Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Engine swap DIY?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/engine-swap-diy-256244.html)

HAMMER1DOWN 07-16-2013 03:37 PM

Engine swap DIY??

Anyone here gone through the trouble of tearing out their minivan engine and replace it with a crate engine? I have a 302 Boss engine, and new transmission sitting at home that I am really wanting to drop in my 11' JK 2dr. Just wanting to know how big of a pain in the ass this will be to accomplish.

jkjeeper06 07-16-2013 04:16 PM

You'd need new motor, transmission, and probably transfer case mounts, but you could keep the axles. Next you'd have to either hope the stock console works with the new shifter or modify it. That's just the cosmetics. Then you'd need a whole new computer and wiring harness and possibly a new dash. Even with those, many mopar parts may not work. Things like traction control or abs and it may throw lights. A hemi swap is easier to do, but not by much

Rtone1583 07-16-2013 11:37 PM

Burnsville Offroad ( Jeep JK Hemi Conversion Kits | Burnsville ) sells two kits at $5900 & $6300 to swap in a Mopar engine and transmission. From what I have read, the kits are pretty much all inclusive of the parts needed except for the engine and trans and it is still a difficult task to accomplish.

I would imagine that swapping in an off brand engine and trans would cost considerably more and would be at least twice as difficult. Putting the pieces together is simple mechanics/fabrication.

The trick is going to be getting the computers to talk to each other. You're either going to have to have knowledge of both the Ford and Chrysler systems/languages as well as the knowledge to write your own code to bridge them or you will have to pay someone else to do it for you.

Dragonscape 07-16-2013 11:43 PM

shucks, no problem at all : takes 7 days and includes new paint, suspension, interior and super sound system
Call CHIP FOOSE

Rtone1583 07-17-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonscape (Post 3970601)
shucks, no problem at all : takes 7 days and includes new paint, suspension, interior and super sound system
Call CHIP FOOSE

Only problem is that he would try to make the Jeep into some modern rendition of a once kickass muscle car. In other words he would dick it all up.

HAMMER1DOWN 07-17-2013 04:16 PM

Dang, I hate that engine with a passion. I want that V8 power and sound without doing a damn Hemi. If I did any of those conversions I would go 3.9 cummins. But would rather have that 302 in there.

Rtone1583 07-18-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN (Post 3972875)
Dang, I hate that engine with a passion. I want that V8 power and sound without doing a damn Hemi. If I did any of those conversions I would go 3.9 cummins. But would rather have that 302 in there.

Maybe get an older Wrangler for the Boss and keep the JK as a DD?

boon4376 07-18-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN (Post 3972875)
Dang, I hate that engine with a passion. I want that V8 power and sound without doing a damn Hemi.

You can't just throw on an exhaust and a supercharger?

michiganadam 07-18-2013 08:16 AM

If you have a base model with no ac, no hvac electronics, etc and can get that 302 to fit and mount.... .you need a torch....run a 4 barrel carb..... make a new cluster with aftermarket gauges....

Would suck to rip all that stuff out of a jk though. Welcome to 8mpg land.

HAMMER1DOWN 07-18-2013 01:12 PM

I do have the base model, no AC or any of that other useless stuff. 8 mpg land is my favorite! As long as I have the power to back it up.
As far as exhaust and super charger that is far far to expensive to be wasting on that 3.8L

MotorCityJK 07-18-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN (Post 3976254)
I do have the base model, no AC or any of that other useless stuff. 8 mpg land is my favorite! As long as I have the power to back it up.
As far as exhaust and super charger that is far far to expensive to be wasting on that 3.8L

If you're even thinking about this you know you can swap anything into anything with enough effort. I think the biggest snag will be how much of the HVAC, etc is run off the current body computer. I think the easiest thing to do would get to get the drivetrain in mechanically and separate it from the rest of the electrical architecture if you're talking a carbed setup. Then find out what does and doesn't work on key-on and run. I'd want all custom guages on a swap like this anyway so the dash is an expected mod.

New Boss motor or old school? Old-school Boss is a bit of a revver. Not ideal for a 4x4.

ohioviper 07-18-2013 04:37 PM

Sell that ford and get a sb chevy out of a late modle truck .Its about the easiest route.

HAMMER1DOWN 07-19-2013 09:27 AM

It's a crate engine I had bought about 8 years ago to put in my 81 f150. Never been installed in a vehicle, and I will never put a Chevy engine in anything I own!

WatchThis! 07-19-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN (Post 3979739)
It's a crate engine I had bought about 8 years ago to put in my 81 f150. Never been installed in a vehicle, and I will never put a Chevy engine in anything I own!

Then your blind brand loyalty is making you miss out. So many people are doing LS swaps for a reason.

Snake_Eyes 07-19-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN (Post 3979739)

X2. Chevy sucks.

michiganadam 07-19-2013 08:40 PM

wouldnt a ford be easier since the dizzy cap is in the front? I like the way the dizzy cap goes on a lot better anyway. You don't want the engine too far forward or you're going to run into clearance issues for accessories.

By the way i have thought many times about the small block chevy in my jeep. but im not going to do it for a few years. I have a small block chevy in storage that needs to be rebuilt Hell i still need to pull the pan and find out if its 4 bolt mains or not.

I also have the base model with no options.

coelement777 07-20-2013 01:44 AM

If i was in your position i would buy a TJ or YJ with a blown motor to do this swap, i think it would be a lot simpler, then either keep the JK for a DD or sell it.

ohioviper 07-20-2013 02:01 AM

The LS motors dont have a dizzy cap. And brand loyalty is silly. I would take any big 3 v8 and have no issues at all. I have ran SB Chevys SB Fords and SB Chryslers Ive even built a few AMC v8s. They each have their weaknesses but none of them are really any better than the other at the end of the day. I only suggested the Chevy as it is the most cost effective and they turn out some impressive hp numbers stock and parts are cheaper of the 3.

michiganadam 07-20-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3983046)
The LS motors dont have a dizzy cap. And brand loyalty is silly. I would take any big 3 v8 and have no issues at all. I have ran SB Chevys SB Fords and SB Chryslers Ive even built a few AMC v8s. They each have their weaknesses but none of them are really any better than the other at the end of the day. I only suggested the Chevy as it is the most cost effective and they turn out some impressive hp numbers stock and parts are cheaper of the 3.

Wouldnt all the computer stuff get expensive to make work?

HAMMER1DOWN 07-23-2013 09:49 AM

I have been crunching the numbers and thinking abou the work and believe that buy a TJ as previously mentioned. And doing the swap and just making that one a toy. Next question here is how hard would it be to have the 3.8 bored out to a bigger cylinder spec? I was out on the trail and met this guy new to the trails here who had a beast of a TJ and his 4.0 was bored to 4.7. He had loads of power turning his 37's.

MotorCityJK 07-23-2013 09:56 AM

That's a stroker 4.0L. I think they use a 258cid crank.

HAMMER1DOWN 07-23-2013 09:57 AM

Is there anyway to stroke the 3.8?

MotorCityJK 07-23-2013 10:09 AM

HES38SK 3.8L STROKER KIT | Hesco

TOK 07-23-2013 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're married to Ford power and don't care about stuff like air conditioning, why not save yourself a world of aggravation and build up a first gen Bronco?

michiganadam 07-23-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN (Post 3993319)
I have been crunching the numbers and thinking abou the work and believe that buy a TJ as previously mentioned. And doing the swap and just making that one a toy. Next question here is how hard would it be to have the 3.8 bored out to a bigger cylinder spec? I was out on the trail and met this guy new to the trails here who had a beast of a TJ and his 4.0 was bored to 4.7. He had loads of power turning his 37's.

You generally overbore engines to get brand new, undamaged cylinders. You ought to bore as little as possible so that it can be done yet again when the engines completely worn out again. You can only overbore a little bit on any engine, it doesnt increase power (other than no longer being worn out).

You want to STROKE the engine, with a different crankshaft, to get more displacement.

I would atleast start with an overhead cam engine like a 3.6.

HAMMER1DOWN 07-24-2013 01:04 AM

How difficult will it be to install that striker kit that MotorCityJK posted? That seems like a reasonable option to me, along with a few other things like exhaust, intake, chipped to boost the power and torque. I am going to 37's after my 33's are done for. I really don't want to be lugging around to bad.

2five22 07-24-2013 01:24 AM

Be prepared to re-engineer the suspension. If the Ford engine weighs more than the mini-van motor, you'll need a higher spring rate. The JK is mod friendly to only Mopar.

You would be far better off to do a 1st Gen Bronco or a CJ with what you have in mind.

MotorCityJK 07-24-2013 09:32 AM

I'd look into how much "stroke" you get w/ that stroker kit I posted. Only gave the link to show what's out there. I thought I remember reading you don't get much CID gain w/ that kit to justify it's cost.

TOK 07-24-2013 09:55 AM

How about this as a different take on the same goal... You have a crate 302 and a 2011 JK which probably still holds some decent value. Selling the engine and trading the 2011 in for a 2013 would get you an immediate 85 extra horsepower.

Unless you're really dug in with mods on the existing Jeep, it sucks to tear down and rebuild such a new engine, voiding all the warranties in the process.

stryker755 07-24-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake_Eyes (Post 3980986)

X2. Chevy sucks.

Nope. Chevy does not suck. But you do!