Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   U-joint gave up the ghost today. Driveline integrity question. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/u-joint-gave-up-the-ghost-today-driveline-integrity-question-256111.html)

Whotheguy 07-15-2013 09:32 PM

U-joint gave up the ghost today. Driveline integrity question.

2 Attachment(s)
About halfway home today, 10 mile drive, I started noticing a weird vibration other than the usual one. I've always had a vibration starting around 47mph, knew it was a u-joint based on my past experiences, just couldn't get the time to replace it. Anyhow, stopped to get fuel, pulled out into traffic, really noticed some vibration, like kick ya in the nut sack vibration. I immediately knew the joint had busted. Limped it home the 2 miles at 15 mph. Got home and crawled under, yep, rear joint at diff busted. Been down this road, so went in to see the wife and cool my heals a little. After a while of letting things cool down I decided to take a closer look at the joint. It broke alright, and took part of the drive-shaft yoke with it. I've attached a couple pics, you can see the clean break into the yoke. Here's my dilemma, how much would you say I have compromised the integrity of the yoke part where the u-joint mounts? I say as much as 25%. Then there is the possible balancing issue. Not sure if losing that little bit of metal will create vibration issues, but had to ask. I'm seriously thinking of throwing a new joint in and taking my chances.

Anybody know where to get a drive-line from in a fat hurry? I'm in the Phoenix area.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Attachment 273357

Attachment 273358

2JeepsThatRun 07-15-2013 09:51 PM

Not trying to be an a$$ but the simplest way to avoid this is replace then as soon as you can feel any movement in the axle or driveshaft the stock driveline is pretty stout when maintained. The fastest way to fix it is going to be to go to the local driveline shop and they will rebuild the shaft, cut the old yoke off and weld a new one on, and balance the shaft. They could also say it's screwed and just make a new one. This would take about 1-3 days depending on how busy the shops near me are.

Whotheguy 07-15-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JeepsThatRun (Post 3966687)
Not trying to be an a$$ but the simplest way to avoid this is replace then as soon as you can feel any movement in the axle or driveshaft the stock driveline is pretty stout when maintained. The fastest way to fix it is going to be to go to the local driveline shop and they will rebuild the shaft, cut the old yoke off and weld a new one on, and balance the shaft. They could also say it's screwed and just make a new one. This would take about 1-3 days depending on how busy the shops near me are.

I totally agree with your initial comment. I however already plead guilty to not replacing it as I should have. I work as a Land Surveyor and our current workload is endless. I could easily work 24/7, but I feel it's in my best interest to work around 70+ hours per week. Unfortunately this does NOT allow me the luxury of doing much other than taking full advantage of my 6 hour naps before heading back to work. I've not had a day off going on 86 or 87 days now....I lose track. My wife is about to drag me to divorce court. I'm kidding about that part, but I do need to find a fix.

Thanks for your help 2Jeeps.

ChicoJeepy 07-16-2013 08:02 AM

Tuff break with the driveline. I myself noticed U-joints going out and figured if the rear driveline goes out I'll put her in 4WH and crawl home. Luckily I just changed it but I agree with going to the shop. You could search for drivelines on the internet but I don't know many sites that have them.

Jeeprich25 07-16-2013 11:56 AM

Had the same problem with mine only it was on the 101 at 70mph. Lost the entire drive shaft and grenaded the transfer case. AMC 4x4 on grand and 67th has used shafts. Think I paid $75. They're good people.

Whotheguy 07-16-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeprich25 (Post 3968418)
Had the same problem with mine only it was on the 101 at 70mph. Lost the entire drive shaft and grenaded the transfer case. AMC 4x4 on grand and 67th has used shafts. Think I paid $75. They're good people.

I used to go to them back in the day, and I'm talking about 20 years ago. West of 67th ave on Belmont. The wife was a tough old bird to deal with, always made me feel like $hit because I needed a used part. The son however, clean cut guy, was really helpful.

I ended up replacing both joints and the rear t-case output seal, it was leaking. Topped of the fluids and hoped onto Litchfield road for a quick, get er to 60 mph run and then feel for vibrations. Worked out nicely, smooth-smooth once again. I also swapped the drive shaft so the yoke with the piece of metal missing was up by the t-case. I feel there is less shear strength forces there versus being all the way down the tube of the drive shaft at the diff yoke.

Now I need to work on my exhaust manifold leak and the #1 cylinder.

wasomma 07-17-2013 12:49 AM

Yea I wouldn't roll the dice with that, it looks really bad.