Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Transmission won't pull in a bind.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/transmission-wont-pull-in-a-bind-255907.html)

Andygoswick 07-15-2013 08:53 AM

Transmission won't pull in a bind..

I have a 2004 RME Jeep Wrangler. I love the jeep and yesterday, I took it out on the rocks to see what she could do along with climbing hills etc. I noticed as I pulled the hills, the rpm went up very high but the wheels weren't "moving" as fast as I thought they should. In other words, the rpm was high yet it wasn't moving that fast. Occasionally it seemed like I could smell a little burn of the transmission but went through the trails, rocks and hills with same result-success.. However, I had gotten myself on some rocks and I tried to back up in 4 Low, it wouldn't move.. the rpm was high and I even pressed the accelerator to the floor just to make sure it didn't need a little "help," and nothing.. Wheels didn't spin and the jeep barely moved at all..

Needless to say, we worked around it and ended up going forward but my question is, what is up with my transmission?? I have the Dana 44, 3.73 gears I assume, with 33X12.50X15 inch tires and it seemed like a huge struggle when put in a bind.. I don't want to burn up my transmission and this is my first "true" jeep and jeep experience.. What's my next step or any ideas on what to do??

Shelby427 07-15-2013 09:25 AM

Well since you didn't say what type trans you have, here goes.

If it's a manual, it's time to look at the clutch, as it appears yours is on it's way out.

If it's an auto, almost sounds like it's time for a rebuild.

In either case it's slipping.

Andygoswick 07-15-2013 10:43 AM

I do apologize Shelby.. It's an automatic and I believe it has the 42 series transmission?? I'm new to knowing the numbers on the transmission I apologize.. It drives fine and I can't feel the slip if it is in fact slipping, but that doesn't mean it's not. So the strain it's showing going up the hill in the high RPM and the fact it moved very little when it was straddling the rocks, you think the trans maybe slipping? I hope not, we have to get tires and wheels and that's $1400 at least.. if it needs it-it needs it..

jickey 07-15-2013 12:11 PM

Maybe you should bring it somewhere closer to "home" so we can officially test it out and see what's wrong ;)

Jerry Bransford 07-15-2013 12:24 PM

Were you on an exceptionally steep surface when this happened? If so, your transmission's ATF level might be too low which can allow the transmission to suck air instead of ATF which will make it slip/feel like it's in Neutral. Make sure to check the ATF in the proper manner... the engine must (!) be running and up to normal operating temperature, and the transmission must be in either Park or Neutral. You can verify this in your owner's manual. If you find you need to add ATF to bring it up to the Full mark, make sure to only add ATF+4. If the front label doesn't say ATF+4, it's not the right stuff. :)

s14sh3r 07-15-2013 12:55 PM

How's the condition of the fluid? If it smells or looks burnt, you need to change the fluid and filter ASAP.

Andygoswick 07-15-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jickey (Post 3964458)
Maybe you should bring it somewhere closer to "home" so we can officially test it out and see what's wrong ;)

So funny that I saw your name on the forum and thought to myself: 1-if that's not Jason, then someone has his nickname.. 2-that's got to be Jason!! Lol.. I was just waiting to make sure.. :).

Yea I may have a transmission issue but I'm not totally sure yet.. I'm about to follow the forum's advice and do a clean/purge of my transmission w/filter just to make sure.. I believe my fluid is fine but it is a repo so there's no telling what has been done to it.. :)

Andygoswick 07-15-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s14sh3r (Post 3964596)
How's the condition of the fluid? If it smells or looks burnt, you need to change the fluid and filter ASAP.

It seems to be fine Jeeper but I'm not totally sure. It was a repo so I'm actually not sure what has or hasn't been done with to it.. So to make sure, I'll probably change the transmission fluid and filter along with gasket just to make sure it's all good.. Along with that, I'll probably do a transmission flush to make sure all the stuff before is washed out..

Andygoswick 07-15-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3964498)
Were you on an exceptionally steep surface when this happened? If so, your transmission's ATF level might be too low which can allow the transmission to suck air instead of ATF which will make it slip/feel like it's in Neutral. Make sure to check the ATF in the proper manner... the engine must (!) be running and up to normal operating temperature, and the transmission must be in either Park or Neutral. You can verify this in your owner's manual. If you find you need to add ATF to bring it up to the Full mark, make sure to only add ATF+4. If the front label doesn't say ATF+4, it's not the right stuff. :)

Thanks Jerry and I'll be sure to do that.. I'm going to do a flush, filter and fluid change to make sure since it's a repo.. No telling what has been done to it or what its been through..

jickey 07-15-2013 05:01 PM

Yep - when you get that transmission fixed up, bring her over and we'll hit some of the familiar old trails!

Andygoswick 07-15-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jickey (Post 3965394)
Yep - when you get that transmission fixed up, bring her over and we'll hit some of the familiar old trails!

That would make me happy and thrilled!!