Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   CV Driveshaft length? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/cv-driveshaft-length-2565.html)

redragonsk8er 08-10-2006 05:16 PM

CV Driveshaft length?

I have a new transfer case with an SYE installed on its way. So now I need to get a new cv driveshaft. But there are like 10 different options. So now Im confused. What length do I get? Right now I have 0 suspension lift(3" body on its way) but I do plan to lift it soon. I will probably start with 4"

mrbigjeep 08-10-2006 05:28 PM

if i'm thinking correctly then you will want to have your lift on when you install it so that the driveshaft length matches up to the amount of lift you are getting. but maybe it will still fit without the lift until you get it but i think you might have to go ahead and install the lift before the new extended driveshaft goes on and if you order the driveshaft before you get the lift then you better make sure that the driveshaft you order is gonna match up to the amount of lift you get I.E. if you get a driveshaft suitable for a 4 inch lift then you should stay with a 4 inch lift and be sure that is the amount of lift you want although the driveshaft might still be long enough for a 6 inch lift...but you might would get a few vibes since it matches up to a 4 inch but not too bad considering some keep the stock one and go up 4 inches and that is only 2 inch difference...sorry so long but one last other thing...check jb conversions for driveshaft length
good luck...and good buy on the transfer case...you bought from MR. CLIFFORD right?? good deal!

JeepCrawler98 08-10-2006 06:31 PM

Put in your SYE first, then measure it (yoke to yoke centerline length). There's too many variables (adjusted control arms, driveline length, wheelbase, etc.) at play to just 'buy' a universal CV shaft, which some people like TeraFlex and Rubicon Express will sell you.

Mine came out to 16.75" after I did my build up which has 4" lift springs - however put in your SYE first, then measure it. I ordered mine from tom woods and had it in 3 days from order to delivery - you could even overnight it. If you can't have that much down time - just stick in in 4wd and drive it around with the front axle powering it for the few days that you don't have a rear driveshaft.

You will want a single 'double cordon' (AKA 'CV') shaft, with 1310 u-joints (joints on both ends, no flanges or anything).

Go with 4" of lift - anything bigger just trim away or go flatfenders; you'll learn to love the stability if you actually wheel it ;) Plus you can still get away with a high clearance skid plate - at 6", even with a standard SYE, driveline angles are pretty bad without a t-case drop with the stock skid plate.

4Jeepn 08-10-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redragonsk8er
I have a new transfer case with an SYE installed on its way. So now I need to get a new cv driveshaft. But there are like 10 different options. So now Im confused. What length do I get? Right now I have 0 suspension lift(3" body on its way) but I do plan to lift it soon. I will probably start with 4"

Well you could be looking at getting 2 rear driveshafts. AS: what ever rear drive shaft you run with just your body lift, may not work once you put your 4" spring lift on. Thus, is your old t-case still in the jeep? If so this, with the stock shaft will work just fine with the body lift..and then when you get the new suspension lift swap them out if you can and measure your distance yoke center to yoke center and then get the new shaft.

redragonsk8er 08-10-2006 09:13 PM

My transfer that is in ther right now ripped in half. Im saying the transfer case spilt into 2 parts while driving down the highway. Thats why I had to get a new one. I didnt know getting one with a sye would be so difficult to put everything back together, but Im not worried about it. Ill get everything.

But I cant wait til I get my lift to have this back together. And I did buy it from MR. CLIFFORD. I heard it was a good deal and why not go ahead and get it if Ill need it later.

MR.CLIFFORD 08-10-2006 09:18 PM

I agree you need to wait and get your tcase in there and measure. It is the best tried and true way to get what you need. If you need a suggestion for a driveshaft call Dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com and ask him about a powerdrive shaft. He can have them made in a day or so before it is on its way to you. Be sure to tell him Andy sent you :)