Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   North Carolina Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/)
-   -   Uwharrie Training Course 4WD - 101 Training (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f73/uwharrie-training-course-4wd-101-training-255765.html)

arctic318 07-14-2013 04:35 PM

Uwharrie Training Course 4WD - 101 Training

I'm looking for feedback on the Uwharrie 4wd training course Scott Fields hosts. I have zero off-road experience with jeeps but years of ATV experience (I understand obstacles, getting hung-up etc.). It's $225 for the day and wondering if it's worth it considering I may only going to Uwharrie a couple times a year (need to find a group to educate the new guy). Any feedback is appreciated. My jeep is stock so I want to get out in the woods to see what I really need as it's my DD and I can't wreck it. Thanks!

GreenRubi 07-14-2013 05:03 PM

I don't know much about the Uwharrie 4wd training course, but I just checked out their facebook site and it looks pretty interesting. If you are brand new to wheeling it could be well worth the $225. Their site says that includes 10 hours total of instruction, freebees, lunch and a trail ride.

There are several trails at Uwharrie you can do in a stock jeep without any issues. For example, Wolf Den, Falls Dam, Slab Pile and Sawmill. Another option is to go out to Uwharrie with a group from the forum. It wouldn't cost you anything and you could get tips and advice from the more experienced wheelers in the group.

For your first trip I would try to go out there when it is dry. It has been wet a lot this summer and Uwharrie is more challenging when it is wet.

Riccochet 07-15-2013 05:06 AM

My advice, from someone that's spent some time and money in Uwharrie, is to wait till it dries out. I see you have a stock JKU. Even Wolf Den trail will be near impossible for someone with no skill when it's wet. If you don't hit the up-overs properly you'll high center, slide off or get stuck. Uwharrie is a slick, sticky mud mess when it rains. It's hard for people with highly modified Jeeps to navigate even the easy trails.

I suggest waiting out this rain and then taking the course or go with some fellow Jeepers from the forum.

PeteQuad 07-15-2013 02:59 PM

I'm waiting on a 2014 and it will be my first jeep and I really wasn't planning to do much off-roading except the odd dirt trail now and again. But after spending time on the forum I am developing a real interest in at least trying it out.

Do you think there'd be any issue with bringing my wife and two small kids (7 and 8) to Uwharrie when it dries out, to try one of the easy trails? I am getting a 2-door Sahara.

mello03 07-21-2013 08:21 AM

I've done Scott's class and its very good and informative. I think it's worth the money. There's classroom in the morning and driving, basic winching, recovery, and trails etc in the afternoon. It's geared towards someone with limited offroad experience. I have a good amount of knowledge and still learned some stuff. Scott and Ben are both VERY knowledgeable and do things the right way.

Stevenkrans 07-23-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteQuad (Post 3964958)
I'm waiting on a 2014 and it will be my first jeep and I really wasn't planning to do much off-roading except the odd dirt trail now and again. But after spending time on the forum I am developing a real interest in at least trying it out.

Do you think there'd be any issue with bringing my wife and two small kids (7 and 8) to Uwharrie when it dries out, to try one of the easy trails? I am getting a 2-door Sahara.

I took mine in a stock 2000 Sahara. No sweat...go with someone is preferred.

Redneck grrrl 07-24-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello03 (Post 3986376)
I've done Scott's class and its very good and informative. I think it's worth the money. There's classroom in the morning and driving, basic winching, recovery, and trails etc in the afternoon. It's geared towards someone with limited offroad experience. I have a good amount of knowledge and still learned some stuff. Scott and Ben are both VERY knowledgeable and do things the right way.

I took this class with Scott and Ben as well in April of this year. Money WELL SPENT on education and not replacing for fixing a break because you did'nt know any better. --- Lisa

daddyo123 08-06-2013 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck grrrl (Post 3998357)

i took this class with scott and ben as well in april of this year. Money well spent on education and not replacing for fixing a break because you did'nt know any better. --- lisa

Attachment 282326