Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Grill inserts - effects of reduced windflow? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/grill-inserts-effects-of-reduced-windflow-255472.html)

BleedsGreen 07-13-2013 07:54 AM

Grill inserts - effects of reduced windflow?

I've seen a lot of threads about grill inserts, both DIY and the purchased goods. And I agree they look fantastic, but has anybody have any information on how much they reduce airflow through the grill?

I know its kinda an extreme case, but I don't want to make my cooling system work overtime for a little bit of bling. Or have something without a temp gauge like my trans overheat.

On a related note has anyone noticed a difference in mileage? Considering the Wrangler has the aerodynamic profile of a brick I would be surprised if a little mesh mattered, but I am curious.

Martin10 07-13-2013 08:02 AM

I would not worry about reduced airflow at all. If you were able to hook one of those inserts up to a flow bench I doubt you could measure ANY difference with or without it. It is mesh after all.

blkrubi88 07-13-2013 08:13 AM

My TJ ran at 210 before my home made inserts and runs at 210 after home made inserts.

Raiderfan001 07-13-2013 08:26 AM

It's been a non-issue for me and mine is I think more restrictive than most mesh ones.

kik 07-13-2013 08:41 AM

It's a non issue. For the most part, every other vehicle manufactured has a grill insert/covering of some sort for protection. It actually should be installed from the factory, but I guess it keeps the cost down. It's probably one of the best mods you can do for protection and appearance. There is no affect on cooling. In fact, it can only increase cooling efficiency by keeping foreign material out of the cooling vents of the radiator. Plus, it will deflect any road hazard from damaging the radiator.

BleedsGreen 07-13-2013 09:37 AM

Thanks for the responses and the information everyone!

Raziel 07-13-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 3957528)
It's a non issue. For the most part, every other vehicle manufactured has a grill insert/covering of some sort for protection. It actually should be installed from the factory, but I guess it keeps the cost down. It's probably one of the best mods you can do for protection and appearance. There is no affect on cooling. In fact, it can only increase cooling efficiency by keeping foreign material out of the cooling vents of the radiator. Plus, it will deflect any road hazard from damaging the radiator.

This! I made my own. Not for looks, but to protect the cores from damage. Getting rocks, twigs, bugs, & the like in there isn't good. Sure,i will still get smaller bugs in there, but alot of stuff wil stay out.

StarBrite 07-13-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raziel (Post 3957758)
This! I made my own. Not for looks, but to protect the cores from damage. Getting rocks, twigs, bugs, & the like in there isn't good. Sure,i will still get smaller bugs in there, but alot of stuff wil stay out.

We lined the inside of our grill insert with a piece of window screening. Lets the air in, keeps the bugs out! :thumb:

Aseventyfive 09-07-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 (Post 3957487)
It's been a non-issue for me and mine is I think more restrictive than most mesh ones.

Did you make your grill insert yourself?

michiganadam 09-07-2013 06:28 AM

I would be more concerned about reduced rock flow.

The jk is the only vehicle on the market that i am aware of with no radiator rock flow reduction device. I also own a truck with a 12 liter turbodiesel engine which came with a rock flow reduction device from the factory. And i think that 12 liter needs all the airflow it can when its pulling an 80,000 lb truck up a mountain ;)

Raziel 09-07-2013 03:01 PM

I've seen some vehicles that are wide open in the front with no grills, the same as our jeeps. It's really sad that they are like that. I want protection for my radiator units.

On the more air flow. You can always put fans on the outer side to blow & the inner ones will suck. Extra cooling!

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 4364553)
I would be more concerned about reduced rock flow.

The jk is the only vehicle on the market that i am aware of with no radiator rock flow reduction device. I also own a truck with a 12 liter turbodiesel engine which came with a rock flow reduction device from the factory. And i think that 12 liter needs all the airflow it can when its pulling an 80,000 lb truck up a mountain ;)

michiganadam 09-08-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raziel (Post 4373305)
I've seen some vehicles that are wide open in the front with no grills, the same as our jeeps. It's really sad that they are like that. I want protection for my radiator units.

On the more air flow. You can always put fans on the outer side to blow & the inner ones will suck. Extra cooling!

You dont need that. You have one hell of a fan from the factory.

If you want to improve cooling get an aftermarket transmission cooler.

Even my hyundai has a mesh there. Seriously, the cheapest crappiest sounding brand name. Seriously, the door panels are just hard plastic.

laollis 09-08-2013 06:35 PM

I have the RR ones and love them, and good looking also. No air flow problems at all. Easy to install too.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...618_132526.jpg

Aseventyfive 09-08-2013 06:41 PM

Any tj's have pics of a mesh grille?

StizzoFoShizzo 09-08-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laollis (Post 4402145)
I have the RR ones and love them, and good looking also. No air flow problems at all. Easy to install too.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/y...618_132526.jpg

Just installed the exact same ones on mine this weekend!

Johnny6 09-08-2013 07:12 PM

Wish I would have put these inserts on mine. I drove through a nasty hail storm the other day and really banged up my radiator.