Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What can i do for $500? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-can-i-do-for-500-a-255861.html)

orange_sport_4.0 07-14-2013 11:16 PM

What can i do for $500?
 
Here's my jeep. It's an '01 sport with brand new 31's, American racing rims, banks exhaust, k&n cold air intake, manik grill guard, and JL audio sound. I was thinking about either a 3.25" rough country BB or a 2.5 BB with a 1" BL. Or maybe a bumper and winch. Any suggestions for what to do with my money? I don't want flares cause they're coming soon.



Attachment 272893



Attachment 272894



Attachment 272895



Attachment 272896



Attachment 272897

jguyett 07-14-2013 11:24 PM

Used winch! And love that color

rdock31 07-14-2013 11:25 PM

I'd say a nice 1.25" BL and MML. This will be a good set up for your 31s until they wear out. This will also be good if you ever plan to install a TT down the road, or paired with a smaller SL will eliminate the likelihood for vibes.

orange_sport_4.0 07-14-2013 11:48 PM

Thanks. It's just so tempting to throw a cheaper SL on it right now. The original coil springs are sagging a lot right now. And thanks about the color comment. I hardly ever see that color orange. I love it.

rdock31 07-15-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange_sport_4.0 (Post 3963096)
Thanks. It's just so tempting to throw a cheaper SL on it right now. The original coil springs are sagging a lot right now. And thanks about the color comment. I hardly ever see that color orange. I love it.

I know what you're saying.. When I first got my jeep I wanted to get a lift right away. So I went with the RC 2.5" even though I read that it wasn't the greatest. I wasn't happy with it at all due to the ride and quality (sagging) so I removed it and now I'm going to install my 2" BDS (OK4wd.com $394 and free shipping) pretty soon. I'm going to add a 1.25" BLand mml to net around 3.25. You're going to get pros/cons likes/dislikes about every kit out there besides the "unanimous" favorites like OME or currie. Just read up on everything thoroughly before you decide.

OmniscientHiers 07-15-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jguyett (Post 3963052)
Used winch! And love that color

x2, can never go wrong with recovery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3963060)
I'd say a nice 1.25" BL and MML. This will be a good set up for your 31s until they wear out. This will also be good if you ever plan to install a TT down the road, or paired with a smaller SL will eliminate the likelihood for vibes.

Excellent idea also. Don't impulse buy, always research first.

Ironhead Jed 07-15-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3963115)
I know what you're saying.. When I first got my jeep I wanted to get a lift right away. So I went with the RC 2.5" even though I read that it wasn't the greatest. I wasn't happy with it at all due to the ride and quality (sagging) so I removed it and now I'm going to install my 2" BDS (OK4wd.com $394 and free shipping) pretty soon. I'm going to add a 1.25" BLand mml to net around 3.25. You're going to get pros/cons likes/dislikes about every kit out there besides the "unanimous" favorites like OME or currie. Just read up on everything thoroughly before you decide.

this is great info. whenever i purchase something i think long term. a bl/mml will stay on the vehicle for the rest of its life.

I am also a BDS fan and have yet to find anything bad to say about their springs.

btw, I have a stock airbox if you want to get away from that K&N intake.

JakeBreen 07-15-2013 08:05 AM

With $500? I'd get a 4" kit, and then save some more and buy 33 12.5. Man, your Jeep is sharp thoe!!! :thumb:

michiganadam 07-15-2013 08:15 AM

How can i get $500?

NC Bear 07-15-2013 11:34 AM

I would look at a 2 inch from BDS or a 3 inch if you think you will want to go larger in tires.
Or you could look at a body lift mml and set yourself up for a Tummy Tuck this will get you a long way off road

lastly would be on board air from VIAR.

and with monies left over you could jump on a set of crown vic coils or XJ coils to put on the front and give you a little more clearance for your tires. IIRC, this will level out your Jeep.

orange_sport_4.0 07-15-2013 12:08 PM

Thanks, guys. I think that I will go with a MML and BL combo, and then buy a smittybilt classic bumper.

Dextreme 07-15-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange_sport_4.0 (Post 3964440)
Thanks, guys. I think that I will go with a MML and BL combo, and then buy a smittybilt classic bumper.

1-1/4" Body Lift J9120
http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=449&gr=-1

Ole4Cyli 07-15-2013 01:13 PM

Get some nice rock-sliders! They look aggressive and you'll still have a good amount to play with after. :)

phrak 07-15-2013 01:21 PM

Is there an acronym thread somewhere? I have no idea what all these abbreviations mean...

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 01:29 PM

Armor up...gas tank skid, rocker guards, etc.

Lunchbox locker for the front.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phrak (Post 3964663)
Is there an acronym thread somewhere? I have no idea what all these abbreviations mean...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/acr...etc-37459.html

phrak 07-15-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 3964698)

Thank you sir..

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phrak (Post 3964707)
Thank you sir..

:thumb:

orange_sport_4.0 07-15-2013 03:49 PM

Has anybody had any experience with the smittybilt classic front bumper?

rdock31 07-15-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange_sport_4.0 (Post 3965160)
Has anybody had any experience with the smittybilt classic front bumper?

Not the front, but I have the classic rear and I like it so far. Alot of people say the coating comes off easily, but I have not seen that with mine.. Though it's only been on a few months. One thing about smitty is the products are pretty heavy

NJO 07-15-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange_sport_4.0 (Post 3964440)
Thanks, guys. I think that I will go with a MML and BL combo, and then buy a smittybilt classic bumper.

There is no point doing a BL/MML on 31's. No point whatsoever.

If you want to really improve that Jeeps off roading potential. Think about a tummy tuck. The stock "shovel" skid on the TJ is terrible and hangs up on everything. You can do a 2.5" tummy tuck from UCF with a lopro TC mount in your budget. In reality a 2.5" tuck is equal to 2.5" suspension lift considering your breakover angle on your vehicle as it sits right now is the big constraining point on its off road worthiness.

Mom sold the Jeepster 07-15-2013 04:54 PM

X2 on the lunchbox locker up front,

rdock31 07-15-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3965361)
There is no point doing a BL/MML on 31's. No point whatsoever.

If you want to really improve that Jeeps off roading potential. Think about a tummy tuck. The stock "shovel" skid on the TJ is terrible and hangs up on everything. You can do a 2.5" tummy tuck from UCF with a lopro TC mount in your budget. In reality a 2.5" tuck is equal to 2.5" suspension lift considering your breakover angle on your vehicle as it sits right now is the big constraining point on its off road worthiness.

If I remember correctly, you stated in a few other threads that a BL and MML is a good start with 31s to give it a more aggressive look and to set up for the TT and everything else down the road. And it keeps it within the budget of the OP.

NJO 07-15-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdock31 (Post 3965535)
If I remember correctly, you stated in a few other threads that a BL and MML is a good start with 31s to give it a more aggressive look and to set up for the TT and everything else down the road. And it keeps it within the budget of the OP.

I know I have, but I think some of those threads also involved people potentially running 33's in the near future.

I get the impression here that the OP is sticking with 31's.

But yes you are correct on past statements of mine.

If the OP can stretch his budget a few hundred bucks(beneficial bonus), then his best bang for the buck would be to do the BL/MML AND tummy tuck all in one shot. But that is going to put him in the 6-700 buck range. BUt if he can stretch it, he can get a 3.5" tuck instead of a 2.5" tuck. That would be optimal. To do this he would need BL($125, steering riser bracket $50, MML $100, LoPro mount $125, 3.5" ultra high clearance skid $250).......so $650 in total. If the OP can stretch his budget to that, he would get a killer bang for the buck upgrade.

Ironhead Jed 07-15-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3965651)
If the OP can stretch his budget a few hundred bucks(beneficial bonus), then his best bang for the buck would be to do the BL/MML AND tummy tuck all in one shot. But that is going to put him in the 6-700 buck range. BUt if he can stretch it, he can get a 3.5" tuck instead of a 2.5" tuck. That would be optimal. To do this he would need BL($125, steering riser bracket $50, MML $100, LoPro mount $125, 3.5" ultra high clearance skid $250).......so $650 in total. If the OP can stretch his budget to that, he would get a killer bang for the buck upgrade.

that would probably open a new can of worms requiring SYE/CV-DS, and adjustable control arms. that would raise it another $750 at a minimum

NJO 07-15-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3965657)
that would probably open a new can of worms requiring SYE/CV-DS, and adjustable control arms. that would raise it another $750 at a minimum

No, it would not require it. The MML raises up the engine an inch, the Lopro mount drops the TC by about an inch.......the net rear output would only be up about 1.5" inches which will not cause vibes and not require a SYE/DS........plus its already been done by a few ppl on JF and pirate and no one has had any issues or vibes.

Ironhead Jed 07-15-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3965697)
No, it would not require it. The MML raises up the engine an inch, the Lopro mount drops the TC by about an inch.......the net rear output would only be up about 1.5" inches which will not cause vibes and not require a SYE/DS.

i said probably, not definitely.

and your math is a bit off. yes the mml raises the engine an inch at the mounts, the trans mount would not be raised due to the mml. tc output will be lowered slightly, but not an inch as the tc output is much closer to the pivot point than the mml blocks. and if we are doing things the correct way, what i said is true. it is 100% true if the op wants to add any sort of spring lift in the future

i agree that it is a good idea and i have done it myself, but it is not a for sure thing that a mml will be enough to stop vibes when raising the TC 2.5"

for that reason, i had the rear control arms already installed and ordered a new DS as soon as i finished the skid install and got measurements

NJO 07-15-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3965719)
i said probably, not definitely.

and your math is a bit off. yes the mml raises the engine an inch at the mounts, the trans mount would not be raised due to the mml. tc output will be lowered slightly, but not an inch as the tc output is much closer to the pivot point than the mml blocks. and if we are doing things the correct way, what i said is true. it is 100% true if the op wants to add any sort of spring lift in the future

i agree that it is a good idea and i have done it myself, but it is not a for sure thing that a mml will be enough to stop vibes when raising the TC 2.5"

for that reason, i had the rear control arms already installed and ordered a new DS as soon as i finished the skid install and got measurements

The math is actually correct. With the MML and LoPro combined the rear TC output only sits up about 1-1.5" higher than stock.

Gotta realize even though the stock shovel hangs a little over 4" lower than the frame, the original TC OEM mount keeps the TC case about 1.5" off the bottom of the stock skid. SO even though your going to a nearly flat pan skid that is 3.5" shallower, when you use the new lopro mount the rear output only sits up about an inch and a half higher than stock. With a 1" MML up front the F/R bias between the MML and TC mount is well under an inch which is negligible.

This combo has already been done by a number of other forum members and no one has ever reported back with any vibes........nor will you because the rear output of the TC case and the yoke at the rear axle are still basically parallel to each other which is what you want.

phrak 07-15-2013 08:06 PM

You guys are killing me with this thread... I have about $650 in a savings account earmarked for something else, but now I'm trying to justify this...

All Terrain JK 07-15-2013 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some numbers for ya.
Stock early TJ.
Tcase skid plate 4" below frame.
Trans mount xmember 2 3/4" below frame.
Trans mount 1 3/4" thick.
Actual trans mount bracket height =1" below frame rails.
Measurements from my son's 2000 TJ.

Attachment 273284

Early TJ with UCF ultra high skid and Lowpro mount.
Tcase skid 1" below frame.
Trans mount xmember 1/4" from frame.
Lowpro trans mount 1".
Actual trans mount bracket height = 3/4" above frame rails.
Measurements taken from my '98 TJ.


Attachment 273291

Height difference from stock to UCF ultra high and lowpro = UCF equipped is 1 3/4" higher than stock at trans mount bracket.
I don't have a MML so I cannot account for that. I do know that a 1" MML will not net 1" drop at the output shaft of the tcase due to the pivot point at the trans mount. It will however help the angles a bit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.