Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Front Upper Control Arm Brackets (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/front-upper-control-arm-brackets-255938.html)

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 10:39 AM

Front Upper Control Arm Brackets
 
Hey guys,

I am looking for a front upper control arm bracket kit (or separate). This will be for an XJ, but they are identical to TJs as far as bracketry is concerned. Unfortunately, it is easy to find kits that are "universal" accepting a control arm bushing/joint but not so as many choices for axle-end bushing/joints. What have you guys found?

Ironhead Jed 07-15-2013 11:09 AM

XJ/TJ/LJ/MJ FRONT END HOUSING JOHNNY JOINTŪ KIT

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3964252)

Thanks bud, but too rich for my blood. Also, the axle that is going into the cherokee doesnt have any brackets on it, so this cant be used without fabbing something additional up. I also need the diff bracket, not just a replacement bushing/joint.

I need something similar to factory, but stouter. The diff side joint will probably end up consisting of a truss set up since there isnt anything cast into the diff.

NJO 07-15-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 3964283)
Thanks bud, but too rich for my blood. Also, the axle that is going into the cherokee doesnt have any brackets on it, so this cant be used. I also need the diff bracket.

The cast upper diff bracket is gone?

Think this is about as cheap as its going to get: http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/290

Otherwise I think you are going to look at junkyards.

If you were close by to me I would sell you my complete rust free 06' Dana 30 axle which has all the brackets for $75.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3964290)
The cast upper diff bracket is gone?

I am swapping in a HP44 out of a Ford so it was never there.

Ironhead Jed 07-15-2013 11:32 AM

its all in the details, huh NJO...JK

have you thought about custom mounts? maybe a truss?

with all that work, i wouldnt be using the stock brackets

GoldenSahara00 07-15-2013 11:42 AM

He's not asking for stock just stock style.

Have you looked at ruff stuff or ballistic at all con? Although I have heard nightmare stories about ballistic they might have what your looking for.

As for arms are you running stock arms or a bushing both end arm.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3964325)
its all in the details, huh NJO...JK

have you thought about custom mounts? maybe a truss?

with all that work, i wouldnt be using the stock brackets

I don't want stock brackets...just stock-like brackets. The reason being, the cherokee is being built for the Everyman Challenge at KOH. With this, the suspension needs to remain similar to that from the factory. The time it would take to build the brackets isn't really worth it since we are building out of our garage and dont have all of the tools that would make it a 'simple' job.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3964351)
He's not asking for stock just stock style.

Have you looked at ruff stuff or ballistic at all con? Although I have heard nightmare stories about ballistic they might have what your looking for.

As for arms are you running stock arms or a bushing both end arm.

I have looked at ruffstuff...their stuff is more universal link-style stuff.

My buddy looked at Ballistic and said they didnt have them...may have to look myself though.

I checked out poly performance also with no luck.

We have found a kit from rubicon express...but there has to be something else out there. Not that we are against rubicon express, just trying to find more options.

The arms will be factory like...with the bushing being on the axle side.

NJO 07-15-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed (Post 3964325)
its all in the details, huh NJO...JK

have you thought about custom mounts? maybe a truss?

with all that work, i wouldnt be using the stock brackets

Unfortunately the OP didn't give much in terms of details originally, and his budget seems limited for the project, and the assumption is that he doesn't have the means to fab one himself. Didn't know this is a raw swap from a Ford Dana 44.

GoldenSahara00 07-15-2013 11:58 AM

Got ya. Think about contacting artec and see if they have something. They might have the files for the 44 from a custom build or could do one up for you. With a truss and all brackets. Probably not too much. They are a great company to work with. At least shoot them an email and see what they say.

NJO 07-15-2013 12:01 PM

OP, curious, whats the end goal in terms of tire size your going to run to be going with a HD "true" HP44? 37's or larger I assume?

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3964395)
Unfortunately the OP didn't give much in terms of details originally, and his budget seems limited for the project, and the assumption is that he doesn't have the means to fab one himself. Didn't know this is a raw swap from a Ford Dana 44.

We have the 'means' to fab them ourself if necessary...but with the cost of most brackets on the market, it would almost be dumb not to buy them. Between material, fab time, and guesswork...you really cant beat the price of most brackets that you find prefabbed. But a setup for the TJ/XJ front end appears to be pretty limited...thats why I am asking.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3964398)
Got ya. Think about contacting artec and see if they have something. They might have the files for the 44 from a custom build or could do one up for you. With a truss and all brackets. Probably not too much. They are a great company to work with. At least shoot them an email and see what they say.

Not a bad idea, they didnt have anything listed...but custom may be available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJO (Post 3964406)
OP, curious, whats the end goal in terms of tire size your going to run to be going with a HD "true" HP44? 37's or larger I assume?

35s...Everyman challenge stock class limits us to 35s.

GoldenSahara00 07-15-2013 12:39 PM

Yep I would hit up artec and see what they say. I feel like I have seen d44s on their fb page with custom trusses, ram assist steering, brackets, etc. I'm sure they will either have something or offer to build it.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3964554)
Yep I would hit up artec and see what they say. I feel like I have seen d44s on their fb page with custom trusses, ram assist steering, brackets, etc. I'm sure they will either have something or offer to build it.

:thumb:

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 08:00 PM

No luck with artec :crash:

jeffmarion 07-15-2013 09:44 PM

I am running the RE9968 kit from Rubicon express on a HP dana 44. You can buy just the pieces you need, like the truss and upper mounts.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...sbaaeb39a.jpeg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...seef8de8f.jpeg

GoldenSahara00 07-15-2013 10:39 PM

I'm dissapointed in them... haha.

I don't think RE is a bad option, and it's easy enough to beef up the brackets if need be.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 11:20 PM

Ya we werent thinking anything bad about them...just wanted to see if there were any other options out there. Appreciate the input, jeff :thumb:

jeffmarion 07-15-2013 11:31 PM

I did a lot of research when I decided to do this. And the RE kit won out due to cost. In retrospect, I could have gone with the ballistic combo brackets and the RE truss and uppers.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...it_p_1542.html and

Teraflex has one also, but it's $$$$$

| TeraFlex Suspensions

Black Magic Brakes 07-15-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 3967044)
Ya we werent thinking anything bad about them...just wanted to see if there were any other options out there. Appreciate the input, jeff :thumb:

I can help you with that RE style truss if you decide to go that route. (as in serious help) I also have mounts that sit of top of it that are oddly enough, the same width as a lower JJ. :rofl: I can probably even fetch up the little bracket that picks up the diff cover bolts as well since I don't use them.

I'm not sure what RE is doing, but their pricing is a bit out of whack. I needed some new lower control arm brackets for a TJ front axle and I was able to pick up 2 sets of very nice ones from IRO albeit heavier than needed for the same price as 1 set of the thinner ones from RE.

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 11:35 PM

Oh ya ive seen that one...we dont need a whole kit though. We ordered a combo bracket that is lca, spring, shock, and trackbar mount all in one

Cons_Table 07-15-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3967087)

I can help you with that RE style truss if you decide to go that route. (as in serious help) I also have mounts that sit of top of it that are oddly enough, the same width as a lower JJ. :rofl: I can probably even fetch up the little bracket that picks up the diff cover bolts as well since I don't use them.

I'm not sure what RE is doing, but their pricing is a bit out of whack. I needed some new lower control arm brackets for a TJ front axle and I was able to pick up 2 sets of very nice ones from IRO albeit heavier than needed for the same price as 1 set of the thinner ones from RE.

Blaine, ill shoot you a message in the morning because I have some brake stuff to discuss with you concerning the racecar as well

MudTJ 08-17-2013 09:56 PM

Did you ever find a UCA bracket?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.