Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Pinch Seam and Rubicon Rails (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/pinch-seam-and-rubicon-rails-256886.html)

sunnykk 07-19-2013 10:57 AM

Pinch Seam and Rubicon Rails

The rubicon rock rails extend all the way to the pinch seam. Even if I trim the pinch seam, the rubicon rails will still stick out till that point. Has anyone done any work on trimming the rails match the trimmed pinch seam to give that additional clearance for the rear tires

tabber02 07-19-2013 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
hey sunny! long time. :wavey: yeah, i have trimmed my pinch seam and the rubi rails... what are you looking for?
here's a photo... not great :hide:

X50ARM 07-19-2013 11:16 AM

I cut 1.5" off both the rails and seam. When I cut the rails, I drilled the hole required to reinstall the factory caps back on the rails. Looking at them, you can't tell they have been cut.

sunnykk 07-19-2013 11:40 AM

Thanks for the replies. That's exactly what I am going to do. Just wanted to make sure, I am not totally insane LOL

sunnykk 07-19-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X50ARM (Post 3980299)
I cut 1.5" off both the rails and seam. When I cut the rails, I drilled the hole required to reinstall the factory caps back on the rails. Looking at them, you can't tell they have been cut.

Did you leave the rails on, when you trimmed it. Just curious. I am guessing not. Wanted to see if there was a lazy way to do this

tabber02 07-19-2013 11:46 AM

no. take the rails off. trim the pinch seam... then but the rails back on loosely.. mark your cut... take the rail off and cut the rail.

i wouldn't go with a "hard" number to take off the rails... unless both pinch seams are identically cut. put the rail back up there... see the line of the trim... and match your rubi rails with that. :whistling:

sunnykk 07-19-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3980404)
no. take the rails off. trim the pinch seam... then but the rails back on loosely.. mark your cut... take the rail off and cut the rail.

i wouldn't go with a "hard" number to take off the rails... unless both pinch seams are identically cut. put the rail back up there... see the line of the trim... and match your rubi rails with that. :whistling:

Thanks buddy. Great advice!!

X50ARM 07-19-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabber02 (Post 3980404)

I measured and cut both the rail and the seam back 1.5" from the end on both sides. I couldn't stand everything not being cut the exact same, even if you can't see the difference. Just kind of a freak that way.