Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Water crossing. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/water-crossing-255937.html)

Jared66 07-15-2013 10:36 AM

Water crossing.

Need a list of must do's. To bullet proof a jk for deep water crossings.

-Breather extension ( diffs, transfer case for Manuel's / + tranny for auto)
-Snorkel
-?

Metonymy 07-15-2013 11:25 AM

Duct tape the door seams from the outside and jump through a rolled down window. :dance:

Depending on how deep you'll be venturing, I'd personally think about how to keep the electric fan from spinning. (Don't have the answer to that one.)

Ruby Tuesday 07-15-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 3964131)
Need a list of must do's. To bullet proof a jk for deep water crossings.

-Breather extension ( diffs, transfer case for Manuel's / + tranny for auto)
-Snorkel
-STAY OUT OF DEEP WATER!

i fixed your quote for ya :dance:

Rmiller31 07-15-2013 12:06 PM

I agree stay out of deep water unless you just have to.

Theairhead 07-15-2013 12:10 PM

How deep are you planning to go? If you're worried about water getting into your air intake then you'd probably want to do something about water wrecking any electronics. Also water getting inside space between door and body.

labmule 07-15-2013 12:11 PM

What would you consider deep? (no lift 31in wheels)

Rabuck 07-15-2013 12:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 273090

This wasn't deep enough to get water in anything but on through my drain plugs... Had about 4" of water inside the jeep

labmule 07-15-2013 01:31 PM

Right on, thanks. What about transfer case, oil pan, and pumpkin? How well do they hold up?

4grainer 07-15-2013 02:44 PM

I just changed the diff fluid after going through water a little deeper than the above pics. No water in the front diff, but there was some in the rear. Next mood for me, extend breather tubes and use hose clamps.

Jared66 07-15-2013 03:17 PM

I have a 3 inch lift ad 35s on. Extended breathers to base of roll bar at the back of the tub (inside). And then the transfer and front diff to right behind the brake cylinder thing under the hood. But I'm Gunna get a snorkel. And run the breathes Into the box. I'm more worried about electronics. And why would you need to turn your fan off. So it doesn't eff the fan moter? My programmer allows me to turn it off. I want to basicly bullet proof my jeep. I got skids and armor an I'm going to Linex the exterior and interior when I got the cash. I'm building it to last forever and get anywhere kind of idea. So how do I seal the electronics that I gotta seal ect.

Jared66 07-15-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labmule (Post 3964456)
What would you consider deep? (no lift 31in wheels)

Like windshield deep.

Metonymy 07-15-2013 03:19 PM

Yes, so it doesn't burn out the motor. Take a house fan and submerge it halfway in a bathtub of water. Turn it on and watch it fight to spin (and burn itself out).

Metonymy 07-15-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 3965030)
Like windshield deep.

:eek:

Good lord your Jeep would have trouble even getting traction in that deep of water. Air in tires is buoyant. Air inside sealed cab is buoyant.

The Jeep won't "float" per se, but it'll start having troubles getting traction.

DFW6ER 07-15-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metonymy (Post 3965043)
:eek:

Good lord your Jeep would have trouble even getting traction in that deep of water. Air in tires is buoyant. Air inside sealed cab is buoyant.

The Jeep won't "float" per se, but it'll start having troubles getting traction.

Windshield deep will ruin a non marine-grade HU for sure, likely mess with the AC controls, probably mess with the instrument panel/speedo gauges, clockspring, etc.

If the OP wants to drive through really deep water, picking up a used H1 might be the way to go

Tweak 07-15-2013 04:09 PM

Hummer H1 Off Road Driving COMPLETELY Underwater Experience! - YouTube

NFRs2000NYC 07-15-2013 04:14 PM

The JK is not waterproofable. There are too many electronic components. Even if you can save the motor (snorkel) and the drivetrain (breathers) you can't do anything with the electronics. Jeep didn't silicone inject all the boards so you are going to fry all the boards, which will total the jeep. Windshield deep is something for older vehicles that are not computerized. Chrysler put computer modules in pretty bad places. If you are VERY careful, and know what you are doing, you can probably go hood deep, but even that's a stretch. I generally avoid anything that's more than tire deep.

Jared66 07-15-2013 06:26 PM

So what's the point of putting a snorkel on then. If you can't go that deep anyway

Theairhead 07-15-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 3965655)
So what's the point of putting a snorkel on then. If you can't go that deep anyway

Looks. Or when you're deep making sure a wave or wake don't splash into the air box.

Hokieneer 07-15-2013 07:50 PM

if you want to go that deep I recommend one of these!
Deuce and a half fording 6' of water - YouTube

Miser 07-15-2013 08:10 PM

I have a sales Wrangler Brochure for the 2013s. It states that they are designed to handle safely 30 inches of water. It shows a picture of a Wrangler driving in 30 inches of water.
This Brochure is from Chrysler/Jeep.:D

hooper 07-15-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miser (Post 3966144)
I have a sales Wrangler Brochure for the 2013s. It states that they are designed to handle safely 30 inches of water. It shows a picture of a Wrangler driving in 30 inches of water.
This Brochure is from Chrysler/Jeep.:D

No faster than 5mph

live_slow 07-15-2013 08:27 PM

My view on this is probably similar to everyone else's.

- snorkels are great since they protect from large heavy splashes that might otherwise not cause water problems but may (Murphy's law) get sucked in the intake, or if something unexpected happens, like the font end falls in and you back out or get pulled out (so I want one)

- snorkels are also good for dusty areas, if properly set up for that and they look cool all the damn time (so I want one)

- breather relocation should probably be done on every jeep

- gear oil changes are your friend

As a side note, I don't like the idea of a fan chopping water. If you get a good wave and have a front air dam or skid, ok. I've always wanted to get one of those mid height stinger bumpers and make a tarp the same size as the stinger, complete with gromets for bungie cording it in place. I don't know if it would work any better than eye-balling a wake, but I like to imagine it would work :P

Now here's a video of a JK in water that I happen to like

It's peaceful and all,, like one of them sleepy noise making things or one of them fancy zen fountains.

Jeep JK in water - YouTube

NFRs2000NYC 07-15-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66 (Post 3965655)

Insurance. You can't do what you see on those youtube videos with a JK. If you did this with a JK you would most likely fry all the computers.

carrigans crossing original cut - YouTube

Miser 07-15-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3966605)
Insurance. You can't do what you see on those youtube videos with a JK. If you did this with a JK you would most likely fry all the computers.

carrigans crossing original cut - YouTube

Cool video, would I do that to my Wrangler, no way!:nonono:

I would rather use a boat..:thumb:

NFRs2000NYC 07-15-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miser (Post 3966785)
Cool video, would I do that to my Wrangler, no way!:nonono:

I would rather use a boat..:thumb:

When you gotta cross you gotta cross.

traitor08 07-15-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metonymy (Post 3964301)
Duct tape the door seams from the outside and jump through a rolled down window. :dance:

Depending on how deep you'll be venturing, I'd personally think about how to keep the electric fan from spinning. (Don't have the answer to that one.)

I am just throwing a random thought out, but unplugging would turn fan off.

And to comment on the boat, I haven't seen to many of them drive themselves to the ramp.

Rabuck 07-16-2013 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You might run into something like this if not well prepared for water crossings...

Attachment 273494

hooper 07-17-2013 07:57 AM

You can intall an off/on switch to your electric fan. Just make sure to turn it on after you cross deep water. Deep water to Jeep is over 30" in a stock JK. You should always check the depth of the water/path you plan on taking. Most people have 30" or taller tires so you can use them as a guage. I hope some of the insurance companies deny claims on people who drive the Jeep in deep (30" at less than 5mph in a JK). They are the reason rates are high.

JPi1 07-17-2013 07:59 AM

Rent a boat!

COLOUJK 07-17-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW6ER (Post 3965204)
Windshield deep will ruin a non marine-grade HU for sure, likely mess with the AC controls, probably mess with the instrument panel/speedo gauges, clockspring, etc.

If the OP wants to drive through really deep water, picking up a used H1 might be the way to go

You do know that if you keep moving, even with water that deep you will not get anywhere near that much water inside right?