper on jeeps than you would expect. They're very safe. You're going to be shafted on it though at your age.

You're going to regret not getting AC. The top is fairly difficult to raise and lower, and it's not worth the hassle for when you *know* its going to rain. And what if its hot and raining?

I've had my top down and doors off for 3 days right now though. :) Great weather. Watch the forecasts if you leave the top down.

DF Jeep 07-12-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3456 (Post 3955836)
And please dont use that patriot word again.


The only time 'Patriot' is a bad word. Buy used and make it your own.

TrueBlueJK 07-12-2013 06:39 PM

I'm glad to see there are young people out there that still like to work hard and earn enough to by their own first car. Good luck buddy!!

t3456 07-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF Jeep (Post 3955858)

The only time 'Patriot' is a bad word. Buy used and make it your own.

Yes sir. Might be the only place where compass is a bad word too. Lol

michiganadam 07-12-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK (Post 3955864)
I'm glad to see there are young people out there that still like to work hard and earn enough to by their own first car. Good luck buddy!!

hell i had to buy my own road test cause my parents said i couldnt pass it. cost me $40 for the road test. I passed it with flying colors and was only knocked down from a perfect score because i get bored at stop lights. I still do that too.

dfletemier 07-12-2013 06:57 PM

Where should i look to find used jeeps online? Like autotrader or craigslist or what? Lol if i don't buy myself a car I'll have to sure an old crappy minivan with my sister, wouldn't want to be seen in that haha

michiganadam 07-12-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfletemier (Post 3955937)
Where should i look to find used jeeps online? Like autotrader or craigslist or what? Lol if i don't buy myself a car I'll have to sure an old crappy minivan with my sister, wouldn't want to be seen in that haha

Craigslist. Don't agree to buy without looking at it thoroughly and pay in cash, buy in person.

Autotrader is a good one.

Car dealerships. Trust them even less than normal people though.

I'd suggest having a mechanic check any of these out before buying them.

And you have to make sure the 4x4 works too..

There's always a bunch of used jeeps on the side of the road for sale in my area. And i'm in Niles, MI.

Old Dogger 07-12-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfletemier (Post 3955746)
Ok so I am 14 and start drivers training in November. I've wanted a wrangler my whole life. I just got a job to save up my money so i can buy one when im 16. A few questions: Should I buy brand new or used? I would get the sport model if i got brand new and i was messing around with build and price and was wondering if i need an engine block heater. I live in southeast MI. About 45 minutes from Detroit. Would a hard top be necessary? I would prefer only a soft because in the warmer months its always gonna be down anyways unless its raining haha. So I wouldnt waste money on A/C. The only problem is I'm gonna need to work alot to pay off my monthly bill, my dad will pay insurance. I could buy used but I'm not all about doing a bunch of work to fix it up because i dont know much about cars haha. If I was buying used I wouldn't want it too old or too many miles, or obviously too much work to put into it. So many decisions...Maybe I'll just go with a new patriot...?

First off a Jeep is not a car, but no big deal.
Go to craigslist and look for a low mileage 2003, or 2004 TJ. They are very reliable and it won't brake your bank. Stay away from the 2005 thru 2006, because they have a oil pump drive gear issues in their engines.
Good Luck!:thumb:

JEEPSnKICKS23 07-12-2013 07:55 PM

Hey Man Jeeps are awesome but a new one us a grip start off used they are good vehicles to begin with

StarBrite 07-12-2013 08:58 PM

Everyone has already given you lots of great ideas. My suggestion would be to make sure you take your parents with you to check out or buy any vehicle. You don't want some slimy adult to take advantage of you just because you're a kid. Mom or Dad will understand transferring a bill of sale, titles and all that legal stuff much better than a 16 year old. (No offense intended, honest! :) )

RoadiJeff 07-12-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfletemier (Post 3955746)
First car

If you get a Jeep you still won't have a first CAR, since a Jeep is not a car. ;)

When I was about to get my license my first street legal motor vehicle was a $700 Yamaha 125cc enduro. My parents paid for some of it and I mowed a lot of grass to pay the rest.

Live within your means and don't get into big debt at such a young age. You'll have plenty of years to look forward to your first new motor vehicle. There are lots of used vehicles in the sub $5,000 range that are mechanically sound. Start there and work your way up a couple of years after that.

dfletemier 07-12-2013 10:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, what is your guys opinion on leasing a wrangler instead of buying? I know i could afford it if and I'm the kind of kid that actually values his stuff so i would take excellent care of it and not be an idiot. Then when the lease is up i could get another wrangler or somethin else if i want, or not because I'll be a college student probably not even needing a car (i mean jeep lol)

Neral22 07-12-2013 10:29 PM

Never lease.... Never.....

Retr0zombie 07-12-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbrite (Post 3956281)
everyone has already given you lots of great ideas. My suggestion would be to make sure you take your parents with you to check out or buy any vehicle. You don't want some slimy adult to take advantage of you just because you're a kid. Mom or dad will understand transferring a bill of sale, titles and all that legal stuff much better than a 16 year old. (no offense intended, honest! :) )

x2

mhilbush 07-13-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfletemier (Post 3955746)
my dad will pay insurance

That may be the case, but I bet he'll be a much happier dad if he's paying insurance on a used Jeep rather than a brand new one. Besides, maybe you can negotiate him paying for a few mods in place of the higher insurance he'll be forking out on a new Jeep. :dance:

minnesota wrangler 2008 07-13-2013 07:21 AM

I waited almost twenty years to get a new buy used and have fun trust me

Sucker Punch 07-13-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neral22 (Post 3956711)
Never lease.... Never.....

THIS!!:facepalm:

Bmill 07-13-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3955857)
I wouldn't just because of the price. Most people wreck or otherwise tear up their first car, meaning a piece of crap beater is better. That said, I've been driving for 10 years and have never wrecked anything. Just takes a little intelligence and luck!

Even an old, beater of a jeep, will cost 3 times as much as a typical beater car. A YJ in decent visual shape with a shackle lift and 33s, and bent frame, is $8000 around here. Freakin insane. Anything else would be $1500 around here.

But...Jeeps are cool. I almost got a YJ for my first car. That was in 06, so the JK wasnt even out yet, and TJs were still too new for me to get ahold of. YJs were just kind of sort of in reach. I got an oldsmobile 88 instead. :(

You need to be really careful in the winter though. The 4x4 system gets such great traction in the winter that it'll make you over confident and then you wreck because you're going too fast to stop. It does not stop any better than any other vehicle. But it's just about impossible to get a jeep stuck on the road.

I would definitely not get a new one. I wouldn't even get a new one for myself right now. I bought an 08 back in february or so.

A hard top is NOT neccessary. The soft top can handle being covered with 2+ feet of snow just fine. Hell, mine was buried in snow before i test drove it, couldn't even see it LOL. 2 feet on the roof. just fine. However, you can't flex the windows very much at all in the winter. They'll break. It makes it really difficult to put anything in the back of the jeep.

You don't need an engine block heater unless it's a diesel. But it'd be nice to have.

Insurance is cheaper on jeeps than you would expect. They're very safe. You're going to be shafted on it though at your age.

You're going to regret not getting AC. The top is fairly difficult to raise and lower, and it's not worth the hassle for when you *know* its going to rain. And what if its hot and raining?

I've had my top down and doors off for 3 days right now though. :) Great weather. Watch the forecasts if you leave the top down.

This.

Aeschylus 07-13-2013 08:08 AM

My first vehicle was a 1500$ used S10 pickup. I beat the hell out of that thing doing what teenagers do. I wanted a Jeep Wrangler badly, but they were just too expensive and not practical for the driving I was doing at the time.

In retrospect, it was the best thing I could have done.

Now that I have that Jeep, I have the time and money to do exactly what I want and pretty much when I want.

cloverbagkid 07-13-2013 08:10 AM

I got my 94 sahara as my first vehicle, I was looking for months before i saw the right one, had my dad drive me 2 hours to go look at it. I believe i got an excellent deal on it. Just keep looking for a good deal, do not rush anything. My brother used to buy his cars just because he wanted a car and he is now on vehicle #9 because he always rushed into buying a car and they were all problems, hes 23. As soon as i got a jeep a month later he got one, hes never been happier with a vehicle. Just don't rush anything

dfletemier 07-13-2013 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Could be a scam but looks like a good deal to me

lolpetewtf 07-13-2013 08:57 AM

Why does that look like a scam? looks legit to me. It will be long sold by the time you're ready to buy one. I'd wait it out and look at YJs instead.

Buy a 4x4 quad - it might hold you over :thumb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.