Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   painting side steps - need advice (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/painting-side-steps-need-advice-255514.html)

huskersdave 07-13-2013 12:22 PM

painting side steps - need advice
 
1 Attachment(s)
I am currently plati-dipping my flares and was looking for advice on the side steps. has anyone plasti-dipped them? Kind or worried that the paint would flake off quickly with use.

They get used and I think they look good, so they will be staying on the jeep. Now that everything else is touched up, these will stand out.

I will be painting the milk jugs too. Tried to take them off to paint them but I have one stripped screw and one that won't budge.

used advice on here to paint the flares :thumb::cool:

OhSixTJ 07-13-2013 12:37 PM

I bed lined mine. I liked the texture it had and felt like it would prevent me from slipping off of it and busting my ass if it was wet.

RevCo666 07-13-2013 12:38 PM

Due to wear and tear (constant usage) painting sidesteps won't work. What I would recommend is trying something like penetrol (commonly used for hard top fading) which might work. Bedlining them also is an alternative as stated above but again, unless its a thick coarse lining, it won't be a permanent solution. As for the milk jugs, why not just remove them and put end caps on them all?

unlimitedsoldier 07-13-2013 09:55 PM

had a buddy of mine plasti dip his side steps on his 08 JK and they still look great to this day after being on there for about a year. they have been through alot of off roading and also the works at a car was so his jeep goes through a car wash system with pressure washers everyday and the plasti dipped side steps still look like they did the day he did them.

id plasti dip them if it was my call. cheap way to restore them!!

RevCo666 07-13-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedsoldier (Post 3959459)
had a buddy of mine plasti dip his side steps on his 08 JK and they still look great to this day after being on there for about a year. they have been through alot of off roading and also the works at a car was so his jeep goes through a car wash system with pressure washers everyday and the plasti dipped side steps still look like they did the day he did them.

id plasti dip them if it was my call. cheap way to restore them!!

You might be right but I was thinking on the premise of harsh winters and salt ect against plasti-dip'in surfaces.

unlimitedsoldier 07-13-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3959509)
You might be right but I was thinking on the premise of harsh winters and salt ect against plasti-dip'in surfaces.

Understandable, i dont know really how it would hold up in Harsh winters because im in north carolina but for salt it should be fine because we took our jeeps to the beach almost every weekend last summer and this summer. But the harsh winter is another subject out of my league :surrender:

RevCo666 07-13-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedsoldier (Post 3959548)
Understandable, i dont know really how it would hold up in Harsh winters because im in north carolina but for salt it should be fine because we took our jeeps to the beach almost every weekend last summer and this summer. But the harsh winter is another subject out of my league :surrender:

Yeah, it gets brutal up here for winters (no word of a lie)... So far last winter was my first time with the jeep, handled quite well except for a one close/slow motion call coming down a hill(didn't factor in the dead weigh of a jeep). Cosmetically holding really well. For things like side steps, I just leave em be and plus to get a can of plasti-dip(which cost like double-triple US prices) its not worth it for me. I don't even know how my stock bumper paint job will hold up next winter :/

Definately, climate is a factor regardless the project.

Nissantech 07-13-2013 10:30 PM

I used a cheap bed liner rattle can on my flares and sliders and I step on them alot and they look great still, but if you say your boys steps still look great I would use that. You will get alot of opinions on this forum, but if you have seen it first hand then that's what I would make my decisions off of.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.