Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Rugged Ridge Mesh Grille Insert - Paint Peeling! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rugged-ridge-mesh-grille-insert-paint-peeling-255408.html)

Postmon 07-12-2013 09:15 PM

Rugged Ridge Mesh Grille Insert - Paint Peeling!

Just received it and the paint is already peeling right out of the box before I could even install it! How have they held up for those who've had them on for a while? I'm thinking I might go the DIY route if these aren't going to last.

Peter T 07-12-2013 09:35 PM

I have had mine through the winter with lots of salt no sign of peeling.

Peter T 07-12-2013 09:40 PM

Attachment 271957

StarBrite 07-12-2013 09:44 PM

Mike has had his on since two days after Christmas. We took it off last week to paint it blue and when I roughed it up before painting, it was still perfect (except for the bug guts". :rofl:)

I'd say return it wherever you bought it and have it replaced. It sounds like it was defective.

Big Fran 07-12-2013 10:28 PM

I went to put mine on 2 weeks ago and it had paint flaking off of it. My son and I still went to put it on and it was about 1/2" to short to cover all the grill openings. I contacted the place I had ordered it from and they got back to me and said RR has been having a bad run of them and they refunded my money. I still have the grill insert in my shed. They asked me to toss it out for them.

ChargerPilot 07-12-2013 10:34 PM

Just got mine and it's peeling too.

isitme 07-13-2013 12:19 AM

Get the rattle can out. It will save you the time of returning them. I had to paint mine after a year anyway.

Lusus_Naturae 07-13-2013 01:49 AM

Are these the grill guards that are supposed to be powdercoated and cost about $150+ or the cheaper ones?

StarBrite 07-13-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 3957064)
Are these the grill guards that are supposed to be powdercoated and cost about $150+ or the cheaper ones?

The Rugged Ridge grill is (I don't think there are two) about $50 on amazon.com.

Postmon 07-13-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isitme (Post 3956895)
Get the rattle can out. It will save you the time of returning them. I had to paint mine after a year anyway.

Unless you strip off the original paint, isn't it just going to peel off?

Postmon 07-13-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBrite (Post 3957316)
The Rugged Ridge grill is (I don't think there are two) about $50 on amazon.com.

Yes, it's the $50 ones. But, I did see some RR stainless steel ones somewhere that are more expensive.

StarBrite 07-13-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postmon (Post 3957319)
Unless you strip off the original paint, isn't it just going to peel off?

I tried to sand ours before I sprayed it blue. The finish didn't want to come off with a wire brush or the sanding block. It didn't seem like the finish was going anywhere to me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postmon (Post 3957322)
Yes, it's the $50 ones. But, I did see some RR stainless steel ones somewhere that are more expensive.

Sorry, I haven't seen/heard about those. Are they painted on top of stainless? Maybe I'll change my mind if/when I have to fix, but I just can't see paying for stainless and cover with spray paint.

Postmon 07-13-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarBrite (Post 3957342)
Sorry, I haven't seen/heard about those. Are they painted on top of stainless? Maybe I'll change my mind if/when I have to fix, but I just can't see paying for stainless and cover with spray paint.

Rugged Ridge, Mesh Grille Insert, Stainless Steel 11401.21

Aeschylus 07-13-2013 09:16 AM

I have only had mine installed for a few weeks now, but it was pristine out of the box.

The area that was cut for the hood lock has held up well (no rusting) with just a single application of black automotive touch up paint.

Postmon 07-13-2013 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Everytime I touch it, more paint flakes off!

Attachment 272099

kik 07-13-2013 09:52 AM

Invest in a Metalcrafters stainless steel black powdercoated mesh grill and you'll never have to worry about it or touch it again. If you look at it as an investment to the thousands you already spent, the higher price tag for an exponential increase in quality and fit is negligible. If you spend $50 you're getting $10 worth of quality.

Peter T 07-13-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeschylus (Post 3957473)
I have only had mine installed for a few weeks now, but it was pristine out of the box.

The area that was cut for the hood lock has held up well (no rusting) with just a single application of black automotive touch up paint.

I also used a dremmal tool to cut out for the morpar hood lock gave it a shot of black paint. No signs of peeling or rust. Must be a bad batch.

THW 07-13-2013 06:29 PM

I just got mine from amazon. It was as bad as it gets- paint was peeling, exposing rusted metal underneath; too short (didn't fully cover the last grille slot); out of shape; hardware was just scattered in the box. What a piece of crap.

I still prefer this design over the DIY method because I'd rather use bolts than zipties. Is there any other option out there that bolts in, and isn't just utter chinese crap?

THW 07-13-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THW (Post 3958745)
I just got mine from amazon. It was as bad as it gets- paint was peeling, exposing rusted metal underneath; too short (didn't fully cover the last grille slot); out of shape; hardware was just scattered in the box. What a piece of crap.

I still prefer this design over the DIY method because I'd rather use bolts than zipties. Is there any other option out there that bolts in, and isn't just utter chinese crap?

P.S. I should add "that doesn't cost $300?"

THW 07-13-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postmon (Post 3957536)
Everytime I touch it, more paint flakes off!

Attachment 272099

It's because they painted over rust. You can see it in your photo. Rugged Ridge should be ashamed to put their name on this trash (not that their name is worth much anyway).

JBADV 07-20-2013 10:21 PM

First one I ordered was complete crap , the paint just fell off it. The mesh under the paint was rusted. I say paint because I have never seen powdercoat that thin. Received a second grill to replace the "defective" first one. About the same quality. Paint falling off and rusted metal. Time to spend more on a good product , or go to the hardware store.

Lusus_Naturae 07-20-2013 10:57 PM

Here's that high dollar one I mentioned. Rugged Ridge 11401.30 - Rugged Ridge Billet Grille Inserts in Black for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

kappaknight 07-20-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 3957547)
Invest in a Metalcrafters stainless steel black powdercoated mesh grill and you'll never have to worry about it or touch it again. If you look at it as an investment to the thousands you already spent, the higher price tag for an exponential increase in quality and fit is negligible. If you spend $50 you're getting $10 worth of quality.

I honestly wouldn't call anything on the Jeep an investment, unless losing money is a good way to invest.

As for the grill, I'd sand off whatever is flaking, hit it with some etching primer, then black or whatever color on top of it and call it a day. (That is assuming the one you got fits over the entire grill.)

This was one of those MUST HAVE mods when I first got my Jeep and as soon as I put it on, I never gave it another thought. If you do the above and fix the paint, you will never think about it or worry about it again.

ChargerPilot 07-21-2013 09:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The paint was peeling on my Rugged Ridge insert too so I had it glass beaded, primed, and re-painted. Now this weekend I am all ready for the big install, but when I go to install it; I see it doesn't even fit! It doesn't even cover the last opening in the grill (see photo). Did I get a defective one or are they all like this?

Postmon 07-21-2013 09:55 AM

OP here. I wound up returning it. Not worth the effort for me to sand it down, paint it, etc. I think I'm going to go the vinyl gutter guard approach.

Big Fran 07-21-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerPilot (Post 3986413)
The paint was peeling on my Rugged Ridge insert too so I had it glass beaded, primed, and re-painted. Now this weekend I am all ready for the big install, but when I go to install it; I see it doesn't even fit! It doesn't even cover the last opening in the grill (see photo). Did I get a defective one or are they all like this?

Mine fit just like that. I was refunded for it and asked to toss it in the trash. Now to add mesh to my grille I would have to remove my winch to get my grille out.

panthermark 07-21-2013 10:36 AM

I think mine is peeling a little bit...but if/when it gets bad, I'll hit it with some black paint and call it a day.

fireron 07-21-2013 11:21 AM

Rampage grille insert. In between the RR and Mastercrafter's in price. About $180 so the RR is a better buy IF you want to play manufacturer. The Rampage has an excellent powdercoat finish BTW. Mine is 1 1/2 years old and looks brand new in the AZ sun.

damndirtydog 07-21-2013 11:32 AM

Yep that's typical of Rugged Ridge products. I emailed the company and they said that it would be covered under their 3 yr warranty but they want you to return it to the store where u bought it. Needless to say I was out of luck for my brake light brush Guards and windshield light mounts. I pulled Light mounts off and repainted myself. The brush Gaurds will be next. I wanted the RR hood latches but I'll bet they'll peel after awhile too, so went with Drake's.
With RR products.....keep the receipt.

THW 07-22-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerPilot (Post 3986413)

Mine had this exact fitment issue. I read about others having the same problem too. You are not alone!