Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   shift knob holder (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/shift-knob-holder-256336.html)

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 08:37 PM

shift knob holder
 
So while im monstalining, for the first day of removal i left my seat in so i could drive and noticed it was muh easier shifting into 2nd and 4th without the console. After some research i found out body lifts will do that and a leather shift boot will help. So i removed my stock rubber shift boot and found out the device holding the knob in place is falling apart.. The plastic thing inside broke in half. One allen head bolt is gone, another is stripped. No wonder my knob is so loose. Ill be replacing the shift boot but was wondering if there are any fixes or alternatives to this? Will post pics in a min

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 08:44 PM

This is the shifter stick and as you can see the top half of that black peice is in the pic below
Attachment 273791


This is the plastic or rubber peice that broke off of the shift stick
Attachment 273794


And this is the device that holds the shift knob and that has one missing screw and one stripped screw(quite challenging to get out..)
Attachment 273793

BigDeaner 07-16-2013 08:44 PM

I'm having a similar issue... Subbed for the responses.

Big Sarge 07-16-2013 08:48 PM

That was some kind of after market shifter. The stock shifter is screwed on then held by a jam nut that goes in the center under the shift pattern. I make shifters and refuse to use set screw adapters for reasons like that.

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 08:52 PM

Well would it be possible to go back to stock? Id much rather have a stock one if it works much better

Big Sarge 07-16-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3970100)
Well would it be possible to go back to stock? Id much rather have a stock one if it works much better

As long as you can get all of that old one off. You should see a threaded portion on top of the shifter stick. About an inch or so. It accepts a 10mm x 1.5 nut. I also have a stock shift knob but the shift pattern is long gone and the knob is a little messed up (cosmetically) from where I popped the shift pattern out to remove it. That will likely be the case with any used one you can find. Not sure what they cost new but I've heard around $50-$60.

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 09:05 PM

Also if anyone knows of a good leather or fake leather shift boot thats not real expensive im all ears. As of now im just gonna get one from autozone. But open to suggestions. Mainly worries about shifter knob thing though

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3970118)

As long as you can get all of that old one off. You should see a threaded portion on top of the shifter stick. About an inch or so. It accepts a 10mm x 1.5 nut. I also have a stock shift knob but the shift pattern is long gone and the knob is a little messed up (cosmetically) from where I popped the shift pattern out to remove it. That will likely be the case with any used one you can find. Not sure what they cost new but I've heard around $50-$60.

I dont know how much this would be to ask for but pics of the stock setup would be real nice so i could know what to look for and what i need to remove

Big Sarge 07-16-2013 09:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3970160)

I dont know how much this would be to ask for but pics of the stock setup would be real nice so i could know what to look for and what i need to remove

That is a picture of a stock shifter. Look all the way to the right of the pic and you will see the threaded portion.

As for the shift boot bardofett on here under the commercial section of the buy,sell,trade section makes shift boots that look really nice.

The last three pics are of the stock shift knob I took off mine when I installed my camo pool ball shift knob.

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 09:16 PM

Oksweet so now my mission is to somehow remove whatever aftermarket shift knob holder is on there and there should be threads under it? Or is the whole stick aftermarket.. I sure hope not. And sweet ill go check him out. Ill be monstalining in the morning tomorrow so ill work on that shifter in between coats. Thanks so much for the help. Ill post up any more questions i have once i begin removal. What would i type into google to get that part? Shift knob what?? Holder nor insert brought anything up. What would you call it?

Big Sarge 07-16-2013 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3970209)
Oksweet so now my mission is to somehow remove whatever aftermarket shift knob holder is on there and there should be threads under it? Or is the whole stick aftermarket.. I sure hope not. And sweet ill go check him out. Ill be monstalining in the morning tomorrow so ill work on that shifter in between coats. Thanks so much for the help. Ill post up any more questions i have once i begin removal. What would i type into google to get that part? Shift knob what?? Holder nor insert brought anything up. What would you call it?

Looks to be the stock shaft. Here is one for $20 on eBay http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=111070733076

There are tons of aftermarket options though. Today I made a baseball shifter and of course the pool balls that I make.

sinepome 07-16-2013 09:30 PM

Honda shift knobs are also the same thread count/pitch. I'm rocking an integra type r shifter in my yj! GL.

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 09:33 PM

Oooh ok so once i get the aftermarket holder off it then its just threads and i can screw any ole knob on there with that thread count. That makes much more sense. Wonder why PO did that? Hopefully nothings wrong with it and thats why its on there :/

Big Sarge 07-16-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3970315)
Oooh ok so once i get the aftermarket holder off it then its just threads and i can screw any ole knob on there with that thread count. That makes much more sense. Wonder why PO did that? Hopefully nothings wrong with it and thats why its on there :/

People like to make their jeep their own. PO probably just liked the knob that he put on there. I doubt there was anything wrong with it. Mine was in perfect shape when I replaced it. Lol

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 10:06 PM

Good to know! Sent a pm to bardo fett and will probably just get a cheap ole knob from autozone i guess

thgr8alex 07-16-2013 10:19 PM

I love the look of your camo ball ones but i just like the feel of that hand shaped one rather than the ball type or else id buy one off ya haha

BigDeaner 07-17-2013 07:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Any idea whats going on with my shifter??

thgr8alex 07-17-2013 09:07 AM

The other part to that black plastic thing stuck on just unthreaded from the stick with the help of some pliers. Looks like the stock shifter now! Now i just need to place my order for my shift boot and buy a shift knob. Thanks for your help Sarge!
Attachment 273978

Water Dog 07-17-2013 09:29 AM

I just bought a stock shift knob and center button from the local Chrysler dealer. $24 for the knob, and about $5 for the button. Here's some pics so you can kind of see the way they go together. The ridge on the button interlocks the groove in the knob, and the top of the knob slightly covers the top of the button.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.