Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Land Use Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/)
-   -   Trail Camping VA, NC, MD, WV, Wherever (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f116/trail-camping-va-nc-md-wv-wherever-255984.html)

JAK 07-15-2013 01:32 PM

Trail Camping VA, NC, MD, WV, Wherever

Hey all,

I'm in Richmond VA and I want to hop in my jeep with my wife, dog, a tent and supplies and drive out to some remote location (on easyish trails) and camp a night or two. I don't mind a few hours of driving beforehand either.

Any suggestions?

back in the game 07-25-2013 10:23 AM

George Washington National Forest

JAK 07-25-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by back in the game (Post 4001552)
George Washington National Forest

Do you know of any specific trails that are particularly good there/where they are?

tiretrax01 07-25-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAK (Post 3964701)
Hey all,

I'm in Richmond VA and I want to hop in my jeep with my wife, dog, a tent and supplies and drive out to some remote location (on easyish trails) and camp a night or two. I don't mind a few hours of driving beforehand either.

Any suggestions?

Uwharrie National Forest is a good place. I have been there 4 times. They have multiple trails for Jeeps, ATV and motocross. They also have camping. It is a fairly remote location. Bunch of people go there though. I don't know what kind of trail you are looking for but here are a couple that I have taken my Jeep down.
Falls Dam - Flatwoods to Art Lilley - YouTube
Hiking Uwharrie Dickey Bell Sept2012 - YouTube
None of the videos are mine but it will show you what kind of trails to expect. Hope this helps.:action-smiley: My wife has taken her Jeep down Falls Dam Trail.

99fenix 07-25-2013 06:11 PM

just wait until RVA floods again from a storm. I'm sure it will make an awesome urban trail! lol

JAK 07-26-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiretrax01 (Post 4003014)
Uwharrie National Forest is a good place. I have been there 4 times. They have multiple trails for Jeeps, ATV and motocross. They also have camping. It is a fairly remote location. Bunch of people go there though. I don't know what kind of trail you are looking for but here are a couple that I have taken my Jeep down.
Falls Dam - Flatwoods to Art Lilley - YouTube
Hiking Uwharrie Dickey Bell Sept2012 - YouTube
None of the videos are mine but it will show you what kind of trails to expect. Hope this helps.:action-smiley: My wife has taken her Jeep down Falls Dam Trail.

Awesome man! I'll have to check that out afterwork. Thanks all!

tiretrax01 07-26-2013 10:12 PM

:dance:Your welcome. Hope that you get to go there!!

Andrstein 08-14-2013 08:50 AM

I live by Richmond and can agree that Uwharrie is by far the best spot for wheeling and camping if you don't mind a 4-5 hr drive.

But for remote camping and good offroading, Shoe Creek trail is where we head. Go to Crab Tree Falls (2hr drive) and just keep driving straight instead of turning left into the parking area by the latrine.

Be sure to hit the breweries on 151 first and grab a few growlers of "survival fluid".

wmshay6 09-17-2013 01:16 PM

What I plan to do-

1) Grab a DeLorme Atlas and Gazeteer for West Va.
DeLorme Gazeteer

2) Show up here:
Seneca State Forest

A nice campground. Not too primitive (pit toilets), but not too refined either. And it's cheap.

3) Use the campground as a 'home base' to explore all of the pig paths, logging roads, and "improved roads" in the area. Lost of good forest roads in the area.

Last time I was there a few years ago, we were camping, but minivan based. DYING to get back there just as soon as my Jeep shows up at the dealer. The camping is great. The area is fantastic!