Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Clutch Not Covered!!!!! WTF (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/clutch-not-covered-wtf-256467.html)

Timebomb1031 07-17-2013 12:26 PM

Clutch Not Covered!!!!! WTF

So the clutch goes out in my 2012 Jeep Wrangler that I have had less then a year. I'm thinking no big deal its covered under warranty. Not the case, goes to the dealership and they want $2000 to fix it. I'm so angry right now I can't see straight. Want happened to " bumper to bumper" coverage?? I was told that EVERYTHING was covered. I called Chrysler myself and they "they said "Everything but that" ..,, FML

JACK3D 07-17-2013 12:31 PM

$2000 for a clutch replacement?? Even for a dealership that seems through the roof.

Timebomb1031 07-17-2013 12:38 PM

Thank you that's exactly what I said

nonohmic 07-17-2013 12:39 PM

That's ridiculous.

Go through the fine print, if there is nothing about the clutch specifically have them up for it.

TexasJeepGirl 07-17-2013 12:40 PM

Sounds like you've been had... I'd try another dealership. If they won't cover it and you have to pay out of pocket, take it to your offroad shop. Or buy the parts and have a buddy help you.

I believe they won't cover clutches because driver habits affect the wear of the component pretty directly.

JACK3D 07-17-2013 12:46 PM

You could buy the parts and do it yourself for way less. I know my jeep is much older than yours, but when i replaced mine, i ordered the Luk kit that cost me $100. It took me all day, but I did it myself, and saved a ton of money. Local transmission shop wanted to charge me somewhere in the $700 range.

derf 07-17-2013 12:49 PM

Brake pads and clutches are considered wear items. You'll occasionally see defective parts but because driving style directly affects the life of them and most of the claims are by drivers that abused the vehicle. As a result they're pretty much always not covered under warranty.

I do agree that $2K is way too much to replace a clutch in a 4WD vehicle. You should be able to get it done for around half that.

If you can't find a dealer to help you just take it to a local transmission shop. They'll be able to do it easily.

Cubdriver 07-17-2013 12:49 PM

Clutches are wear items, like brake pads, and typically not covered under warranty. But that being said, is the clutch WORN out, or has it failed for some other reason? What are the symptoms of the problem? How many miles are on the Jeep? (And I agree - $2k seems like an AWFULLY big nut to replace a clutch!!)

-Pat

mckey73 07-17-2013 01:02 PM

You would think they would at least want to diagnose it properly, it could very well be a defective part. Go to another dealer and explain your case, they have even replaced brake pads that were defective from the factory. Crappy situation, good luck!

TOK 07-17-2013 01:07 PM

You said you've had it less than a year... The clutch warranty is much more limited than the regular powertrain warranty, but I still thought it was 1 year.

Might be worth checking your purchase date. If you're truly under a year, perhaps try pushing the issue a little bit. Good luck!

HillbillyJeeper 07-17-2013 01:16 PM

JK clutch should cost about 750 bucks. Had mine quoted 2 months ago.... Then traded it. Get a second opinion

Timebomb1031 07-17-2013 01:52 PM

Thanks guys. It's been a trying morning. I found a shop that will do it for half the price thank God!

larjeep 07-17-2013 06:43 PM

Make sure you have him tell u that its worn or defective. If its not worn take some pics and bring them and the bill with you back to the damn dealer. For your money. If you wore it out then that's that.

Getnoff 07-17-2013 07:17 PM

Clutch and brakes are usually only 6000 mile warranty...if I remember correctly.
Troy

DaisyCutter 07-17-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubdriver (Post 3972378)
Clutches are wear items, like brake pads, and typically not covered under warranty. But that being said, is the clutch WORN out, or has it failed for some other reason? What are the symptoms of the problem? How many miles are on the Jeep? (And I agree - $2k seems like an AWFULLY big nut to replace a clutch!!)

-Pat

BINGO!!

If the clutch friction material is worn through, it's your dime.

If a clutch component has failed, it's Chrysler's dime.

Timebomb1031 07-17-2013 08:35 PM

The thing that upset me was when I spoke with the Chrysler rep she said it didn't matter if it was defective that in the fine print it says "clutches not included". I am just greatly disappoint at the situation. I had always wanted a JK and I do ride the trails but not as aggressive as others as its my daily driver and I can't afford to break it right now just for "fun'zies". It's at a shop now that with repair it for half the price the dealership wanted. I just hate that now I have to baby it. It's a JK I just expected more. I'll get over it... I might just have to make it a "toy" vehicle and get another one daily driver. But if I knew that going on I would not have bought a new one. Thanks for all the comments <3

krisbman 07-17-2013 08:41 PM

It would be interesting to actually see the clutch disc and the pressure plate. Ive driven sticks hard and have only managed to go through one disc my whole life and that was on a small block 4 speed Nova. If the plate is burned and the disc is shot you might want to change the way you drive... Resting foot on clutch pedal? Slipping the clutch alot? Im not accusing you, just throwing out some instances especially if the disc isnt faulty, and just showing excessive wear

Cubdriver 07-17-2013 09:26 PM

Agreed - it would definitely be interesting to see things. What were the symptoms of the failure? Was it slipping? Or did it seem like there was some sort of actual breakage - something rattling around in the bellhousing or the like? How many miles on it? A year seems like an unusually short lifespan for a clutch. I realize it's comparing apples and bowling balls, but my '96 Miata is still on its original clutch.

-Pat

Timebomb1031 07-18-2013 02:01 PM

I'll see if I can get some pictures to post. He said he is going to start working on it next week so ill stop by the shop and try and get some pics.

Timebomb1031 07-18-2013 03:15 PM

After talking to Chrysler the other day they informed me of a bit back program they have on their vehicles so I said sure make me an other on my jeep. They called me back today and said in the condition it's in (2012 maintained properly by the dealership and right at 9,000 mile the ONLY issue is having to replace the clutch which I'm doing ) does not qualify for that program. I can't help but wonder why? Is it because there is about to be a recall?? Mmmm??? Yeah.,, soon as I get it back I'm trading it for a truck.

Timebomb1031 07-18-2013 03:42 PM

***buy back

Blastek 07-18-2013 04:00 PM

When did you get it exactly? The clutch is fully covered for 12k miles/1 year.

Cubdriver 07-18-2013 04:10 PM

And what was the failure mode - what was it doing? Slipping, catching, jammed?

Timebomb1031 07-19-2013 05:49 AM

I bought it in Oct of last year. There was no tension on the clutch when engaged. Just fell to the floor.

insylem 07-19-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timebomb1031 (Post 3972319)
So the clutch goes out in my 2012 Jeep Wrangler that I have had less then a year. I'm thinking no big deal its covered under warranty. Not the case, goes to the dealership and they want $2000 to fix it. I'm so angry right now I can't see straight. Want happened to " bumper to bumper" coverage?? I was told that EVERYTHING was covered. I called Chrysler myself and they "they said "Everything but that" ..,, FML

It sucks, but unfortuantlly it says very clearly in the Warranty manual that NO clutch componants are covered. :confused: Page 12 of the warranty manual has a note that reads
"NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH
PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME."

Page 16 reads
"replacing worn wiper blades, worn brake pads
and linings, or clutch linings." under items not covered

However page 7 says

But the following items are
covered only for 12 months or for 12,000 miles on the
odometer, whichever occurs first:
brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums);
wiper blades;
clutch discs or modular clutch assembly (as equipped);
windshield and rear window; and
wheel alignment and wheel balancing

insylem 07-19-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timebomb1031 (Post 3976875)
After talking to Chrysler the other day they informed me of a bit back program they have on their vehicles so I said sure make me an other on my jeep. They called me back today and said in the condition it's in (2012 maintained properly by the dealership and right at 9,000 mile the ONLY issue is having to replace the clutch which I'm doing ) does not qualify for that program. I can't help but wonder why? Is it because there is about to be a recall?? Mmmm??? Yeah.,, soon as I get it back I'm trading it for a truck.

"Buy back" may be a false safety net, just like "warranty"

KaiserJeep 07-19-2013 09:25 AM

12,000 mile warranty? Wow, my '03 came with a 75,000 mile, 5-year powertrain warranty. The 5 years ran out first, it is just about to pass 50,000 miles in a week or so.

Cubdriver 07-19-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timebomb1031 (Post 3979389)
I bought it in Oct of last year. There was no tension on the clutch when engaged. Just fell to the floor.

So when you stepped on the clutch pedal to disengage it, the pedal went right to the floor with basically only the return spring holding it back? Did the clutch disengage when you did this, or did it act like you'd not stepped on the pedal at all?

This sounds (from what you've described thus far) like an actuation problem, not necessarily a wear issue with the clutch itself. It could be any number of things, some of which should be relatively simple to repair. I don't have a jeep (yet; working on that) and so am not certain of the clutch mechanism they use, but if it's a hydraulic system, that could indicate a bad master or slave cylinder, or leaking line (all of which *should* be relatively simple and inexpensive to fix, and, I'd think, covered by the warranty), or something like a broken release fork mechanism (much more difficult to access, but again, IMO *should* be a warranty thing).

Or is the clutch slipping completely, and the pedal position (up or down) makes no difference and there's no resistance to pedal movement? THAT could be a failed pressure plate, and while at this low a mileage I'd think it should be a warranty issue as it sounds more like a defect than wear, that's more of a grey area that Mopar could wriggle on...

If I'm misunderstanding the problem, please try to elaborate more on what exactly happens when you push the pedal down.

-Pat

insylem 07-19-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiserJeep (Post 3979904)
12,000 mile warranty? Wow, my '03 came with a 75,000 mile, 5-year powertrain warranty. The 5 years ran out first, it is just about to pass 50,000 miles in a week or so.

There is alot more then just 12000 mile warranty...
Just those select parts are ONLY covered up to 12, 000 miles or 1 year. The others are the 36000 miles or 3 years. And then the powertrain stuff...

Its all in the warranty document you can get from the Jeep Website.

Seems to conterdict itself when it comes to the clutch though...

TylerU 07-19-2013 10:06 AM

I thought everyone was yelling manual shift is the way to go.. Knock on wood.