Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   2013 JKU 4 door - Best Tire/Wheel setup without lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/2013-jku-4-door-best-tire-wheel-setup-without-lift-256671.html)

wrangler49009 07-18-2013 12:43 PM

2013 JKU 4 door - Best Tire/Wheel setup without lift
 
Yes,
I know this has been asked before. Many times actually. And the opinions are like snowflakes...

Straight up. I want the most agressive look with the best ride and feel I can get without lifting and rubbing.

I have attached pics of the jeep, and the current tire/wheel setup.
Goodyear Wrangler SRA 25575R17
I know I want black alloy wheels. I'm not stuck on 17" wheels.

Just give it to me straight..lol. (AND yes I have read the sticky on biggest tires for stock)
I want your current setups and what has worked for you. Pictures and details.

Joe

4red2220 07-18-2013 07:19 PM

I'm in the same boat. I just purchased a 2013 4 door sport. I'm looking to put on a set of rims and tires. Also wanting to level the body and needing info on that as well.

dawhitesJKU 07-18-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler49009 (Post 3976159)
Yes,
I know this has been asked before. Many times actually. And the opinions are like snowflakes...

Straight up. I want the most agressive look with the best ride and feel I can get without lifting and rubbing.

I have attached pics of the jeep, and the current tire/wheel setup.
Goodyear Wrangler SRA 25575R17
I know I want black alloy wheels. I'm not stuck on 17" wheels.

Just give it to me straight..lol. (AND yes I have read the sticky on biggest tires for stock)
I want your current setups and what has worked for you. Pictures and details.

Joe

Hey Joe,
if your sticking to ur factory 17's u can do 33's w/out a lift, however you will need spacers for ur wheels as the offset will rub on components. i went with 285/70/17 for 2 months till i got my lift. No rubbing whatsoever and i'm able to retain the front airdam. then again...i had correct backspacing with my wheels.

Wrangler Rule of thumb.... 4.5 backspacing or less w/ ALL wheel sizes.

-Dwight

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4red2220 (Post 3977662)
I'm in the same boat. I just purchased a 2013 4 door sport. I'm looking to put on a set of rims and tires. Also wanting to level the body and needing info on that as well.

You can do the teraflex leveling kit that comes with rear links. pretty easy to install at a great price. $130ish. 2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back for a more leveled look.

you can probably fit 35's there but it might cause rubbing offroad. Its a nice look but you will want a bigger lift sooner than later.

-Dwight

i also have a great review regarding a lift kit thats under a grand. do it once, do it right and more room to upgrade.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rub...ew-254067.html

stad33 07-18-2013 08:57 PM

^^^^^^
What he said.

I did the 285/70/17 as well with the TF leveling kit.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psa00f5b10.jpg

wrangler49009 07-18-2013 09:13 PM

Looks nice! I have to have black wheels! I want something that rides really nice on road and can do the dunes or light trail riding on the weekend. No deep mud or rock climbing.

dawhitesJKU 07-18-2013 09:34 PM

No deep mud, no rock climbing, awesome dd and great fuel economy. Check out the "toyo at2 thread". Cheaper than duratracs $220ish, LIGHTER than duratracs, great offroad and awesome customer service.

wrangler49009 07-18-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU (Post 3978211)
No deep mud, no rock climbing, awesome dd and great fuel economy. Check out the "toyo at2 thread". Cheaper than duratracs $220ish, LIGHTER than duratracs, great offroad and awesome customer service.

Whoo Hoo...What size do you recommend and do they still look like a beefy tire?
Goodyear Wrangler SRA 25575R17 is what I'm running right now.

jadmt 07-18-2013 09:57 PM

X2 on toyo at2 I have been to Moab with them and so far the only thing they have not been exposed to is mud. they have performed great on rocks, sand, snow and ice and whisper quiet and smooth on the highway at all speeds up to 85mph. I have no lift they are 285/75-16 e rated on 16X8 rims with 4.5" BS.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps54a64fcb.jpg
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps92cc54a5.jpg

dawhitesJKU 07-18-2013 10:03 PM

I suggest the p285/70/17...u will find MINIMAL power loss, and u could wheel it as often as you like. Avoid using the sidewall on rocks and it will last u a very very long time. You could one up and get the e rated version like forum member jadmt. It's still great on road nonetheless and it isn't harsh as other e rated tires.

jadmt 07-18-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU (Post 3978309)
I suggest the p285/70/17...u will find MINIMAL power loss, and u could wheel it as often as you like. Avoid using the sidewall on rocks and it will last u a very very long time. You could one up and get the e rated version like forum member jadmt. It's still great on road nonetheless and it isn't harsh as other e rated tires.

I have to say that the E rated ones are not harsh at all and I would bet money that if anyone were to ride in my jeep they could not tell the difference between stock tires and my 285's. I like the little more aggressive sidewall look of the E rated tires along with the deeper tread.

dawhitesJKU 07-18-2013 10:25 PM

There u go OP. pick ur poison. These tires are win.

jadmt 07-18-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU (Post 3978395)
There u go OP. pick ur poison. These tires are win.

X2

Just wish I would have with the 295's lol just a little bigger....:dance:

wrangler49009 07-19-2013 08:23 AM

JadeMT. On the stock with no lift do you get any rubbing? I'd like to stick with 17" wheel/tire combo.

jadmt 07-19-2013 10:05 AM

no rubbing when connected slight rubbing when disconnected at max wheel stuff.

wrangler49009 07-19-2013 02:15 PM

Ok, before you fall off your chair laughing understand I'm a complete newbie. I hear all this stuff about disco, disconnect. Is this something I need to do when going on the trails in my JKU sport? I know I have a lot to learn for you great folks.

jadmt 07-19-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler49009 (Post 3980721)
Ok, before you fall off your chair laughing understand I'm a complete newbie. I hear all this stuff about disco, disconnect. Is this something I need to do when going on the trails in my JKU sport? I know I have a lot to learn for you great folks.

it is not required to disconnect but if you are on rough trails with rocks and uneven surfaces it helps a lot for traction as it keeps all 4 tires on the ground longer. If just mild trails no need to disconnect. I disconnected when in Moab and I could not believe how much it helped and made the jeep feel more planted and safer.

4red2220 07-19-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler49009
Yes,
I know this has been asked before. Many times actually. And the opinions are like snowflakes...

Straight up. I want the most agressive look with the best ride and feel I can get without lifting and rubbing.

I have attached pics of the jeep, and the current tire/wheel setup.
Goodyear Wrangler SRA 25575R17
I know I want black alloy wheels. I'm not stuck on 17" wheels.

Just give it to me straight..lol. (AND yes I have read the sticky on biggest tires for stock)
I want your current setups and what has worked for you. Pictures and details.

Joe
Hey Joe,
if your sticking to ur factory 17's u can do 33's w/out a lift, however you will need spacers for ur wheels as the offset will rub on components. i went with 285/70/17 for 2 months till i got my lift. No rubbing whatsoever and i'm able to retain the front airdam. then again...i had correct backspacing with my wheels.

Wrangler Rule of thumb.... 4.5 backspacing or less w/ ALL wheel sizes.

-Dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4red2220
I'm in the same boat. I just purchased a 2013 4 door sport. I'm looking to put on a set of rims and tires. Also wanting to level the body and needing info on that as well.
You can do the teraflex leveling kit that comes with rear links. pretty easy to install at a great price. $130ish. 2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the back for a more leveled look.

you can probably fit 35's there but it might cause rubbing offroad. Its a nice look but you will want a bigger lift sooner than later.

-Dwight

i also have a great review regarding a lift kit thats under a grand. do it once, do it right and more room to upgrade.

Rubicon Express 2.5 Monosteins Review

Thanks for info. I don't want to drop alot of money into a lift kit for now. I currently have 3 growing kids in the house and I'm running on a modest budget. Another question is what size tire do I need to achieve a 31 to 32? I'm going to run a 16 X 8 rim.

dawhitesJKU 07-19-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks for info. I don't want to drop alot of money into a lift kit for now. I currently have 3 growing kids in the house and I'm running on a modest budget. Another question is what size tire do I need to achieve a 31 to 32? I'm going to run a 16 X 8 rim.
i'd say go bigger.
for a 16x8 with stock suspension... you could do jadmt's size 285/75/16. Minimal power loss (depending on tire) and has a great jeeper look.

slapmypc 07-21-2013 12:14 PM

I just mounted a set of 285/70/17 Duratracs on a set of level 8 strikes 17x9 w/5"backspacing. No rubbing. Everyone says 4.5" BS is the minimum but a 5" will actually push the inside tirewall 1/4" out from your stock 255/75r17's ( in a 285 width ). I wanted to keep as much tire under the fender as possible ( I prefer driving to washing ) It looks right and tight. On the stock wheel (6" BS ) you may rub.

wrangler49009 07-21-2013 06:57 PM

slap...do you have a picture? I swear a person could write a book on just tires and wheels for the wrangler. 50 different posts with 50 all together different routes they took with wheel and tire sizes.

JenyGirl 07-21-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stad33 (Post 3978073)
^^^^^^
What he said.

I did the 285/70/17 as well with the TF leveling kit.

I want this ride!!! And jadt's. can u Tell me the style rim you have as well as size and the same for the tire :-)

JenyGirl 07-21-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3978281)
X2 on toyo at2 I have been to Moab with them and so far the only thing they have not been exposed to is mud. they have performed great on rocks, sand, snow and ice and whisper quiet and smooth on the highway at all speeds up to 85mph. I have no lift they are 285/75-16 e rated on 16X8 rims with 4.5" BS.

I've been asking about a good all-terrain, but mainly snow, ice and rain tire and I'm not too crazy about that dura look. I'm definitely going to have to check into this brand of tire!!!! ASAP

What is 4.5" bs mean? Trying to decipher that number to see what it equates to in size :-) What brand rims do you have?

I love these all-black wheels on here

stad33 07-21-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenyGirl (Post 3987679)
I want this ride!!! And jadt's. can u Tell me the style rim you have as well as size and the same for the tire :-)

Mine are 17 inch MB TKO wheels with +18 offset or 5.5 backspacing on Toyo AT2's (285/70/17)

jadmt 07-21-2013 07:54 PM

4.5" backspacing rims are Raceline Raptors 16X8. They are well made rims and very reasonable ~$119

slapmypc 07-22-2013 10:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler49009 (Post 3987628)
slap...do you have a picture? I swear a person could write a book on just tires and wheels for the wrangler. 50 different posts with 50 all together different routes they took with wheel and tire sizes.

Here you go.
Attachment 275984
I think tucking the tire tight to the truck you get a better looking stance ( my opinion-YMMV ) It also reduces the negative steering effects brought on by a wider track and wider tire. I still notice the steering feeling "heavier" with the new shoes. It gets worse the wider you get.
Attachment 275985
Attachment 275986
Look at the spare. With the new wheel tire combo, the inside tirewall is pulled almost 1/2" out compared to stock (255/75r17 on a 6" BS). Since the 285 is less than a inch taller than the 255, rubbing at full lock or under articulation isn't an issue.
Attachment 275988
Like most Jeep owners, mine is my DD, so I couldn't justify poor road manners for the "Rock Crawler" looks. The Pine Barrens doesn't have many opportunities for true rock crawling, so a small lift combined with a more aggressive tire makes for the most bang for your buck.:thumb:

JenyGirl 07-24-2013 10:51 PM

. I still can't believe the Jeep I posted was yours. Lmao!!!! Love IT!!!!! Maybe you will just have to come with me because I haven't a clue of everything you just said. And when he mentioned the happy steering, I'm wondering if I should get a lift before I put them on. Just a 2"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.