Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   40 mm ammo cans (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/40-mm-ammo-cans-256342.html)

87 Florida YJ 07-16-2013 09:02 PM

40 mm ammo cans
 
1 Attachment(s)
These things are terrific. My YJ is a military replica so they naturally work for me but if I had any year or style I think I still would be using them. First of all they hold tons of your stuff. I have two in the rear. One holds all of my tools and bottle jack and the other holds my fishing equipment perfectly. Then I modified a third into my console and I could not be happier with the result. The can is a perfect size to hold my CD's and any other junk I need with me. Nobody asked me but I enjoy these so much I wanted to pass the info on to the rest of the forum.

87 Florida YJ 07-16-2013 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the rear

Carlsbad0331 07-16-2013 09:22 PM

And if you can get the rocket crates (the brown metal ones) they fit perfectly behind the rear seat in a YJ!

BJs YJ 07-17-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsbad0331 (Post 3970260)
And if you can get the rocket crates (the brown metal ones) they fit perfectly behind the rear seat in a YJ!

I'm thinking of making a WWII era footlocker for the back to carry all things.

Wranglin4Life 07-17-2013 02:23 PM

Very nicely done. Love me some ammo cans :thumb:

1987Wrangler YJ 07-18-2013 09:40 AM

That is so sick! how did you mount the one for the center console? and where can I get these from??

Kytans93yj 07-18-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987Wrangler YJ (Post 3975784)
That is so sick! how did you mount the one for the center console? and where can I get these from??

Any army surplus stores will have them

87 Florida YJ 07-18-2013 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987Wrangler YJ (Post 3975784)
That is so sick! how did you mount the one for the center console? and where can I get these from??

I got mine from Coleman's Milatary Surplus but if you just google '40MM ammo can you can find other suppliers. The can fits perfectly between the seats but for me it was just a tad too low. I found if I first bolted a 1 1/2 inch thick piece of wood to the floor it raised it perfectly so my palm rests nicely on the can in 4th gear. Then the can gets attached to the wooden platform through the inside of the can. The height of the can is up to whatever is comfortable for you. Here's a pic of how I hinged the inside of the can.

87 Florida YJ 07-18-2013 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987Wrangler YJ (Post 3975784)
That is so sick! how did you mount the one for the center console? and where can I get these from??

I forgot one thing. There is a tab on the top of the can (I think for stacking them) that I mushed down because it was annoying me. :) you can see it in this pic

1987Wrangler YJ 07-18-2013 11:20 AM

Alright thanks! this is going to be my weekend project

CaliWrangler 07-18-2013 03:42 PM

Awesome job... I'm going to be doing this for my center console as well... Yours turned out great!

87 Florida YJ 07-18-2013 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. I'm positive you are going to enjoy the finished product.

StanF 07-18-2013 06:19 PM

Look at my build thread for how I mounted my ammo can console -

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...ished-1498520/

vetteonr 08-05-2013 05:58 PM

I thought I'd throw my .02 in. I bought this ammo can from Cabela's for $20 and mounted it over the weekend. It came out pretty good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...os/file-25.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...os/file-27.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...os/file-26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...os/file-24.jpg

87 Florida YJ 08-05-2013 06:31 PM

You kidding? I think it came out grand. I like the size of that can.

williamyj 08-05-2013 07:40 PM

Did the same thing. Love it. Get lots of compliments on it too

87 Florida YJ 08-05-2013 08:05 PM

Ammo cans are just soooooooo jeep. Gotta love 'em

ddferdt 08-18-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 3975927)
I got mine from Coleman's Milatary Surplus but if you just google '40MM ammo can you can find other suppliers. The can fits perfectly between the seats but for me it was just a tad too low. I found if I first bolted a 1 1/2 inch thick piece of wood to the floor it raised it perfectly so my palm rests nicely on the can in 4th gear. Then the can gets attached to the wooden platform through the inside of the can. The height of the can is up to whatever is comfortable for you. Here's a pic of how I hinged the inside of the can.

Did you have to cut the back of the can at all to accommodate the hinge? I cant seem to get it to work.

87 Florida YJ 08-18-2013 02:53 PM

No cutting at all.

4" hinge
8 nuts, bolts washers

I took the top of the can off. Then I removed one of the two hinges that snap the can closed. Just pinch the two sides to remove. You don't need it and that's the end that gets the hinge. Next i think I bent the side edges of the top out a tad with a vise grips. You want it to open easily. With the top off place the hinge on the inside of the can, mark the 4 holes, drill, and attach the hinge nut side in. Last step is marking the holes for the lid. I elevated the top of the hinge with tape. I don't know how to say it. It's now taped up so the top of the hinge isn't just hanging. Anyway, carefully prop the top at the hinged end, because its up you can get your arm in and mark the position of only one hole. Drill that one hole. Bolt the top on through the one hole and close the top. The hinge is now in perfect position inside. Open and close it a couple of times for fit. Open the lid, drill the three holes, bolt the last three and you're done. Hinge is on the inside, paint the four bolts green and they disappear.

Read it a couple of times and it will make sense. Probably took me longer to type your reply than to do the job.

ddferdt 08-18-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4093027)
No cutting at all.

4" hinge
8 nuts, bolts washers

I took the top of the can off. Then I removed one of the two hinges that snap the can closed. Just pinch the two sides to remove. You don't need it and that's the end that gets the hinge. Next i think I bent the side edges of the top out a tad with a vise grips. You want it to open easily. With the top off place the hinge on the inside of the can, mark the 4 holes, drill, and attach the hinge nut side in. Last step is marking the holes for the lid. I elevated the top of the hinge with tape. I don't know how to say it. It's now taped up so the top of the hinge isn't just hanging. Anyway, carefully prop the top at the hinged end, because its up you can get your arm in and mark the position of only one hole. Drill that one hole. Bolt the top on through the one hole and close the top. The hinge is now in perfect position inside. Open and close it a couple of times for fit. Open the lid, drill the three holes, bolt the last three and you're done. Hinge is on the inside, paint the four bolts green and they disappear.

Read it a couple of times and it will make sense. Probably took me longer to type your reply than to do the job.

Thanks for the follow up brother :thumb:

87 Florida YJ 08-18-2013 03:22 PM

Just 'paying it forward' for all the help and ideas I have received from this Forum. Everything my jeep is today I owe to the Forum members.

dguire792 08-18-2013 09:58 PM

Thanks for the idea these are awesome defiantly going to make them when I get my hands on some!!

Dano222 08-19-2013 09:11 AM

24-12 oz. ammo case, mounted in my 92 YJ.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/20/8at5.jpg

vetteonr 08-19-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano222 (Post 4095878)
24-12 oz. ammo case, mounted in my 92 YJ.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/20/8at5.jpg

Awesome! I'll bet those 12 oz. shells go down real smoooooth. :punk::dance::drool:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.