Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Removing T case (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/removing-t-case-256002.html)

TanYJ 07-15-2013 03:00 PM

Removing T case

Hey, i have a 95 wrangler witth the 2.5 and the 231 t case. Could somebody give me some info on removing this. I just want to know before i start. My haynes book says to pull the tranny to take it out. I think ive seen something here that says i dont have to. Could i pull it off with out pulling the tranny? Also, should i drain gear oil and the atf fluids or is the gear oil contained? Thanks for the help guys.

DynoMax Exhaust 07-15-2013 03:25 PM

When I pulled one a while ago, I did not pull the trans.
I removed the both driveshafts.
I think there are 6 bolts, the one at top is NOT fun at all.
I use a transmission stand to get it off, it is heavy put not over the top.
I don't remember there being much a leak of fluids from the transmission.
It took about 2 hours...
Good luck

Mowrangler 07-16-2013 08:01 AM

I didnt pull the tranny either.
I just pulled my tc mine only had 5 bolts. Removing the shifter plate and the tc shifter makes getting to yhe top bolts easy. I jacked up my tranny and put a jackstand under it , dropped the skid plate and lowered the tc with a floor jack. PS. dont forget to remove the vacuum hoses,wires and the tc breather tube.have a small drain pan ready mine( tranny)leaked a fair amount when I pulled the tc. Drain the tc first unless you like bathing in ATF.
Good Luck

TanYJ 07-16-2013 10:44 AM

Thanks alot for the info guys. This is a big help.

Cashcrazy 07-16-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mowrangler (Post 3967698)
I didnt pull the tranny either.
I just pulled my tc mine only had 5 bolts. Removing the shifter plate and the tc shifter makes getting to yhe top bolts easy. I jacked up my tranny and put a jackstand under it , dropped the skid plate and lowered the tc with a floor jack. PS. dont forget to remove the vacuum hoses,wires and the tc breather tube.have a small drain pan ready mine( tranny)leaked a fair amount when I pulled the tc. Drain the tc first unless you like bathing in ATF.
Good Luck

This is basically what I did. Removing the floor plate makes the top bolts easy to access. Only difference is that I just crawled under the jeep and lowered the TC with my arms instead of using a jack. I will put some ramps under the front wheels if I ever pull it again so I will have a little more working room.

Mowrangler 07-16-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashcrazy (Post 3968551)
This is basically what I did. Removing the floor plate makes the top bolts easy to access. Only difference is that I just crawled under the jeep and lowered the TC with my arms instead of using a jack. I will put some ramps under the front wheels if I ever pull it again so I will have a little more working room.

I already have a soa conversion so the only reason I have to jack the whole Jeep up is to work on the wheel