Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   For people that think factory sound is terrible, question: (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/for-people-that-think-factory-sound-is-terrible-question-256757.html)

boon4376 07-18-2013 07:09 PM

For people that think factory sound is terrible, question:

What year is your vehicle, and did you go with the premium (alpine) system?

I have a 2013 JKU with the Alpine audio upgrade and I think it sounds pretty damn good... Granted the tweeters could be clearer, I think the sub has nice tight bass that can hit pretty hard... Not earth shattering, but that isn't something I'm really interested in.

I know spending $2,000 overhauling it with after market stuff would make the difference night and day, but I actually think the stock system is good enough for me to not need to do that... Even though I have in all of my previous vehicles.

Some people complain about it not being loud enough with the top down - but with the Alpine system, on the highway with the freedom panels removed, I still only need to turn it to 3/4 volume to get it just about as loud as I can comfortably handle.

I was initially thinking the alpine system took the same audio as the base, and just added the sub - but do they actually up the wattage of the other speakers as well?

damndirtydog 07-18-2013 07:16 PM

Base factory stereo blows in my 2009. But I'd rather spend the money on performance mods.
Motly Crue sounds like the Chipmunks.

BadOleRoss 07-18-2013 07:22 PM

I have no problems with the base unit with Alpines in my 2013. Granted, it could be better and I made the mistake of not getting the u-connect package but overall I am happy with it.

dmacarth 07-18-2013 07:27 PM

I have the 13 with Alpine premium and I think it sounds like crap. It is possibly average for standard car stereos but woefully poor compared to almost any other premium system I have heard. I'm in a different rental car every week and almost all of them sound better than my jeep.

Just my opinion though and not worth much.

JKjingle 07-18-2013 07:31 PM

I have a 12 Sahara with the infinity upgrade and I think it sounds great its good enough for me and like OP said not Interested in rattling the entire jeep with bass.

DIXIEDOG 07-18-2013 07:33 PM

I have the premium Alpine and it's not the worst I've heard but it's weak. They must put the sub in the back for looks....it doesn't hit for crap. It's OK but not much "premium" about it if you ask me. Later on down the road I think it might have to get the 15" down firing sub and 1k watt amp treatment just for kicks. The only thing I do like about the factory stereo is it sounds OK and nobody is likely to waste the time stealing it....a lot can be said for that.

WashingtonJK66 07-18-2013 07:36 PM

My 2011 Wrangler stock system is perfectly fine for me.

Welding Rod 07-18-2013 07:37 PM

Hmm, interesting. I have a 13 JKU w/ standard radio and think it sounds pretty darn good.

I take it the Alpine most be about the same and not a lot better?

j2dna 07-18-2013 09:12 PM

Anyone able to compare the older Infinity system to the new Alpine? Better? Worse?

panthermark 07-18-2013 09:57 PM

Alpine is blah.....not the best, not the worst. You just have to adjust the EQ and listen to CD's or high quality MP3's. Don't listen to Sirius....

blueshound 07-18-2013 10:13 PM

I test drove a 2013 with upgraded Alpine stereo. It's not the best, my wife's Ford Edge stock radio sounds better. The jeep radio wasn't horrible but it wasn't worth what they charge for it. I'm leaning toward the basic radio and upgrading with my own setup.

vikingshadow 07-18-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WashingtonJK66 (Post 3977977)
My 2011 Wrangler stock system is perfectly fine for me.

My 2013 stock system is perfectly fine for me, too. Guess I'm not much of an audiophile. I can hear the music and I can understand the words.....works for me!

Scott in Houston 07-19-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3978531)
Alpine is blah.....not the best, not the worst. You just have to adjust the EQ and listen to CD's or high quality MP3's. Don't listen to Sirius....

Sirius does suck beyond belief... Almost not listen-able.

What do you set your EQ to? curious? I can't find a 'good' setting.
Maybe it's because it sucks. lol

(2013 JKU with Alpine here)

st1264 07-19-2013 12:34 AM

I'm used to good audio gear and that stuff isn't good. Anyone who thinks the Premium Alpine system sounds good, doesn't know what good sounds like. Weak amp, horrible HU, mediocre speakers, non-matching tweeters, no real adjustments possible...

If it's good enough for you, no problem. Spend your money on other mods. But some audiophiles are not happy and have torn all that junk out and put better stuff in. To each their own...

Tons of threads on this subject in the Comm & Elec section.

Undrgrnd_Jeep 07-19-2013 04:20 AM

I have a 2013 stock stereo. Decided to go with the stock because I heard the alpine. Wasn't impressed at all. With the amount of money it costs you can upgrade the stock system to something much much better! Image dynamics have been a first choice for me. Had a partial sponsor from them. They are high quality for a great price.

Knuckles65 07-19-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3978531)

Agreed! Sirius does suck. :doh:

Lusus_Naturae 07-19-2013 05:48 AM

We listened to both when we were looking, and ended up knowing either way it would be replaced. The one that had everything else I wanted had the basic headunit, no amp, no sub - made it much easier to upgrade actually.

Fscottkennedy 07-19-2013 05:58 AM

12 JKU with the infinity upgrade, I have no problems at all with the stereo sound. I can hear it riding down the road with the top off and it sounds great with the hard top on and the boom mats installed for insulation. I may be getting old but I do not want my bass over powering my music... Plus I purchased my Jeep for more than just Mall Krawling and cruising for chics... My wife gets really pissed about that second one... LOL!

Knuckles65 07-19-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fscottkennedy (Post 3979413)
I may be getting old but I do not want my bass over powering my music... Plus I purchased my Jeep for more than just Mall Krawling and cruising for chics... My wife gets really pissed about that second one... LOL!

:rofl: about the cruising chicks/wife comment!

I'm in the same boat - I may be getting old and don't want "super bass", but I'd like it to have good quality. The Alpine system just isn't "there". It's too "muddy". I don't want to do a lot to upgrade the "upgraded" sound system, but I'd love to do enough to clean it up...on a budget.

panthermark 07-19-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston (Post 3978992)
Sirius does suck beyond belief... Almost not listen-able.

What do you set your EQ to? curious? I can't find a 'good' setting.
Maybe it's because it sucks. lol

(2013 JKU with Alpine here)

I've changed my speakers, but I think I had it at:
Treble +7
Mid -7
Bass+3

Or something like that.

The problem with the factory system and why everyone calls it muddy is because there is WAY too much mid-bass and there are only two tweeters in the entire system (the tombstones on the dash are not even powered by the amp). Plus you can't control the sub separately.

Knuckles65 07-19-2013 06:21 AM

Thanks for the tip.

I might crank my mid's low and see how that helps!

Bar01 07-19-2013 06:26 AM

I'm not loving the upgrade Alpine in my 2013 JKU. Can someone recommend an stereo upgrade? Trying to keep it under/around $1K but I adore this Jeep and plan to keep it awhile so could go a bit higher.

gunut 07-19-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j2dna (Post 3978341)
Anyone able to compare the older Infinity system to the new Alpine? Better? Worse?

I had a 09 jk with the Infinity upgrade...it sounded decent....now I have a 13 jk with the Alpine...it lacks bass, clarity and definition.....what the hell was Jeep thinking??

Dozer13JK 07-19-2013 09:31 AM

Had the base audio in my '13 JK Sport. It wasn't horrible but it left a lot to be desired. I replaced everything and added a 10" subwoofer.

st1264 07-19-2013 09:36 AM

People have posted that the Infinity system was better than the Alpine.

Best way to upgrade your system if you are an audiophile... rip everything out and start from scratch. If you want good sound and the ability to hear every note with the top off, you'll have lots of work to do :hide:

lolpetewtf 07-19-2013 09:41 AM

Why do people think they need to spend in the thousands to get an aftermarket system? Granted there is no sound system worse than the Wrangler's but you can do it for $500 if you don't mind doing it yourself.

dmacarth 07-19-2013 09:44 AM

I plan to upgrade with better speakers, polyfill and probably outboard amps. Does anyone know of better tweeters that are a direct fit in the dash tombstones?

audigger 07-19-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j2dna (Post 3978341)

I had an 08 Sahara with the Infinity and now have a 13 Rubi with the Alpine...the Infinity had much better sound in my opinion.

lolpetewtf 07-19-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmacarth (Post 3979963)
I plan to upgrade with better speakers, polyfill and probably outboard amps. Does anyone know of better tweeters that are a direct fit in the dash tombstones?

There are tweeters by Polk that supposedly do the trick with a little modding.

I think these are them: Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Silk/Polymer Composite Dome Tweeters (Pair, Black): Car Electronics

I need to do my tweeters soon.

smohr33 07-19-2013 09:52 AM

I don't think the Alpine in my '13 is THAT bad, its definitly muddy at lower volume, especially in the mids, but once you turn the volume up it gets decent. I guess I wasn't expecting much, the HK system in my BMW blows it away, but that was expected and the Jeeps not my DD so its fine for me. I think a big contributor to the problem is speaker placement. Even if you upgrade all the equipment the imaging will still be poor.